NHL'94 Forums

Good goalies?

Matt55

So who are considered the good goalies of this game? What ratings make a good goalie? I personally feel like the goalie rating almost doesn't matter, but I also feel like Roy and Belfour may be the worst goalies even though they are rated high. Has anyone experimented with this? Any opinions?

Agility is the most important attribute. Roy and Belfour are the only ones with 99. The goalie ratings in the game also value "defensive awareness" highly but this has very little effect on their actual ability. Puck control and the stick and glove attributes are more important

If using manual goalie, a light goalie can be moved faster (low weigh = fast acceleration)

For SNES, I agree that goalies are pretty indistinguishable. 

For Genesis, I explain how the ratings work and provide a spreadsheet with all the goalie values here: https://forum.nhl94.com/index.php?/topic/19828-custom-nhl94-player-attribute-overall-calculation-spreadsheet/

Personally I am fan of Roy and Belfour and consider them 1A and 1B.  I feel like they can make that one extra save a game, which is huge.  It may not seem like much, but if the average is 4 goals a game (somewhere close to there), saving a goal or even a goal every 2 games (half a goal a game) over a period of time is 12-25%. 

Fuhr is #2 and there is a big dropoff from there to the point where I don't see any goalie being a consistent enough game changer.  

On 5/28/2020 at 10:41 PM, Matt55 said:

I personally feel like the goalie rating almost doesn't matter, but I also feel like Roy and Belfour may be the worst goalies even though they are rated high. 

As Smoz and Raph mentioned, agility is the #1 attribute, and absolutely Belfour and Roy are the best.  Not sure how your experience is so different, but this is inarguable.

On the ROM, all attributes are from 1-6, and Roy and Eddie are the only two that have 6/6 agility.  Fuhr has 5/6, and is the 3rd best goalie, though -- unlike Roy and Eddie -- some might quibble.  After those top 3, there is a big drop off, and correspondingly, the agilities are 4 or less.

3 hours ago, Asher413 said:

(He posted his question in NHLPA 93- the concepts are the same but I'm not sure if the ratings are)

I didn't notice!  Yeah, one of the things that makes 93 so terrible is the lack of manual goalie.   Most people always say play 93 without using "the move".  

13 hours ago, Asher413 said:

(He posted his question in NHLPA 93- the concepts are the same but I'm not sure if the ratings are)

Yes, I was wondering about nhlpa 93.

Without the move, a slap shot to the glove side of a left-handed catching goalie is one of the most popular ways to score. It just seems like Roy always lunges with his glove and misses it. I don't know if it has something to do with that glove-lunge animation that was added after the original ('92) but that lunge almost never makes a save.