NHL'94 Forums

Hash Dash - A look at player speed/acceleration

jer_33

So since joining the site and participating in all of the draft leagues I've always thought it would be interesting to know which players stack up speed-wise.

We know that there are 3 attributes that play into a player's speed:

1. Weight (higher weight reduces acceleration)
  2. Speed (top speed)
  3. Agility (acceleration)

Now, we all know who the speedsters are - but how do the heavier weights stack up? This is an important topic when you get to the later rounds of a draft.

I did not test the entire league, and have only tested 3 teams (CGY/VAN/QUE 69 players total) - but think the results are important.

My test was simple, how fast could a player go from a dead stop at center-ice to the first set of hash-marks skating in a straight line? I used smoz's hot/cold hack to collect proper agility/speed numbers, and set each player from each team in the shoot-out mode in Retroarch. I had RA display a running frame total, and recorded each player skating. I then marked the starting frame and ending frame for each which gave me a measurement that I could convert to time (# frames divided by 60 = seconds). Now some of these players would not have reached top speed in that short distance - but that is not what I was measuring, this was a sprint - all acceleration.

Fastest player in the test was Bure (1.93 seconds), slowest was Smyth (3.00 seconds). So there is more than a full second spread in that dataset.

Let's have a look a look at the data:

ScreenClip000001.jpg

It's important to note that many of these players would have had hot/cold stats, Looking at 7 weight players with 4Agi/4Spd - there is a 0.12 second spread depending on the bonuses. Sundin was neither hot/cold on the highend and Ricci's Spd stat was COLD.

Also interesting to see the 3/3 speed players of various weights, all in the 2.30-2.38 range. You've got players ranging from 6 weight all the way up to 10 weights putting up similar times. Lapointe in this group had a max speed bonus, while those putting up the low end of the range were COLD.

I kind of threw this post together, just to get the information posted somewhere - before it disappeared on my hard-drive. Hopefully someone will find this handy when drafting a team.

I'll make an effort to add another couple teams, and update my findings in the future.

• Like 3

11 hours ago, jer_33 said:

So since joining the site and participating in all of the draft leagues I've always thought it would be interesting to know which players stack up speed-wise.

We know that there are 3 attributes that play into a player's speed:

1. Weight (higher weight reduces acceleration)
  2. Speed (top speed)
  3. Agility (acceleration)

Now, we all know who the speedsters are - but how do the heavier weights stack up? This is an important topic when you get to the later rounds of a draft.

I did not test the entire league, and have only tested 3 teams (CGY/VAN/QUE 69 players total) - but think the results are important.

My test was simple, how fast could a player go from a dead stop at center-ice to the first set of hash-marks skating in a straight line? I used smoz's hot/cold hack to collect proper agility/speed numbers, and set each player from each team in the shoot-out mode in Retroarch. I had RA display a running frame total, and recorded each player skating. I then marked the starting frame and ending frame for each which gave me a measurement that I could convert to time (# frames divided by 60 = seconds). Now some of these players would not have reached top speed in that short distance - but that is not what I was measuring, this was a sprint - all acceleration.

Fastest player in the test was Bure (1.93 seconds), slowest was Smyth (3.00 seconds). So there is more than a full second spread in that dataset.

Let's have a look a look at the data:

ScreenClip000001.jpg

It's important to note that many of these players would have had hot/cold stats, Looking at 7 weight players with 4Agi/4Spd - there is a 0.12 second spread depending on the bonuses. Sundin was neither hot/cold on the highend and Ricci's Spd stat was COLD.

Also interesting to see the 3/3 speed players of various weights, all in the 2.30-2.38 range. You've got players ranging from 6 weight all the way up to 10 weights putting up similar times. Lapointe in this group had a max speed bonus, while those putting up the low end of the range were COLD.

I kind of threw this post together, just to get the information posted somewhere - before it disappeared on my hard-drive. Hopefully someone will find this handy when drafting a team.

I'll make an effort to add another couple teams, and update my findings in the future.

Hey @jer_33 I wasnt sure if you know but you can advance frame-by-frame in RA (k key? I think check hotkey binds). This might help in determining exact end frames (unless you did this already :) )

• Like 1

"I used smoz's hot/cold hack to collect proper agility/speed numbers"

One of the hacks allows you to disable hot/cold entirely. Should make it much easier to see a pattern.

24 minutes ago, smozoma said:

"I used smoz's hot/cold hack to collect proper agility/speed numbers"

One of the hacks allows you to disable hot/cold entirely. Should make it much easier to see a pattern.

I did consider that, even made the rom - but I also wanted to see how hot/cold stats compared to players around them. Is a hot 3/3 player as fast as a cold 4/4 player (it would appear not), but hot agility/speed would make a 10 weight player faster than a non-bonused 7 weight.

If this practice has shown me anything, it's opened my eyes up to the true effects of HOT/COLD.

A 3/3 player who is maximum hot should be the same as a 4/4 player who is maximum cold, because each 1 point increase in base attribute is worth 5 in the game, and the maximum hot bonus is +2 and the largest cold bonus is -3. That -3 is very rare though.  3*5+2 = 17 = 4*5-3.