NHL'94 Forums

NHL 2020 3v3 ROM by The Sauce

Sauce

Hi Everyone!

I took my latest version of my NHL94 2020 ROM and converted it to 3-on-3 play.  The biggest change/update is that Team #32 is now the fictional skaters/team from the movie Mystery, Alaska

Because, in the movie, the team only had 11 players, I added an extra forward (Scott Gomez) and an extra Dman (Matt Carle).  Both of them are no longer in the NHL but both are from Alaska.  The arena name that I assigned to the team is the one that was used by the Alaska Aces before they moved to Portland.

Here's what you need to know about the rom:

*Includes the weight bug fix, Clockwise helmet sprite patch and Smozoma 3 Stars of the Game hack.
*Shooting accuracy based on goals per game, not season shooting % (as there is no season mode).  Offensive awareness, assists, hits and PM also based on per game averages.  Speed, agility, shot power, and defensive awareness is based on research and reputation.
*95% of the lines combos and D selections were used (confirmed) during the 2020 NHL season, in 3v3 OT.
*You can play 3, 5, 7 or 10 minutes periods.  5 is the default.
*OT (oh, the irony), for this rom, is 60 minutes in length.  May the best team win!

Notable/key differences between this rom and my 5v5 rom include:

* When playing with line changes, the CPU gets the lines wrong.  The CPU treats the CHK line as the #1 scoring line.  The #1 scoring line is treated like the second scoring line.  And, in turn, the 2nd scoring line is treated as a checking line.  That said, I re-ordered them in NOSE.  The CHK line will be the default starting line if you play with line changes on.  Keep this in mind whether you do auto or manual line changes.  If you use NLC, it's a non-issue as that will default the NLC line.
* The PP lines will have 4 skaters to have a man advantage.  If your team gets two men in the penalty box, unfortunately, it will be a 4-on-2.  Can't do anything about that...the good news is, penalties, in this ROM, are only a minute in length (unlike the normal 2:00 length used in my 5-on-5 ROM).
* By default, penalties are on but offsides is turned off.  Feel free to turn it back on if you like...

KNOWN BUGS:
* Player portraits can only be viewed in the main team selection screen.  In any other screen/view, if you allow the portraits to cycle, it will eventually freeze the game.
* The “Winnipeg Freeze Bug" known to all 32 team roms.

If you catch anything errors or mistakes, please feel free to share with me.  I welcome any feedback!

Cheers!

Main Screen.png

McDavid Scores.png

NYR vs MYS.png

NHL94 2020 3v3.bin

Edited by The Sauce
  • Thanks 1
  • Like 2

32 minutes ago, Jkline3 said:

Love this! Such a shame that this can't be OT...

Thank you and, I agree!

While it doesn't impact gameplay, I just noticed a position labeling mistake in the game, when you edit who you want on ice, before or during the game.  I had it correct when I posted for other seasons but it was the one thing I forgot to do this time around.  It's an easy fix.  I will correct it later and re-post this rom tonight.  Update to come...

57 minutes ago, clockwise said:

Nice job! Makes me wish there was a 6-way-play adapter.

It'd be cool if you could change the face-off position of the skaters for this, too.

Do you mean as a default or "on the fly" within the actual gameplay? 

Right now, it is C/LW with a d-man behind.  This is actually the "fix" I have to put in place as they are not labelled correctly in the hex code (my bad).  When you make line edits, in the game, I believe it is showing up as D, RD & LW.  I will re-label them to be D/W/C (as I have done in my 2018 & 2019 versions).  Easy fix.  I'll have it updated in a little bit.

I was literally just working on something like this using the old one we fixed the line editing on! Same wavelength I guess. Mine is a bit more arcadey, so I'll try to embrace that and change things up so I'm not stepping on any toes when I share. As always, awesome work!

1 hour ago, The Sauce said:

Do you mean as a default or "on the fly" within the actual gameplay? 

Right now, it is C/LW with a d-man behind.  This is actually the "fix" I have to put in place as they are not labelled correctly in the hex code (my bad).  When you make line edits, in the game, I believe it is showing up as D, RD & LW.  I will re-label them to be D/W/C (as I have done in my 2018 & 2019 versions).  Easy fix.  I'll have it updated in a little bit.

Actually I was talking with a client and typing about 94 at the same time so I don't really know what the hell I was saying. Doing the same with this client... I'll have to figure out what I was trying to say.

My brain had too many tabs open and I was thinking about the Mighty Ducks flying V formation from the movie. Then I realized that theres only 3 skaters and it would be kinda stupid to have that formation for a face-off.

12 minutes ago, clockwise said:

My brain had too many tabs open and I was thinking about the Mighty Ducks flying V formation from the movie. Then I realized that theres only 3 skaters and it would be kinda stupid to have that formation for a face-off.

Yeah, that would be cool in 5v5 mode.

I just posted the updated version with the position label fix.  Enjoy!

Edited by The Sauce

I just re-posted this rom (hopefully for the last time).  There was a strange glitch affecting the NJ players portraits on the main Team Selection page.  Unlike the "game night" page with Kenny Albert, on the selection page, you can watch the portraits scroll in the 3v3 rom.  The weird thing is, my 5v5 rom doesn't have the issue, and this rom is a copy of it with 3v3 modification.  Not sure what happened to cause it, in this case, but I have fixed it.

Hi All!

Unfortunately, I found another surprise glitch/issue.  I have temporarily removed the 3v3 rom.  I will be fixing it tonight and will re-post as quickly as possible.  I apologize for the need for the fixes and the delay.  The next posted version should be "good to go."  Update to come... 

5 hours ago, The Sauce said:

Hi All!

Unfortunately, I found another surprise glitch/issue.  I have temporarily removed the 3v3 rom.  I will be fixing it tonight and will re-post as quickly as possible.  I apologize for the need for the fixes and the delay.  The next posted version should be "good to go."  Update to come... 

Fixes have been put in place... I did some extra QA/testing... I believe thathis ROM is now "good to go."  Sorry for the re-posts but, I'm glad I was able to catch some things and quickly fix them.  Cheers!