NHL'94 Forums

All-Time Greatest Team Rosters

kidswasted

I was thinking for my first ROM I wanted to make an all-time legends team for every franchise starting with the Bruins and Red Wings-my two favorite teams growing up. I have a pretty good list for those two teams to start with and I know teams like the Canadiens will be easy to gather legends but tougher to exclude some players. It's mainly going to be roster and line adjustments. At this time I don't think I'm going to mess around with logos and stuff but that could certainly change as I go.

My dilemma is going to be adjusting the attributes for each player. That's going to be the tougher part. I don't have an ETA on this ROM but now that I have the working tools in terms of the roster import tool as well as the ROM editor itself to adjust the lines I'm going to tinker over the next few weeks/months and come up with something that could be pretty cool. Because most of the legends are already retired I shouldn't have to worry about too many roster updates once completed. 

Once I have gathered legends for each franchise I will post a spreadsheet here for you guys to provide any input or feedback. Obviously there will be varying opinions of who to include and who to remove but most should be unanimous. Once I have a finalized list that I'm content with I will try my best to adjust the attributes to what I feel are accurate. However once again I'll provide a spreadsheet containing the attributes to see if I'm way off or close enough.

Anyways, a nice project to look forward to. Any questions about my plan or any advice please let me know. Check back here in at least a few weeks as I will try to check in every so often with my progress.

**Edit 1/22/21

Everything is done. I just need to play around see if I need to adjust any attributes or find any bugs. I may or may not spend some time next week on jersey colors. I'm not sure how to change any menus or player pictures so I will probably skip both of those. I will be testing all of next week with a release of hopefully Friday 1/29. Stay tuned!

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

**Edit 10/23

ROSTERS ARE SET! Let me know what you think. Please check the link below to review:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/14NztfnlOUHAk47gv4G4O4U0VSjgArF4p/view?usp=sharing

I will be working on attributes as my next step. I'm hoping I can complete them by the end of the calendar year using @CoachMac's rating system as a base. Once that's done I will probably publish the ROM. I haven't explored GENS ROM hacks quite yet but if it's not rocket science I will probably publish a GENS ROM too. I probably won't want to spend time with jersey colors or logos unless someone else wants to after the fact. 

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

**Edit 7/27: Adding this here as opposed to a separate thread post for better visibility on updates.**

ROUGH DRAFT ROSTER LISTS ARE DONE! Please provide feedback so I can finalize the rosters by the end of this upcoming weekend hopefully. Then I can begin working on the player attributes and lines. If any of you know of another bud on here that specializes in certain teams please let me know and I can reach out to them for feedback.

I have separated each team into its own tab in the Google Workbook for you guys to agree/disagree with what I have so far. Please provide feedback on any changes or even lineups.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/16BEEwdQupRDICQZ5zShdYsrbo6_wKiW-twWKhDBQ_tc/edit?usp=sharing

Ignore the color coding. That's just for me after I finalize the rosters and color code the lines. However the yellow highlighted cells are where I need some help determining which team the player should be placed on. I'm trying to be firm on having each player on a single team if I can help it.

Edited by kidswasted
Provided final update
  • Like 1

Really tough project to undertake, which is why I only did it with the 2on2 ROM, since that ROM has equal ratings.

Some stuff you'll need to figure out:

• Do you put HOFers on more than one team or only on one? 
    • Gretz won his cups in EDM, but it would feel odd to not have him on the Kings.
  • Do you rate players based on their best season or are they aggregate?
  • How do you rate HOFers from low scoring eras if they're going to be on a team with players from high scoring eras?
  • Which franchises do and do not make the cut?
    • Obviously the original 6 will be there, but Carolina has actually been in the NHL longer than the Whalers were in the NHL.
  • How do you choose which Uniforms make the cut? 
    • One thing to consider is doing home jerseys as the franchises original uniforms and then use the away uniforms as the more modern version. 

As a life long Flyers fan, I'd be happy to offer help on rating their players should you need help.

Good luck!

• Thanks 1

26 minutes ago, kingraph said:

@seventieslordis the foremost expert on legendary players and NHL history.  Might be worth you two connecting on this as I think he was also considering a similar type of project for Genesis. 

I may do just that! Thanks for the tip!

19 minutes ago, clockwise said:

Really tough project to undertake, which is why I only did it with the 2on2 ROM, since that ROM has equal ratings.

Some stuff you'll need to figure out:

• Do you put HOFers on more than one team or only on one? I'm running into this dilemma already. Should I put Belfour on CHI and DAL? LaFontaine on NYI and BUF? Messier on EDM and NYR? The list goes on. So far I'm leaning more towards one team to make room for other deserving guys. I was also considering changing the existing two all-star teams to a North American one and a World one depending on how the regular team rosters look.
    • Gretz won his cups in EDM, but it would feel odd to not have him on the Kings. I agree.
  • Do you rate players based on their best season or are they aggregate? I would say they would all be in their prime, but would also need to have had longish careers with some exceptions like LaFontaine and Bure getting cut short.
  • How do you rate HOFers from low scoring eras if they're going to be on a team with players from high scoring eras? This is something I've been thinking about. I feel like I want to rate them against their peers. Obviously the skaters today, even some beer league guys can probably out skate a lot of the older NHL players(ahem Terry O'Reilly). That brings up another question. Do I only include statistical superstars or do I also include fan favorites like Shawn Thornton of the Bruins or Tie Domi from NYR/TOR? Do I include guys like Probert for the checking line?
  • Which franchises do and do not make the cut? So far I'm going to leave the existing teams in the ROM.  I'm still learning the ins and outs of ROM editing so I don't know what my limitations on number of teams are at this point. However I most likely won't be including 'newer' expansion teams like the Bluejackets, Wild, Thrashers/new Jets, Predators, Golden Knights. However as things progress that could certainly change.
    • Obviously the original 6 will be there, but Carolina has actually been in the NHL longer than the Whalers were in the NHL. This is definitely something to think about.
  • How do you choose which Uniforms make the cut? I'm not even thinking about cosmetic things quite yet. That will be the fine-tuning part after the rosters are complete.
    • One thing to consider is doing home jerseys as the franchises original uniforms and then use the away uniforms as the more modern version.  That is a pretty cool idea.

As a life long Flyers fan, I'd be happy to offer help on rating their players should you need help. I will most likely take you up on that, thanks!

Good luck!

Yep they'll be in there for sure.

For this ROM and this ROM only, they should be... wait for it... the Sauceators.

Top line:

LW: Radsauce Bonksauce C: Jasauce Saucezza RW: Daniel Alfredosauce.
D: Erik Karlsauce D: Wadesauce Reddensauce

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, clockwise said:

For this ROM and this ROM only, they should be... wait for it... the Sauceators.

Top line:

LW: Radsauce Bonksauce C: Jasauce Saucezza RW: Daniel Alfredosauce.
D: Erik Karlsauce D: Wadesauce Reddensauce

I will endorse this!  :)

14 hours ago, Nhl94slapshot said:

Bob: I don't care what the f@¢kin'  qualifications are to be in your game...you f@¢kin' put me in it.

You: uhhhhh...well, I ummm...

Bob: F@¢k this!  We're goin' right now, kid.

Screenshot_20200720-210401.jpg

LMAO this is awesome!

I'm leaning very heavily towards having players on a single team so I will be coming to you guys(the community) on which team these particular players should be placed on(i.e. Gretzky probably on EDM and not LAK). The small percentage of me fighting this are guys like Messier on EDM and also how important he was winning a Cup on NYR and LaFontaine on NYI winning those Cups and then him being on BUF. My thought is this would not necessarily be based on Stanley Cups, individual awards and all-star selections but also the importance for the team to be placed on.

I'm hoping to have a rough draft roster list for each team within the next week or two. I'm putting in TONS of research to get these lists. Trying to balance the teams with players from various eras. Once I get a more well-rounded roster list I will begin working on player attributes. Even though I'd like to keep guys like Probie on the Wings I don't see it happening especially for an original 6 team that is stacked with legends throughout the franchise's history.

Edit: Also, I will be sharing my Google Sheet containing the rough draft roster lists when it's ready.

Edited by kidswasted

@kidswasted Lafontaine could go on either team. He never won a Cup with the Isles or at all. The Isles had Trottier, Bossy, Gillies, etc., and the Sabres had the famous French connection line. So you could put Lafontaine on either team really. I'd lean towards putting him on the Sabres with Mogilny and Hawerchuck since it's a pretty legendary EA NHL trio.

Also, did you know that one or two ROMS with all-time great rosters already exist? You could use those for reference. It was either a SNES Juiced league ROM, or maybe @metzgerism's Capitalism ROM. I have no idea how to find those ROMS. 

Edited by Bob Kudelski
  • Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, Bob Kudelski said:

@kidswasted Lafontaine could go on either team. He never won a Cup with the Isles or at all. The Isles had Trottier, Bossy, Gillies, etc., and the Sabres had the famous French connection line. So you could put Lafontaine on either team really. I'd lean towards putting him on the Sabres with Mogilny and Hawerchuck since it's a pretty legendary EA NHL trio.

Also, did you know that one or two ROMS with all-time great rosters already exist? You could use those for reference. It was either a SNES Juiced league ROM, or maybe @metzgerism's Capitalism ROM. I have no idea how to find those ROMS. 

Oh wow for some reason I thought he won with them. Looks like he just missed out. Yeah I would put him on the Sabres for sure then.

I did not know about those other two ROMs. I will try and see if I can find them. Thanks for the tip! I was like how has this not been done before? I know it's a lot of research and time to put it all together but I feel like tougher ROMs have been created.

Not sure how often you go to hockey-reference, but the franchise pages make it easy to find records, so, that might be one thing the could help you decide what team a player goes on: if they play more games, or have more points for one or another, etc.

https://www.hockey-reference.com/teams/BOS/skaters.html

5 hours ago, clockwise said:

Not sure how often you go to hockey-reference, but the franchise pages make it easy to find records, so, that might be one thing the could help you decide what team a player goes on: if they play more games, or have more points for one or another, etc.

https://www.hockey-reference.com/teams/BOS/skaters.html

This has been my main resource. Also helps me see which guys led the league in which stats for each season. This will help me adjust the ratings for guys from the 1920s-60s or so. This has been extremely helpful. 

As for choosing which team a player is on this has been a lot of help. It also shows their hardware in addition to how many years they were there. I wouldn’t be able to do this without this. 

As an update the following teams are 'done' with the rough draft roster lists:

• ANH
  • BOS
  • BUF
  • CGY
  • CHI
  • DAL/MIN
  • DET

To give you guys a taste I separated these tabs into a separate Google Workbook for you guys to agree/disagree with what I have so far. Please provide feedback on any changes or even lineups.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/16BEEwdQupRDICQZ5zShdYsrbo6_wKiW-twWKhDBQ_tc/edit?usp=sharing

I'm hoping to release these rough drafts in batches like this for everyone to dissect and provide feedback. Ignore the color coding. That's just for me after I finalize the rosters and color code the lines. However the yellow highlighted cells are where I need some help determining which team the player should be placed on. I'm trying to be firm on having each player on a single team if I can help it.

Edited by kidswasted

Will Dallas and Minnesota be combined? I think it's a good idea to have Minnesota as home, with their vintage jerseys, and away as the cup-winning Stars jerseys.

• I'd put Shanny on the Wings, over STL. He was a big part of their cup-winning years.
  • Gretz should be on Edmonton, IMO.
  • I'm torn with Messier, but I'm leaning towards EDM, too.
  • For Whitney, I'd say whichever he has more games played with.
  • Francis should be on Hartford, IMO.
  • Brind'Amour should be on Carolina, IMO.
  • Carter on LA, IMO.
  • Langenbrunner on NJ, IMO.

That's all I got for now I'll look at some of the other ones later on.

• Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, clockwise said:

Will Dallas and Minnesota be combined? I think it's a good idea to have Minnesota as home, with their vintage jerseys, and away as the cup-winning Stars jerseys.

• I'd put Shanny on the Wings, over STL. He was a big part of their cup-winning years.
  • Gretz should be on Edmonton, IMO.
  • I'm torn with Messier, but I'm leaning towards EDM, too.
  • For Whitney, I'd say whichever he has more games played with.
  • Francis should be on Hartford, IMO.
  • Brind'Amour should be on Carolina, IMO.
  • Carter on LA, IMO.
  • Langenbrunner on NJ, IMO.

That's all I got for now I'll look at some of the other ones later on.

Thanks man. This is extremely helpful and I was already leaning towards your same picks.

• Muller is a tough one, but he has nearly twice the # of games for NJ than for any other team. I'd go with NJ, even if he did captain the Habs last cup-winning team.
  • Turgeon is probably the hardest so far. He had his most productive years in NYI, but played the most games in St. Louis. Still, I'd put him on Buffalo. He was the 1st round, 1st overall to them in 87. He only played five fewer games in Buffalo than he did in St. Louis
  • Recchi should be on the  Flyers. Best years in Philly, most games played. 
  • Mark Howe should be on the Flyers. Nearly 700 games played in Philly and 3x finals appearances.
  • MacLeish is Philly no doubt, but I think you meant Tocchet? He is most def a Flyer, though. He was a rental for the Pens, and helped them hoist Lord Stanley, but he only played 150 games there.
  • Hard to imagine Lemieux not being on Que from their epic series with the Wings in the 2000s. You could go either way with NJ, or Que, but I'd put him on the Dekes.
    • Also, IMO, Quebec should have Avs away jerseys.The franchise has spent 10+ more years in Colorado than they have in Quebec, and the cups.

13 hours ago, clockwise said:
  • Muller is a tough one, but he has nearly twice the # of games for NJ than for any other team. I'd go with NJ, even if he did captain the Habs last cup-winning team. I thought the same thing until I saw his numbers with NJ. Honestly didn't even remember him being on NJ.
  • Turgeon is probably the hardest so far. He had his most productive years in NYI, but played the most games in St. Louis. Still, I'd put him on Buffalo. He was the 1st round, 1st overall to them in 87. He only played five fewer games in Buffalo than he did in St. Louis As I dig into STL a little more I'll see if he's needed there or if the roster is decent enough for him to stay in NYI. As for BUF vs. STL he had 32 more pts in STL in 5 more games. Therefore I was going to eliminate him from BUF especially since their roster is looking decent already without him. He also won the Byng and was a candidate for some others including the Hart on STL. It's crazy seeing he was never an all star.
  • Recchi should be on the  Flyers. Best years in Philly, most games played. Done
  • Mark Howe should be on the Flyers. Nearly 700 games played in Philly and 3x finals appearances. Done
  • MacLeish is Philly no doubt, but I think you meant Tocchet? He is most def a Flyer, though. He was a rental for the Pens, and helped them hoist Lord Stanley, but he only played 150 games there. I'm not sure what you mean here. I have MacLeish and Tocchet both on the Flyers. Tocchet is not listed under the Pens. Are you saying Tocchet needs to be removed? Speaking of the Flyers, and you being a big fan, am I missing anyone worthy?
  • Hard to imagine Lemieux not being on Que from their epic series with the Wings in the 2000s. You could go either way with NJ, or Que, but I'd put him on the Dekes. This one was hard because he won a Cup with both teams and had an impact on both. I'm going to put him on QUE/COL due to roster needs.
    • Also, IMO, Quebec should have Avs away jerseys.The franchise has spent 10+ more years in Colorado than they have in Quebec, and the cups. I know you've been mentioning this a few times. I think you finally broke me lol. Nice work. I like your idea of old franchise home and new franchise away jerseys. I will probably do this after the rosters and attributes are set.

Thanks for your input as always @clockwise

11 hours ago, Bob Kudelski said:

I left a bunch of comments in the doc on the Ottawa roster. Overall looks great!

Thanks @Bob Kudelski! I've been seeing your comments a few times and have made the changes based on your input. I've been marking them as complete in the sheet but not sure if it's letting you know that or not. I appreciate your input!

I'm hoping to get the remaining 5 or 6 teams done sometime in the next few days. I was originally thinking the two existing all star teams would be a north american and a world all star team respectively. Last night I was thinking what if I make those teams a combination of the most recent expansion teams? Predators, Wild, Blue Jackets, Thrashers/new Jets(and maybe Golden Knights somehow)? What are your thoughts?

5 hours ago, kidswasted said:

MacLeish is Philly no doubt, but I think you meant Tocchet? He is most def a Flyer, though. He was a rental for the Pens, and helped them hoist Lord Stanley, but he only played 150 games there. I'm not sure what you mean here. I have MacLeish and Tocchet both on the Flyers. Tocchet is not listed under the Pens. Are you saying Tocchet needs to be removed? Speaking of the Flyers, and you being a big fan, am I missing anyone worthy?

Maybe I have to look again, but I thought Tocchet was listed as PIT / PHI. Anyway, he's a Flyer -- and #1 all-time in franchise PIMs -- quite a feat. 

Two, "no-doubt changes," I'd make to the Flyers:

• Gary Dornhoefer won 2 cups with the Flyers. He worked for HNIC after he retired and did a lot of color commentary during the finals in the 80s for the league, and then with the Flyers. Great guy, too. He should replace Sean Couturier; Gary was better.
  • Pelle Lindbergh won the Veznia in 84-85 and was a great goaltender. He also came 3 in voting for the Hart Trophy that year (Lemieux won Calder, Gretz won the Hart with 208 Pts!).
    He did, tragically, the following year when he crashed his Porsche at the age of 26. IMO, he is the best goalie the franchise has ever had. He should replace Doug Favell, and should be rated above Hextall and Parent.

20 hours ago, clockwise said:

Maybe I have to look again, but I thought Tocchet was listed as PIT / PHI. Anyway, he's a Flyer -- and #1 all-time in franchise PIMs -- quite a feat. 

Two, "no-doubt changes," I'd make to the Flyers:

• Gary Dornhoefer won 2 cups with the Flyers. He worked for HNIC after he retired and did a lot of color commentary during the finals in the 80s for the league, and then with the Flyers. Great guy, too. He should replace Sean Couturier; Gary was better.
  • Pelle Lindbergh won the Veznia in 84-85 and was a great goaltender. He also came 3 in voting for the Hart Trophy that year (Lemieux won Calder, Gretz won the Hart with 208 Pts!).
    He did, tragically, the following year when he crashed his Porsche at the age of 26. IMO, he is the best goalie the franchise has ever had. He should replace Doug Favell, and should be rated above Hextall and Parent.

I've replaced Couturier with Dornhoefer and Favell with Lindbergh. That sucks that he died so young, and a season after he won the Vezina. I've never even heard of the guy. Thanks for the tips on both!

21 minutes ago, kidswasted said:

I've replaced Couturier with Dornhoefer and Favell with Lindbergh. That sucks that he died so young, and a season after he won the Vezina. I've never even heard of the guy. Thanks for the tips on both!

Not to go too offtopic, but many considered him to be the goalie that would become the best of his generation. 

• Like 1

Tampa fan here: would love to see Ruslan Fedetenko simply because of his stature in the 2004 Cup Run, and of course, NHL '94 appearing player, and our first star, Brian Bradley!3

• Thanks 1

11 hours ago, seamor said:

Tampa fan here: would love to see Ruslan Fedetenko simply because of his stature in the 2004 Cup Run, and of course, NHL '94 appearing player, and our first star, Brian Bradley!3

Excellent input thank you sir! Bradley was already on my list for that reason. I'm hoping to complete SJ,  STL, TB,  VAN, WSH, WPG today(TOR is already posted). Keep me in check with TB once posted. :)