NHL'94 Forums

End of the World Fantasy ROM

clockwise

This is a half baked ROM hack from 10 years ago that I never finished but was considering completing it little by little as my last project ever. 

The concept is this: the fate of the world depends on winning the Stanley Cup... Plot is a little thin, but it's a work in progress

Here are the teams so far:

1. Wu-Tang Clan 
  2. Predators (invisible skaters)
  3. Jeremy Roenick (with no goalie / empty net)
  4. Middle Earth Lizard People
  5. WWF
  6. Marvel Super Heroes
  7. DC Super Heroes
  8. Cosa Nostra
  9. Chicago Gangsters
  10. Tech Support
  11. San Quentin, Death-Row Fugitives (from old 2on2, league rom)
  12. MemeStars
  13. West Coast Billionaires
  14. NHL'94 All-Stars
  15. The Warriors 
  16. Storm Troopers
  17. Retirement Home Seniors
  18. Hades Undead Skeletons
  19. Vaticans
  20. Woodstock Hippies
  21. Japan Yakuza
  22. Bloods
  23. Crips
  24. Russian Mafia
  25. Shaolin Monks
  26. Ninjas 
  27. Democrats
  28. Republicans
  29. Pimps
  30. B-Listers
  31. Phantoms
  32. Russian All-Stars

Open to any suggestions. The crazier the better. Maybe we can squeeze in a Mutant League Hockey Team.

Bolded = confirmed teams

• Haha 2

West Coast Billionaires. Like the Vancouver Millionaires, but it's Bill Gates, Steve Jobs (back from cryostasis), Elon Musk, etc. Their money can't help them here, but they feel like they have the most to lose. So they play.

Everyone knows the Vaticans only play in the minor leagues.

Dune's House Atreides. The ice must flow. They attack really slow, but their strategies and mind games are top notch.

Game of Thrones. A first round exit would still be a better ending.

Whose Line is it Anyway? 1st line, 2nd like, checking like, doesn't matter; no one is better at improvising on the fly. Goal horn needs to be customized to be the game buzzer. Hoe-down organ music.

• Like 1

I love a good fantasy ROM. Here are a few quick ideas.

A Mighty Ducks superteam combining the actual NHL franchise, the movies, and the cartoon.

Shadow team - blacked out sprites.

A bunch of punny/joke names, e.g. a forward named Willie Passit, a defender named Noah Fence.

I also remember playing some other hockey game (ESPN NHL, I think) that had a parody take on the "hidden playable celebrity" idea. You could play as a Republican or Democrat team but their stats were as bad as you'd expect from a bunch of middle-aged politicians.

• Like 1

West coast billionaires need to have exo mech suits. So we can have mecha-Bezos.

@DeterminedApathy shadow team is something I had in mind, but ninjas. Or same thing, really. 

And yes! Probably going to be doing a Republican and Democrat teams, too.

B-List actors?  Or movie characters who all die early in the movie?

Famous generals from history?

The Washington generals?  (Or worse on the same thread, the Charlestown Super-Chiefs- it's a train!)

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, Asher413 said:

B-List actors?  Or movie characters who all die early in the movie?

Famous generals from history?

The Washington generals?  (Or worse on the same thread, the Charlestown Super-Chiefs- it's a train!)

B-list actors is in consideration.

Also considering the Food Truck Hipsters... Not really sure how to do the UNIS. 

Only a couple spots left. I'll be check marking the locked-in teams sometime this weekend.

Classic Rock Stars(Zeppelin, Who, Floyd, Stones, AC/DC, Sabbath, etc)

Military/Police?

Dead Presidents

Canadian non-hockey athletes(Steve Nash(NBA), Larry Walker(MLB), Lennox Lewis(Boxing),  Gary/Paul Gait(Lacrosse),  Ben Johnson(Track), Georges St Pierre(UFC), etc)

Cartoon Characters-Looney Tunes, Muppets, Disney, etc

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, jer_33 said:

Gotta have a team from the best 80's Canadian hockey-themed board game Phantom's of the Ice!

SLAPSHOT cards.jpg

No idea was this is but it looks AWESOME!

17 minutes ago, kingraph said:

The gangs from The Warriors, led by Luther.  Or the warriors themselves.  Uniforms can be skin with leather vests.

This is a good one translates well for a team.

4 minutes ago, I got the puck said:

The Avengers? can't talk the end of the world without involving Marvel superheroes right?

They are in there and so are the DC super heroes... Considering doing the villains but be hard to represent them on the ice. It's easy for a team like the Lizard People (green faces) etc.

2 hours ago, smozoma said:

MemeStars?

Leeroy Jenkins, Badluck Brian, Charlie Bitefinger, Scumbag Steve, Hidepain Harold..

lF8QE4W.png

A team of NBA players? the 92 dream team or a combination of the original and the more recent one to fill the roster.

Comedy TV Show leading Men/Women? Seinfeld, Tim Taylor, Al Bundy.. etc. all character names of course.

You have the russian mafia in there... what about an all time Russian All Star team?

Looking at Mutant League Hockey, the rink layout appears to be almost a 100% match and I think I can probably import and rearrange the tiles to give this a more post-apocalyptic feel.

Maybe keep the spiked puck, too?

XctnAZj.jpghYqOnRy.jpgfvQMHca.jpg

• Like 1

6 hours ago, clockwise said:

Looking at Mutant League Hockey, the rink layout appears to be almost a 100% match and I think I can probably import and rearrange the tiles to give this a more post-apocalyptic feel.

Maybe keep the spiked puck, too?

XctnAZj.jpghYqOnRy.jpgfvQMHca.jpg

I started down this venture and you'll realize the MLH crowd is bigger than '94.  I still think you can do it, but it won't be the same size as you think.

• 3 weeks later...

the title for this sounds like something not only mutant league hockey but from Jeff Martin hockey comic book called Hockeypocalypse, where it takes place in a nuclear winter post-apocalyptic Canada and the traditional sport of hockey is now a form of ritual warfare in which communities gamble their resources on the hockey squads that battle for the puck on the ice.

Hockeypocalypse.png

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Trying to figure out if I should be realistic in the ratings, or what? 

Obviously the Democrats and Republicans are gonna be rated 0 for everything. Unless someone want's to donate to Jesus', abolish-95 lobbying group.

• Thanks 1

• 4 months later...
On 11/3/2020 at 2:03 PM, clockwise said:

I'll scratch you down for moral support in post-credits.

Sorry, its just been way too quiet in this thread. that there hasn't been updates on this fantasy mod. i figure those mods get less support over ones that try to replicate other real hockey leagues. it just makes the modding community look uncreative and don't think outside the box for fun ideas for mods. mods like these need more support.

Edited by bushhockeyfan