NHL'94 Forums

Logo Order in NHL'94 ROM

kingraph

Fun fact - the order in which you find the team logos in the NHL'94 ROM (original, not the 30 team ROM) isn't in order.  Two teams are off - Dallas and New York Islanders.  The reason, I am guessing, is they lifted these logos straight from NHLPA ("93").  Dallas was Minnesota, which was right after Los Angeles and before Montreal.  And New York Islanders was "Long Island", which was after Hartford, but before Los Angeles.  If those team names are changed, they end up in the right order.

I guess I can reference '93, but I'm pretty sure this is the reason. 

order.png

That's it, just thought that was fun to see.  

• Thanks 1
  • Like 1

That is nice factoid. 

As an aside, I've always wondered if why Anaheims' uniforms are so far off the mark.

Also, I guess it's still Campbell and Wales All-Stars teams because the league didn't announce the change yet. 

9 hours ago, smozoma said:

Kind of funny that they'd insert Ottawa and Florida in the alphabetical order but not fix the other ones.

It gets funnier when you compare that to the order of the actual team data. The two expansion teams come at the end after Washington, who apparently come after Winnipeg for some reason. And Dallas is again slotted between LA and Montreal, suggesting the move from Minnesota was a late development. The Islanders are properly positioned, though.

21 minutes ago, Bob Kudelski said:

Do you mean Anaheim and Florida?

Probably.

Every time I see this thread my eyes read, "Law and Order, in NHL'94 ROM." I need new reading glasses.

7 hours ago, DeterminedApathy said:

It gets funnier when you compare that to the order of the actual team data. The two expansion teams come at the end after Washington, who apparently come after Winnipeg for some reason. And Dallas is again slotted between LA and Montreal, suggesting the move from Minnesota was a late development. The Islanders are properly positioned, though.

Cool site!  The expansion teams coming at the end makes sense.  The WSH WPG reversal on the team data is funny.  I wonder if that was the same in '93 and they just kept it?  I can check when I get back on my home laptop.  

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/28/2020 at 3:46 PM, kingraph said:

Cool site! The expansion teams coming at the end makes sense. The WSH WPG reversal on the team data is funny. I wonder if that was the same in '93 and they just kept it? I can check when I get back on my home laptop.

A quick check of 93's ROM confirms it is the same there, as well as 95 (they're flip flopped in 96). I wonder if their abbreviations (WPG and WSH) have something to do with it. Same oddities also apply to the SNES versions of 93 and 94 and the Sega CD version of 94.

A couple similar oddities I noticed:

• Dallas' data is still between LA's and Montreal's in 95 and 96 (it's in the correct spot in 97 and 98). Strangely, Anaheim and Florida's data were moved to the correct spots (before Boston and between Edmonton and Hartford, respectively), though. Weird that they'd move them but not Dallas.
  • In 97 and 98, both Colorado's and Phoenix's data are in the proper spots (between Chicago/Dallas and Philadelphia/Pittsburgh, respectively) following their respective relocations, yet in 98, Carolina's data is between Florida's and LA's, an obvious remnant of their relocation.
Edited by SabreFan1
  • Thanks 1