NHL'94 Forums

NCAA - Frozen Four

Jkline3

Amazing stuff once again! I’ve shared it out on social media. 

thank you for doing this!

• Like 1

Just a couple quick notes...

Yes, this one does play faster than the individual conference ROMs that I did. I balanced the teams within their conferences but I did not re-balance them for this ROM. Since you're getting the better teams there are more highly-rated players.

As for team selection, I took the Top 32 teams from the final NCAA Pairwise rankings at the end of the season. The playoff draws are based on the actual seeding methodology (such as no matchups within the same conference in the first round) and are weighted by the bubble teams' odds of making the bracket.

Sorry, just not enough time or energy to do individual player photos... Makes the ROM feel a little incomplete to me but there's around 1,500 college hockey players.

1 hour ago, Jkline3 said:

Just a couple quick notes...

Yes, this one does play faster than the individual conference ROMs that I did. I balanced the teams within their conferences but I did not re-balance them for this ROM. Since you're getting the better teams there are more highly-rated players.

As for team selection, I took the Top 32 teams from the final NCAA Pairwise rankings at the end of the season. The playoff draws are based on the actual seeding methodology (such as no matchups within the same conference in the first round) and are weighted by the bubble teams' odds of making the bracket.

Sorry, just not enough time or energy to do individual player photos... Makes the ROM feel a little incomplete to me but there's around 1,500 college hockey players.

Looks like it'd be fun with line changes. At least I'm gonna try to talk someone into playing with line changes. 

3 minutes ago, clockwise said:

Looks like it'd be fun with line changes. At least I'm gonna try to talk someone into playing with line changes. 

I recommend it... The lines and defensive pairings are based on actual lines used by the teams (some teams mixed up their lines more than others so they're not 100%). No Line Changes uses the highest rated player at each position. When using line changes many teams have very solid first and second lines, some even have a pretty decent 3rd line.

• Like 1

Nice job buddy!  The artwork looks great!  Nice touch on the trophy (brackets page).

Strong in the force, you are.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, seamor said:

Just forwarded this to a buddy I have who plays on Maine. This is one of the best done roms I've played in such a long time, amazing work.

Hope I rated him high enough. No pressure...

• Haha 2

jkline, your rom is fantastic....really had a blast.  Thank you....as I mod other hockey games  I really acknowledge all the hard work that goes into that.   It is really good!!!

It inspire me to do a 94 rom on the CHL, the canadian junior league but I have tried once and failed to accomplish to do one...maybe I did not have the right tools because you seem to have the hang of it since you can quickly put one rom up ...almost once a week for the ncaa...if anybody could give me some advice or links or how tos for doing a rom, I would appreciate.  JKline3, if ever you are interested in my project  (32 teams, 10 from the quebec junior league, 10 from the ontario league and 10 from western league plus a canada vs russia junior challenge) please pm me..otherwise if you or anybody knows how to build a rom from my laptop, I would really appreciate it.  Once again jklIne, thank you very much!!

26 minutes ago, I got the puck said:

...otherwise if you or anybody knows how to build a rom from my laptop, I would really appreciate it.  Once again jklIne, thank you very much!!

Just about everything you need can be found on this site to hit the ground running.  What isn't included could be addressed by the fine folks of this site.  I recommend trying to build something and then asking for help with specific questions/challenges.  You'll find that people here are far more willing/able to help you if you have put in some work.

I'd start by reviewing the Sega Genesis Hacking area of this site (link below).  There is a TON of how-to stuff that has served, me, Jkline and countless others as it was brought to you/us by experts like @smozoma, @clockwise, @slapshot67, @kingraph, @wboy, etc.  Check it out as well as the Tools page.  You'll need NOSE & TM (without a doubt) and possibly EARE depending on what you are looking to do.

A CHL rom is quite an ambitious task.  Fair warning, the team logos can be complex for the 3 leagues teams but, if you practice enough, it gets easier to bring them to life with all of their detail.  I recommend using MS Paint as well as GIMP for photo edits (hat tip credit to @Jkline3 for recommending the latter).

Good luck!  I look forward to seeing your rom when it is done! Cheers!

https://forum.nhl94.com/index.php?/forum/119-sega-genesis-mega-drive-hacking/

Edited by The Sauce

Thanks the sauce, I will look into all of that..it's when I tried a few years ago to hack one and it did not work...problem is I don't have a physical copy of nhl 94..anyway, I'll make serious reading here and hopefully, don't know when, I will find out how to do this rom...I modded nhl 04 and if you can see in 'Other games' forum here, I did quite a few jerseys available for custom play for NHL 2002 ...yes , 2002 so that's why I look into trying again into modding nhl 94...i'll come back soon...cheers!!

Didn't want to let the cat out of the bag or step on anyone's toes but I've already started on artwork for CHL ROMs. I have an unfinished WJC '20 ROM that I'd like to get out of my projects folder first. I have two sons that play and I work for the Chicago Steel in the USHL so without hockey I've had a lot more spare time for... hockey. (I need to get a life) Goal is to give each league their own ROM like the NCAA ones with a combined "Memorial Cup" ROM of the top teams across the 3 leagues.

As @The Sauce mentioned, the tools are all out there and most people are very gracious with their time and expertise and are willing to help out if you're putting in the effort - sometimes even if you aren't :lol:

1 hour ago, I got the puck said:

Thanks the sauce, I will look into all of that..it's when I tried a few years ago to hack one and it did not work...problem is I don't have a physical copy of nhl 94..anyway, I'll make serious reading here and hopefully, don't know when, I will find out how to do this rom...I modded nhl 04 and if you can see in 'Other games' forum here, I did quite a few jerseys available for custom play for NHL 2002 ...yes , 2002 so that's why I look into trying again into modding nhl 94...i'll come back soon...cheers!!

Oh, you don't actually need a physical copy. Download the ROM (cartridge data) from nhl94online.com (bottom-right of the page). It's just a plain old file (nhl94.bin). You edit that and then it can be played on a computer with an emulator (http://nhl94online.com/html/getting-started.php).

Follow the advice of the others and read up on the editing tools and techniques. If you get stuck on something in particular, just make a new post/thread and guys will be glad to give you more specific advice.

Played some games with @seamor. Great one timer with 5 seconds to go in the 2nd game and lots of great plays in the first game, too.

Lots of fun to be had with this rom.

@clockwise Penn State 6 - UNH 2  @seamor
@clockwise Minnesota 3 - New Hampshire 2

• Like 3

1 hour ago, clockwise said:

Played some games with @seamor. Great one timer with 5 seconds to go in the 2nd game and lots of great plays in the first game, too.

Lots of fun to be had with this rom.

@clockwise Penn State 6 - UNH 2  @seamor
@clockwise Minnesota 3 - New Hampshire 2

Thank you for posting this - awesome to see it somewhere other than my laptop! Was very relieved to see that first penalty go off without a hitch, that's where I was getting my glitch. Accidentally overwrote something somewhere that I shouldn't have... 

Jkline....it's great you are working on the chl...the CHL needs some love here...As I am in Canada, if ever you need info about the CHL, feel free to PM me...as far as NHL 94 hacking, I think I should start small and maybe try a 8-team league or one of the CHL league just to start....I was a newbie for nhl 2004 and now took the time to do some nice mods...it's really cool so I hope in the near future do the same for nhl 94.  See you soon and thanks for your answers, it is indeed a great community here!

Edited by I got the puck

21 hours ago, clockwise said:

@seamor floated having a Frozen Four Tournament. I'd def be in for that if line changes are on. 

I'd be down to organize this, I am not too experienced with doing it here, but usually I'm the guy in charge of keeping standings/brackets when my friends and I play.

@-ing everyone who expressed interest just to keep everyone on same page so we can try to figure out how to go about this.

@clockwise, @BigValboski, @kidswasted, @lego

• Like 2

43 minutes ago, seamor said:

I'd be down to organize this, I am not too experienced with doing it here, but usually I'm the guy in charge of keeping standings/brackets when my friends and I play.

@-ing everyone who expressed interest just to keep everyone on same page so we can try to figure out how to go about this.

Go for it! 

A tournament is a better format in a lot of ways

• People don't have to commit to playing a ton of games
  • If things don't go well for newer players they don't complete a ton of games with no chance of making the playoffs and can bow out gracefully
  • Keeps things fast and fresh
  • My preference would be best-of-5, single elimination with a best-of-7 final, but I'm cool with whatever else everyone wants to go with.
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, seamor said:

I'm still interested in this. Hoping to play the ROM this weekend and explore the teams.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...

ok this is now my favorite version of NHL94 - this is fantastic!!!!!

I am taking it one step further - 

I am putting together rosters for all time NCAA teams using your NCAA frozen four rom. 

Wondering if anyone would be interested in helping on two remaining items: 

Replacing AIC with Wisconsin graphics (the graphics already exist in another NCAA rom)

updating the north dakota logo from the hawk to the Sioux (the graphic already exists in another rom)

Let me know if anyone is interested in helping out on this. I almost have the rosters updated. 

• 1 year later...
8 hours ago, Jkline3 said:

Yeah, I spent a summer redoing the player sprites. Unfortunately I'm not tech savvy enough to turn it into a patch...

It’s really, really, really cool. Such a differentiator for the college hockey look in this case too. Went back and played some of your ROMs over the last few weeks and still blown away! Some of the best stuff on this site. 

Maybe one day we can get a total sprite update that combines the work you, AdamCatalyst, and Clockwise have done (and with proper NOSE Sprite tab updates too).