NHL'94 Forums

Hello Again and Question

orangeblack92

Hello Again Everyone!

So it's been a while for me, as a schedule that included a full time job with going to grad school the last 2.5 years kept me pretty damn busy.

I was happy to be able to attend tournaments both in Long Island and Vancouver during that time though!

So, unfortunately, my current laptop is crap. Part of the keyboard doesn't work sometimes, and it is just very very slow. Playing online with that thing doesn't seem possible at this point.

I recently purchased a google pixel slate tablet with a keyboard, which is an android device, not windows.

So I am wondering if retroarch runs on android, and if I will be able to play online, or even play by myself at all.

Any insight or help with this would be greatly appreciated. Thanks so much!

5 hours ago, orangeblack92 said:

So, unfortunately, my current laptop is crap. Part of the keyboard doesn't work sometimes, and it is just very very slow. Playing online with that thing doesn't seem possible at this point.

People are mostly using Retroarch instead of Gens these days.  Once it is installed, you can "drive" it with a controller, and bypass the keyboard entirely (except for a couple needed keys).

Sooo.... I would recommend installing it, using a controller, and seeing if if the laptop is really too slow or not versus CPU.  If it works, then try netplay.

Welcome back!

Edited by aqualizard

Nice to see you back again.

Don't think you can get a wired connection with a tablet but that doesn't seem to bother most people who play (except for when they score against the people they're playing.)

Retroarch is in the google play apps store, no?

As for netplay.. not sure, some 'cores' don't talk well between different operating systems (e.g. we can't currently play Sega between windows and mac)

4 hours ago, smozoma said:

Retroarch is in the google play apps store, no?

As for netplay.. not sure, some 'cores' don't talk well between different operating systems (e.g. we can't currently play Sega between windows and mac)

This is more of a 32-bit to 64-bit problem (Mac version is only 64-bit). People have played others using a retropi setup online with no issues (that I'm aware of).

@jer_33  maybe? 

8 minutes ago, chaos said:

This is more of a 32-bit to 64-bit problem (Mac version is only 64-bit). People have played others using a retropi setup online with no issues (that I'm aware of).

@jer_33  maybe? 

Who's still using 32bit here? Maybe we gotta nudge some people to upgrade if it's preventing us from joining our windows and mac communities (although really the RA or core people should just short out who's gonna fix the bug)

1 hour ago, smozoma said:

Who's still using 32bit here? Maybe we gotta nudge some people to upgrade if it's preventing us from joining our windows and mac communities (although really the RA or core people should just short out who's gonna fix the bug)

The dev for the core said there are 64-bit pointers in the code for sound emulation, but they are not used. He's against changing it right now because it would screw save-state backwards compatibility so he's waiting for a bigger reason to change the state code. It is open source, so I was planning on removing them and seeing what happens.

I think there's still plenty of 32-bit Windows users in the community. 

@smozoma - heres a link to the issue on GitHub - https://github.com/ekeeke/Genesis-Plus-GX/issues/311

• Thanks 1