NHL'94 Forums

2020 Summer Salary Cap League

Summer Salary Cap League 

Thanks to initial input from Raph, AJ, Tex, Ice, Schmidt, Lupz, and Chaos, I’ve decided to pilot a salary cap league. There is no draft, there are no trades,  and once a roster has been submitted, no add/drops. 

On their own, each coach will select 5 F, 4 D and 1 G while staying under a budget of $685. This league will inevitably have duplicate players.  Additionally, the difference between your highest and lowest priced players must be no greater than $35; done intentionally to mitigate extreme roster front loading. It’s mathematically possible to roster a $100 player. 

There’s strategy in building a roster to each coach’s style to which I hope everyone finds enjoyable yet somewhat challenging in lieu of a multi day draft. 

Every player has a dollar value from $50 to $100. Players are bucketed and tiered in $5 increments. Values have been subjectively determined by their overall game rating and utility in online play.   Most buckets have a wide array of players to fit a variety of playing styles. A poorly constructed roster will be at the feet of its architect and nobody else. 

Game rules will be standard classic: 5 minute period, no changes, penalties on, no offsides. Advantages will neutralized as best as possible through an average/average or high/low setup (tbd). 

Season format will be anywhere from 2 to 6 games vs each coach depending on the number of responses. Responses will also determine having 1 division or multiple experienced/skill based divisions. Rosters will be capped at 28 and inserted into one rom. First come, first serve with team names. 

Playoff format will be determined once the number of coaches and divisions are known. 

The goal of this league is to have competitive fun with players coaches have hand picked. Any lack of cooperation or respect won’t be tolerated. Those with a history of poor sportsmanship need not submit an entry. 

Attached here is a doc of player values and a template for filling out your roster. Another wrinkle to keep things fun is to submit your roster to me through Discord dm so everyone’s roster is uninfluenced by how others have drafted. 

Since this a new concept, we are announcing now and will accept entries until June 7th (no longer June 14th). The hope is to get the rom finalized and the season started sooner. Season will start up once a rom is finalized. 

Please let me know of any egregious price errors or any other questions you may have. Thanks guys!

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1DGeuauD1Yx2LVFbHVg5Z2Ily5HpGwpy2knWJHBfopfU/edit

Submitted Rosters:

1. @kidswasted- Boston 

2. @IceStorm70- Buffalo 

3.  Fluffhead47- Philadelphia 

4 @Scribe99- Calgary 

5 @JSchmidt- New Jersey 

6 @sonoffett87- Pittsburgh 

7 Chris O- Los Angeles 

8 @Jamiesoccer- Chicago

9 @LeifErikson-Minnesota 

10 @kentuckywindage- NY Rangers 

11 @Raidercanuck1329- Vancouver

12 @corbettkb- Dallas

13 @jer_33 - Toronto

14 @Thrillhouse- Montreal 

15 @niuhuskie224- Quebec 

16 @AdamWoodrow-Anaheim 

17 @hokkeefan- Detroit 

18 @Lupz27- Edmonton (Replaced by Tess)

19 @seamor- Tampa Bay

20 @badass94- Islanders

21 @angryjay93- San Jose

22 @Hasek39- Winnipeg 

23 @strongsalad- St. Louis 

24 @chaos- Winnipeg 

25 @MikeGartner22- Hartford

26 @Brutus- Washington 

Replacement coaches: 

@kingraph

Edited by MikeGartner22

For those new to the community and less familiar with spreadsheets, here is a walkthrough to create a team. My apologies as my screenshots are of mobile views. 

To create a team using the template click the link above and then save a local copy to your google drive or computer by doing the following: 

1 open the shared doc and find the “•••” 

2 select share and export 

3 select save as copy or save as excel 

4 in the player tabs, type the exact name of the player. Adding a space after a player’s last name will throw off the lookup function ie “Wayne Gretzky” and not “Wayne Gretzky “

4134D079-24EE-43B7-9453-09A3F821DBF8.jpeg

73577E37-F1CB-4924-BAE9-80A4B27FD718.jpeg

A093667D-6A78-4421-A51B-23CD4D943C49.jpeg

5C7474CA-591D-42F0-A1C1-03B7B96B501E.jpeg

Edited by MikeGartner22

9 hours ago, BigValboski said:

I'm interested in joining if possible

Welcome bud! I like your name because it sounds like mine!

I just want to point out that this is a Genesis league, not SNES. Maybe that should be made more apparent?

Your profile says you're a SNES guy, so I'm not sure if you're also interested in Genesis.

Cheers

Just now, Bob Kudelski said:

Welcome bud! I like your name because it sounds like mine!

I just want to point out that this is a Genesis league, not SNES. Maybe that should be made more apparent?

Your profile says you're a SNES guy, so I'm not sure if you're also interested in Genesis.

Cheers

Interested in both, grew up playing both, prefer SNES. I just want competitive play! Is there a way to get in?

1 hour ago, BigValboski said:

Interested in both, grew up playing both, prefer SNES. I just want competitive play! Is there a way to get in?

We’re just about to kick off a season. I’ll add you to the list of replacement coaches. Thanks!! 

7 minutes ago, MikeGartner22 said:

We’re just about to kick off a season. I’ll add you to the list of replacement coaches. Thanks!! 

Awesome! Will I need to provide anything or just sit tight with everything downloaded and my roster in mind?

• 2 weeks later...

This is such a cool idea and it’s been a lot of fun despite getting smoked by a lot of you guys. I hope someday this can be done on SNES as I mostly play on that. The players would need to be shuffled around a bit on the spreadsheet due to not having the weight bug. @Mike Gartner how did you determine the rating adjustments? I’d like to work on this myself someday as a rough draft before possibly setting up a league for it but I know almost nothing about ROM customization and it’s tough finding time to tinker with a toddler around 24/7 lol. 

For Genesis, @kingraph crafted an awesome excel file that first replicated and ties to the stock rating calculation within the original game but then also created a dynamic calculation where the user can give more or less weight to any attribute. I toyed with those a little bit. 

We landed on final dollar amounts after eye balling values with the help of 
Raph, AJ, and Chaos based on everyone’s use playing online.

I’m not sure how much modifying goes on with snes guys that’s a blind spot for me in the community. 

Edited by MikeGartner22
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, MikeGartner22 said:

For Genesis, @kingraph crafted this awesome an awesome excel file that first replicated and ties to the stock rating calculation within the original game but then also created a dynamic calculation where the user can give more or less weight to any attribute. I toyed with those a little bit. 

We landed on final dollar amounts after eye balling values with the help of 
Raph, AJ, and Chaos based on everyone’s use playing online.

I’m not sure how much modifying goes on with snes guys that’s a blind spot for me in the community. 

For reference: https://forum.nhl94.com/index.php?/topic/19828-custom-nhl94-player-attribute-overall-calculation-spreadsheet/

• Thanks 1