kidswasted

SNES Wireless Controller

Recommended Posts

I'm looking for a recommendation on a SNES style 2.4ghz wireless controller. I want to steer clear of Bluetooth because of noticeable lag. I've been searching for the last two weeks and I haven't found anything worthwhile. I know there is a nice Retrobit Gens controller(https://amzn.to/325TAHw) that I ordered and is on the way. I'd like to use this solely for playing Gens. However I'm looking to see if there's something similar for SNES. 8BitDo has a couple of 2.4 wireless controllers but one is for the original SNES hardware while the other is for the SNES mini. Neither have a USB dongle for PC use. Worst case scenario I just use my iBuffalo wired SNES controller, my wired Xbox one controller, or this new Retrobit Gens controller since it has L and R buttons.

 

Edit: The reason I'm looking to go wireless is because my PC is connected to my living room TV and my couch is ~15ft away. I'm currently using an Xbox one wired controller with a USB extender but my kid has been pulling the cord  or tripping over it and it's a pain taking it out and putting it away.

Edited by kidswasted
Missing reason for going wireless

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Only one I know of:

Tech Specs


System Compatibility


  • SNES
  • Super Familiy Computer
  • Analogue Super Nt

Connectivity


  • 2.4g Wireless Technology for original SNES/SFC
  •      *Bluetooth connection is not applicable
  •  

Dimensions/weight


  • 144*63.5*26.2mm
  • 98g

Battery Type / Battery Life


  • 480mAh Li-on battery, rechargeable
  • 18-20 play hours with 1-2 hour charging time

Includes


  • SN30 2.4g Controller
  • 2.4g Wireless USB Receiver
  • USB Cable

https://www.8bitdo.com/sn30-wireless-for-original-snes-sfc/

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, clockwise said:

Only one I know of:

Tech Specs


System Compatibility


  • SNES
  • Super Familiy Computer
  • Analogue Super Nt

Connectivity


  • 2.4g Wireless Technology for original SNES/SFC
  •      *Bluetooth connection is not applicable
  •  

Dimensions/weight


  • 144*63.5*26.2mm
  • 98g

Battery Type / Battery Life


  • 480mAh Li-on battery, rechargeable
  • 18-20 play hours with 1-2 hour charging time

Includes


  • SN30 2.4g Controller
  • 2.4g Wireless USB Receiver
  • USB Cable

https://www.8bitdo.com/sn30-wireless-for-original-snes-sfc/

Damn that’s what I thought. I’ve only been able to find Bluetooth with USB. Thanks though!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

OP is a little confusing. Kinda-thought this was what you were looking for?

I'd check around their website some more. They have manuals for retrofitting OEM controllers, too.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 hours ago, clockwise said:

OP is a little confusing. Kinda-thought this was what you were looking for?

I'd check around their website some more. They have manuals for retrofitting OEM controllers, too.

It’s almost what I’m looking for but I’m looking for one that works with PC, not the original or mini snes. That’s what I’m having trouble with. Thanks though!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, kidswasted said:

It’s almost what I’m looking for but I’m looking for one that works with PC, not the original or mini snes. That’s what I’m having trouble with. Thanks though!

Maybe you could use the 8bitdo with the Retrousb adapter?

6oNLhbO.jpg

Retrousb SNES to USB adapter.

Looks like it on sale right now, too.

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, clockwise said:

Maybe you could use the 8bitdo with the Retrousb adapter?

6oNLhbO.jpg

Retrousb SNES to USB adapter.

Looks like it on sale right now, too.

Ohhh la la. Maybe this will do it! I’ll let you know if I do it and if it works. Thanks man. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 7/10/2020 at 7:29 AM, kidswasted said:

I'm looking for a recommendation on a SNES style 2.4ghz wireless controller. I want to steer clear of Bluetooth because of noticeable lag. I've been searching for the last two weeks and I haven't found anything worthwhile. I know there is a nice Retrobit Gens controller(https://amzn.to/325TAHw) that I ordered and is on the way. I'd like to use this solely for playing Gens. However I'm looking to see if there's something similar for SNES. 8BitDo has a couple of 2.4 wireless controllers but one is for the original SNES hardware while the other is for the SNES mini. Neither have a USB dongle for PC use. Worst case scenario I just use my iBuffalo wired SNES controller, my wired Xbox one controller, or this new Retrobit Gens controller since it has L and R buttons.

 

Edit: The reason I'm looking to go wireless is because my PC is connected to my living room TV and my couch is ~15ft away. I'm currently using an Xbox one wired controller with a USB extender but my kid has been pulling the cord  or tripping over it and it's a pain taking it out and putting it away.

How bad is the lag on bluetooth? I have the first 2.4 G 8bitdo SNES pad.  It was fine for SNES mini and for usb to pc.  But I needed a pad to connect to real SNES hardware.  I was thinking of the new 2.4G pad above.  But it was not available.  So I bought the 8bitdo BT snes pad and the blue tooth retro receiver.  Haven't had chance to test out the BT yet.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, koke_45 said:

How bad is the lag on bluetooth? I have the first 2.4 G 8bitdo SNES pad.  It was fine for SNES mini and for usb to pc.  But I needed a pad to connect to real SNES hardware.  I was thinking of the new 2.4G pad above.  But it was not available.  So I bought the 8bitdo BT snes pad and the blue tooth retro receiver.  Haven't had chance to test out the BT yet.

I haven't tried Bluetooth but I've read in numerous reviews that there's noticeable lag and to avoid it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 7/12/2020 at 5:40 PM, koke_45 said:

How bad is the lag on bluetooth? I have the first 2.4 G 8bitdo SNES pad.  It was fine for SNES mini and for usb to pc.  But I needed a pad to connect to real SNES hardware.  I was thinking of the new 2.4G pad above.  But it was not available.  So I bought the 8bitdo BT snes pad and the blue tooth retro receiver.  Haven't had chance to test out the BT yet.

Have you had a chance to test the Bluetooth lag yet? I’m trying to make a purchasing decision on either the Bluetooth 8bitdo to usb receiver into my pc or the 2.4 wireless 8bitdo with the original snes receiver and plugging that into a snes to usb convertor and into my pc. It sucks because 8bitdo does not have a 2.4 snes wireless to usb receiver option at the moment. The reason for the push for the wonky 2.4 set up is because I heard the lag is drastically lower than Bluetooth. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

What about getting the 2.4g controller and one of these?

RetroUSB

You plug the controller adapter into the RetroUSB adapter, which plugs into USB on your PC.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, chaos said:

What about getting the 2.4g controller and one of these?

RetroUSB

You plug the controller adapter into the RetroUSB adapter, which plugs into USB on your PC.

That's exactly what I'm talking about if I go the 2.4 wireless route.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, kidswasted said:

That's exactly what I'm talking about if I go the 2.4 wireless route.

Do it.

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I just wanted to provide and update and say that the setup from my previous post works perfectly. No noticeable lag and the controller itself feels solid and responsive. 

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I used my bluetooth controller on real hardware.  Wireless.  If any lag, I didnt really notice.  3 tournament games.  2 wins.  1 loss.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


  • Who's Online   0 Members, 0 Anonymous, 16 Guests (See full list)

    There are no registered users currently online