NHL'94 Forums

How to extract roster info to place into SNES version?

Stefan

Hi.

Rather than doing an entirely new roster update on the SNES, I was wondering if there would be a simple method to use the data from an updated Genesis rom and copy it into an SNES rom?

I've tried to copy with both roster tools, but the CSV file formats are different.

I've also tried to move the data via hex editors, but I've got limited knowledge in it, and a simple copy and paste of individual teams left me unsuccessful.

3 hours ago, Stefan said:

Hi.

Rather than doing an entirely new roster update on the SNES, I was wondering if there would be a simple method to use the data from an updated Genesis rom and copy it into an SNES rom?

I've tried to copy with both roster tools, but the CSV file formats are different.

I've also tried to move the data via hex editors, but I've got limited knowledge in it, and a simple copy and paste of individual teams left me unsuccessful.

Get the CSV from the Genesis version, open it up in Excel or whatever, remove the column description lines (should be first 2 in file), then load it into the SNES roster tool

• Thanks 1

I'll try this 

Does it not matter that the formatting is different? The snes one has spaces between players.

Also, the genesis edits typically have more teams and many more players that the snes can yield. 

Edited by Stefan

6 hours ago, Stefan said:

I'll try this 

Does it not matter that the formatting is different? The snes one has spaces between players.

Also, the genesis edits typically have more teams and many more players that the snes can yield. 

You have to edit the ROM first with the SNES 94 Editor. 

There's a workflow in the first post - 

I have edited a Rom using the editor. I made an updated Rom up to nhl 2013.

My issue is when I export a csv for genesis there are no spaces in the genesis file, and there are spaces for the snes csv. 

I'm guessing there's a way to create spaces between cells, I'm just not great with excel. 

My wife actually created a formula in excel to updated players overall ratings in real time, would you be interested in adding that into a future version? 

Attach your ROM here, there shouldn't be spaces between the fields unless you are selecting the wrong delimiters when importing into excel.

Also, thanks for the offer. I already have Overall calculated with the output. The problem is to be able to insert a formula, the output needs to be an excel spreadsheet. CSV files are more generic and can be easily opened in a text editor, but cannot accept formulas as fields.

May be in a future version, when I have time, I can have it export as a spreadsheet as well. But the overall field is ignored when importing into the ROM, so it really serves no purpose to have (more for personal use)

1 minute ago, Stefan said:

Here's the rom.

Also the genesis CSV has a row for G|H & H/F and the values range from 0-10 it seems, the SNES CSV has values that range from 0-1 (I think indicating whether they're right or left handed players...)

NHL 13.smc 1 MB · 0 downloads

Yes, the G/H (Glove Hand) and H/F only indicate left or right handedness (odd is Right, even is Left I believe?)

6 hours ago, Stefan said:

why are the values 0-10 in the genesis one? It's 0-1 in the SNES one... There's many things I'd have to manually change to make this work.

Did you get the rom?

the value doesn't matter. only the even/odd matters. That's why you can just replace them with 0 and 1.

There's no spaces. You must have been loading it in wrong. I attached CSV and XLS files.

NHL13.xls NHL13.csv

19 hours ago, chaos said:

the value doesn't matter. only the even/odd matters. That's why you can just replace them with 0 and 1.

There's no spaces. You must have been loading it in wrong. I attached CSV and XLS files.

NHL13.xls 176.5 kB · 0 downloads NHL13.csv 32.27 kB · 0 downloads

i dont get it. How did yours end up without spaces?

I'll show you what my CSV file looks like. All I did was extract the rom and that's how it came out.

What's the difference between XLS and CSV?

I'll attach my CSV for reference.

also, when I copy and paste from your CSV (or mine) then go to save the CSV I get an error message indicating: NHL20.csv may contain features that are not compatible with CSV (Comma delimited). Do you want to keep the workbook in this format?
- To keep this format, which leaves out any incompatible features, click Yes.

- To preserve the features, click No. Then save a copy in the latest Excel format.

- To see what might be lost, click Help.

So I save it anyway, then import the CSV to the rom and check to see if it's been changed in SNESEditor and it hasn't saved.

Damnit :(

nhl.csv

Edited by Stefan

What I attached was the output csv file from the Roster Tool. I then opened it in Excel and saved it as a spreadsheet.

The only important thing to do is if you plan on saving a spreadsheet in a CSV format, select all the filled cells and set them to "Text" fields instead of "General". Then save as a CSV, ignore the warnings.

Export the ROM again, then open it up in a text editor (WordPad or NotePad in Windows). Look and see if there are spaces between the players (there shouldn't be). 

Then load it into Excel. It's possible Excel is adding the spaces, and you might have to change the import CSV settings (no idea where they are, old versions I do, look up on internet).

Also, are you using the newest version of SNES Roster Tool (0.55?) It could be a bug (I will look into it).

EDIT: I Think this is a bug. I'll fix it and release tomorrow.

On 5/23/2020 at 6:04 AM, Stefan said:

There's spaces when I extract a rom to a CSV. 

I'll check your files tomorrow, thanks for being responsive to this, you're a good community member. 

Same thing happened with me the other day. However I just sorted by Abv(Team Abbreviation) and it worked fine. Otherwise if you just start editing  the raw export file(.csv) and try to import into the ROM it will not work.

Edited by kidswasted
typo