NHL'94 Forums

ROM I made - NHLPA 89

Matt55

I make a ton of stuff just for my own enjoyment, but with the extra time at home, I thought others might be interested in trying something new.

* This ROM uses the weight bug, and I strategically lowered a few players' weights to add more hitters to the game experience.  I always thought that hitting with the lighter weight bug guys was just more fun.

* Besides that "inaccuracy," the game includes San Jose, Tampa, and Ottawa because I work from the Original ROM.  (I believe that other versions won't work on my Everdrive.)

* It is made to play with line changes - with some fun hitters and fighters (but bad scorers) added to the checking line.  I set up 3 lines with fun in mind.

* Try playing solo with a bad team or mid-level team and do not allow yourself to use "the move."

I made the game based on my fond memories of my first set of Topps cards and my first Panini sticker album and filled gaps with Hockey Reference.com.  I made several tweaks for my what I consider "fun factor over accuracy," but I also pay close attention to stats/history.  If anyone wants to know more, I can explain my ideas, but I would say - just try it and enjoy!   89 NHLPA WB.bin

89 NHLPA WB.bin

Edited by Matt55
  • Thanks 3

3 hours ago, Matt55 said:

* Besides that "inaccuracy," the game includes San Jose, Tampa, and Ottawa because I work from the Original ROM.  (I believe that other versions won't work on my Everdrive.)

I have still never figured out why the 30 team rom does not work on the everdrive.

Aggravating!

7 hours ago, Matt55 said:

I make a ton of stuff just for my own enjoyment, but with the extra time at home, I thought others might be interested in trying something new.

* This ROM uses the weight bug, and I strategically lowered a few players' weights to add more hitters to the game experience.  I always thought that hitting with the lighter weight bug guys was just more fun.

* It is made to play with line changes - with some fun hitters and fighters (but bad scorers) added to the checking line.  I set up 3 lines with fun in mind.

* Try playing solo with a bad team or mid-level team and do not allow yourself to use "the move."

I made the game based on my fond memories of my first set of Topps cards and my first Panini sticker album and filled gaps with Hockey Reference.com.  I made several tweaks for my what I consider "fun factor over accuracy," but I also pay close attention to stats/history.  If anyone wants to know more, I can explain my ideas, but I would say - just try it and enjoy!   89 NHLPA WB.bin

89 NHLPA WB.bin 512 kB · 6 downloads

Hi Matt, I'm brand new here. Which "the move" are you referring to? Also, nicely done on creating this!

6 hours ago, Shockers94 said:

Hi Matt, I'm brand new here. Which "the move" are you referring to? Also, nicely done on creating this!

Thanks!

"The move" is when you switch from backhand to forward and shoot.  90 % of the time, it works every time.

Have you all seen this FANTASTIC article comparing '93 to '94?  It references "the move" as a sign that your "friend" who uses it is actually an irredeemable profligate, a dishonorable rogue, and a gutless puke.

It also introduces an idea that the one-timer was both the best and the worst thing to happen to the game.

https://grantland.com/the-triangle/nhlpa-93-vs-nhl-94-the-ultimate-showdown/

50 minutes ago, Matt55 said:

Have you all seen this FANTASTIC article comparing '93 to '94?  It references "the move" as a sign that your "friend" who uses it is actually an irredeemable profligate, a dishonorable rogue, and a gutless puke.

It also introduces an idea that the one-timer was both the best and the worst thing to happen to the game.

https://grantland.com/the-triangle/nhlpa-93-vs-nhl-94-the-ultimate-showdown/

Great article especially the Swingers part about righting a historical wrong but in no way shape or form can you use that to put NHLPA '93 ahead of NHL '94. Yes NHLPA '93 had fighting. Yes NHLPA '93 had some things better like being able to bring up the line changes without automatically clearing the puck but it was also way more limited and basic than NHL '94.

From a Gameplay standpoint, NHL '94 is on a different level than NHLPA '93. It's a much deeper engine but it was an interesting point about the ratings system being so different with NHL '94's rating system being like an “everyone gets a trophy just for trying” mentality. I do think that NHL '94's ratings didn't exactly take advantage of the full range of possible ratings. So I think he has a point there that NHLPA '93 may have a more robust rating system, with more variety of ratings between players. But with NHL '94 a little bit of work adjusting the ratings goes a long way to make the gameplay have more variety. Maybe not as much variety as NHLPA '93 but you have to remember NHL '94 is a far superior engine and it's more fine tuned. Even with a less varied ratings system, the ratings differences that are there do make a noticeable difference and in some ways it becomes easier to edit the ratings in '94 than in NHLPA '93.

I have developed a solution to the one-timer problem in NHL '94 by making the goal smaller so one-timers are less accurate. And there is also a code that turns off one-timers in NHL '94 as another solution to the problem. In NHLPA '93 you have exploits and a lot more glitches and cheap ways to score. At least one-timers are skillful and as the article pointed out is a staple to the series. Yes one-timers can lead to a lot of high scoring games in NHL '94 but the article also pointed out that the one-timer problem got worse in NHL '95 “with its weird Pacman-on-ice skating system”. But that just goes to show that NHL '94 had the physics down pat. No other game in the series can touch NHL '94 from a gameplay standpoint. It is a finely tuned hockey engine with the greatest fun factor of any hockey game ever. Lets face it, at its core one-timers are just flat out fun. That didn't stop me from finding a way to make them less accurate but the gameplay mechanic itself is legendary.

It is unclear what version he is comparing the Genesis versions or the SNES versions however the one-timer video he linked is of the SNES version. I don't want to offend any SNES fans but honestly we all know that the Genesis version of '94 reigns supreme. I think it's important to specify which version he is comparing because the SNES versions of NHLPA '93 and NHL '94 maybe be closer than the Genesis versions as the SNES version of '94 has issues that the Genesis version does not. For example, the SNES version of '94 doesn't look as good graphically or run as good as '94 on Genesis, and the minor issues in the Genesis version of NHL '94 that the SNES version doesn't have aren't as big as the problems in the SNES version of '94.

As great and as fun to read as the article is, it has to be said that the verdict of choosing NHLPA '93 based on Swingers or fighting or whatever is mind-bogglingly ridiculous. NHL '94 flat out destroys NHLPA '93. Yes NHLPA '93 is a great game in its own right but there is no way that it can be argued to be a better game than NHL '94.

DownGoesBrown is a Genesis guy and used to play on here 10 years ago (pretty good actually), so I'm not sure why the video clip is SNES.

He writes for The Athletic now if you want more of his stuff. He used to write a Leafs-themed blog which was hilarious (still available here.. note the precog mention of Tavares being on the Leafs .. in 2008 http://www.downgoesbrown.com/2008/12/who-took-out-matt-stajan.html)

9 hours ago, smozoma said:

DownGoesBrown is a Genesis guy and used to play on here 10 years ago (pretty good actually), so I'm not sure why the video clip is SNES.

He writes for The Athletic now if you want more of his stuff. He used to write a Leafs-themed blog which was hilarious (still available here.. note the precog mention of Tavares being on the Leafs .. in 2008 http://www.downgoesbrown.com/2008/12/who-took-out-matt-stajan.html)

He couldnt use video with 93 SNES for obvious reasons and because there was one Genesis video with 93, he used SNES video as well. To satisfy all fans. 

Or maybe he converted to the Dark Side...

I agree with that guy on one-timers. And smozoma found the way to disable them after I asked him how to do it. So NHL 94 without one-timers can be played as well. 

41 minutes ago, DominikJagr said:

I agree with that guy on one-timers. And smozoma found the way to disable them after I asked him how to do it. So NHL 94 without one-timers can be played as well. 

Yes that's what I was referring to. The disabling one-timers code for '94 was a great find. Good on you for asking about it and props to smozoma for finding it. I was using that code until I created the smaller goal mod. Playing NHL '94 with one-timers disabled was really fun as I liked lower scoring games but many had asked about a way to make one-timers less accurate so I was happy to deliver the smaller goal mod to the community to accomplish that feat.

Of course the article was written before these solutions to one-timers in NHL '94 were discovered, but even before these solutions were found, I still can't believe he would seriously argue that NHLPA '93 was a better game lol.

59 minutes ago, CoachMac said:

How do you disable one-timers?

For NHL 94:

Open a ROM in a hex editor, and go 0F6944

The value there is 67

Change it to 60

Don't use the classic/default ROM, because it has the checksum. Any other ROM should work.

For NHLPA 93: Open a ROM in an emulator. :-D

Edited by DominikJagr