NHL'94 Forums

All-Time Greatest Team Rosters

kidswasted

• MacInnis is the Flames franchise as much as Iginla. Though, he did have some great years in STL. Big part of their cup-winning team in '89. # is in the rafters there. And on and on.
  • Makarov is a Flame.
  • Boyle could go either way, but he did win a cup in Tampa. I'd put him on the Bolts.
  • Tkachuk should be on WPG / PHX, IMO.
  • Carlyle: Winnipeg / PHX for sure.
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, clockwise said:
  • MacInnis is the Flames franchise as much as Iginla. Though, he did have some great years in STL. Big part of their cup-winning team in '89. # is in the rafters there. And on and on.
  • Makarov is a Flame.
  • Boyle could go either way, but he did win a cup in Tampa. I'd put him on the Bolts.

MacInnis also won the Conn Smythe in '89. And had 103(!!) points in 90-91.

• Like 1

I'm still debating on whether Pierre Turgeon should be on NYI or STL. My BUF roster was already stacked so I just eliminated them from the three teams. He won the Byng on NYI and came in 5th for the Hart that same season. He played one less season on NYI but had a higher PPG and the accolades mentioned above.

Question: is Palat going to be on Tampa but out of the line up? Just curious since he's under extras. Would be fun to roll the Triplets line again!

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, seamor said:

Question: is Palat going to be on Tampa but out of the line up? Just curious since he's under extras. Would be fun to roll the Triplets line again!

Any team that has 'Extra' players means they aren't on the roster but are on the cusp. If I add them who should I replace?

2 minutes ago, kidswasted said:

Any team that has 'Extra' players means they aren't on the roster but are on the cusp. If I add them who should I replace?

That's tough, maybe Palat over Purcell? Similar numbers in their best seasons, but Palat wears the A, was a solid part of every extended run Tampa has had. Still looks awesome man!

• Like 1

11 hours ago, clockwise said:
  • Makarov is a Flame.

I agree with all of this

• Like 1

First off, nice job!  Sounds like a cool rom.  Thanks for doing it!

Some food for thought...

ANA: Rucchin centered Kariya and Selanne.  That was a dominant line in the late 90s.

CHI: Stan Mikita and Bobby Hull didn't play on the same line in their years together in Chicago.  In fact, they both played on two different famous lines (Million Dollar Line and Scooter Line).  The MPH line (which was Pit Martin, Jim Pappin and Dennis Hull) was also a famous line for the team.  In fact, all three were selected as starters in the 1974 all-star game.  Funny enough, coaches wanted Dennis' bro, Bobby, to be on that line but he held out for a new contract and Dennis took the spot.  The rest was history as that line stayed together for many years and Bobby bolted for the WHA.  Also, Glenn Hall should be in over Crawford.  He is much, much, much, much, much better than Crow.  I'd even recommend having him as the starter over Esposito.

TB: Prospal should be with Vinny and Marty.  They were the "MVP Line" and played together quite a lot.  

WSH: Ovie should be paired with Backstrom and Semin.  They were dominant in 2009-10 and played several seasons together.  You could consider adding Rod Langway to the D as he is one of the most famous players in team history.  The team retired his number and he is a 2 time Norris winner for them.

VGK: Marchessault is a winger and doesn't play center for them.  That experiment failed when he was in Florida.

VAN: A little soon to be putting Hughes on the all-time roster seeing as he has only played in one NHL season.  Mattias Ohlund would make more sense given the years he was there.

TOR: You didn't include anyone from the famous "KID Line."  Jackson-Primeau-Conacher.  You're also missing Dave Keon who is considered the greatest Maple Leaf of all time.  Joseph and Anderson are not in the same league as Johnny Bower or Turk Broda.  Or, Terry Sawchuck who helped them win the 1966-67 Cup.

STL:  Oates and Hull should be paired together.  They dominated together.

SJS: Niemi was hated by Sharks fans.  Irbe would be a better choice.

PHI: Barber-Clarke-Leach played on the same line.  The LCB line.  They were the one of the best lines in the 70s and arguably better then the Legion of Doom given their success vs the LoD's success.  One of them actually won a Cup (2).  :)

NYR:  You didn't include Vic Hatfield and he, along with Ratalle and Gilbert made up one of the most famous lines in NHL history... The Goal a Game Line.  All three have their numbers retired by the Rangers.  DeAngelo should not even be in the conversation.  He is not even in the top 20 for Rangers D.  Harry Howell makes more sense.  Hall of Fame and the team retired his number.  Greschner would be better as well.

NSH: Arvidsson has played with Johansen for the last 3 or 4 seasons and often, they are paired with Forsberg.  No Subban?  Was a much better player than Zidlicky.

MTL: Recommend looking up the Punch Line and Dynasty Line.  Those are legendary.  You're missing Laich and Blake which is a big omission.  You're also missing one of the top 5 d-men in the history of not just the team, but the game... Doug Harvey.  Subban should not be there over Harvey.

LAK: Taylor played with Dionne and Simmer... The Triple Crown Line which set NHL scoring records, for a line.

EDM: Mess played with Simpson and Anderson during the team dominant years when Tiks played with Gretzky and Kurri.  One of the best top 6 of all time.

COL/QUE: Forsberg on the 4th line and Stastny on the 2nd?  Forsberg and Sakic are the franchise.  The Stastny Brothers (Peter, Marian and Anton) were a great line (especially in 1983-84).  But, they ain't Sakic or Foppa.  Bourque was there for about five minutes (a gift trade from the Bs).  Johnson, Leschyshyn, Lefebvre or Marois would be more apropos.  Plus, if you're gonna add Quinn Hughes to VAN, you should add Cale Makar (who will be beat him for the Caldar  ).

BUF: Martin played with Perreault and Robert... the famous French Connection.

DET: You're missing two of their most famous players who are HoFers with retired team numbers.  Delvecchio and Abel. Both centered what was one of the greatest lines in NHL history...the Production line.  In each case, Howe and Lindsay were their wingers.  Franzen and Kozlov should not be there instead of those two.  Red Kelly should be on that D over Chelios seeing as the latter had his best years behind him and is more known for his time in MTL and CHI.

BOS: Espo played with Cashman and Hodge... the famous Nitro Line of the 70s.  Bergeron plays with Pasta and Rat Face (Marchand)...the Perfection Line. You didn't include anyone from the team's best line in history...the Kraut Line.  It was the first line in hockey history to have three forward finish 1,2,3 in league scoring.  Dumant-Schmitt-Bauer.  They won two Cups.  Samsonov, Thornton and Oates should not be in there over them... just saying.

NJD: Parise played with Zajac and Langenbrunner.  The ZZ-Pops line.  Also, consider the A-Line which helped them appear in two cup finals... Elias-Arnott-Sykora.  They were an underated line.  No Guerin or MacLean?

CBJ: Korpo shouldn't be there.  Mason deserves it more as he is the only rookie of the year in the team's history.

OTT: No Volchenkov?  He and Phillips made up one of the best shutdown D pairings in NHL history.  Food for thought...also, Emery helped them get the 2006-07 Cup.  Also, swap Heatley and Alfredsson.  Heater played the right and Alfie, the left.

Again, great job putting this together!  It's an awesome idea.  None of the above is criticism.  Just food for thought from an NHL history nerd.  I know just how tough it is to do historic roms so hats off for doing it!

Cheers!

Edited by Sauce
  • Thanks 1

Hi @Sauce

Thank you for this information. This will actually be pretty helpful with the rosters I’ve been assembling. I agree with a lot of what you said above. It looks like your notes are based on what Halifax posted, which is something completely random but also somewhat helpful. Samsonov on the Bruins almost made me barf. My rosters are here:

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/16BEEwdQupRDICQZ5zShdYsrbo6_wKiW-twWKhDBQ_tc/edit?usp=sharing

I’m curious to hear your thoughts on what I do have so far. Also as a side note I’ve been using your ROMs for years and I think you do a great job!

Edited by kidswasted

5 hours ago, kidswasted said:

Hi @Sauce

Thank you for this information. This will actually be pretty helpful with the rosters I’ve been assembling. I agree with a lot of what you said above. It looks like your notes are based on what Halifax posted, which is something completely random but also somewhat helpful. Samsonov on the Bruins almost made me barf. My rosters are here:

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/16BEEwdQupRDICQZ5zShdYsrbo6_wKiW-twWKhDBQ_tc/edit?usp=sharing

I’m curious to hear your thoughts on what I do have so far. Also as a side note I’ve been using your ROMs for years and I think you do a great job!

Oh shoot... my bad...

I thought those embedded images were from your rom.  Lol.  Sorry for the confusion.  I should have read more carefully.

Your spreadsheet does have several of the “missing” players that I mentioned but is also missing several as well.  But, in the end, it’s your rom so definitely “do you” in terms of what you’d like to have in or out of the rom. 

Thank you for the kind shout out!  I look forward to your finished product!  Keep up the good work!

Edited by Sauce
  • Thanks 1

This is already Shaping up to be the best super Ness rum and ever.

Not to take anything away from that other guy who used to do the Rams for super. Blue dad fan or something like that.

edit : Voice to text I’m on my phone

• Haha 1

12 hours ago, kidswasted said:

Hi @Sauce

Based on your spreadsheet (and you already have my notes on line combos and whatnot), here are some key players that I see as "missing."  Again, all food for thought...

ANA - Chris Pronger and Scott Neidermayer are the two best Dmen in the franchise's history.  The latter has his number retired by the team.  Francois Beauchemin would be another good add.  I'd add all three over Manson, Tverdovsky and Havelid.

BOS - Add Dumant and Bauer so you have the Kraut Line of the late 30s/early 40s.  Much better players and more important to the organization then Krecji and O'Reilly.

BUF - I'd go with Lindy Ruff over Tyler Myers.

CGY - I'd go with Bouwmeester over Brodie.

CHI - Dennis Hull over Patrick Sharp.  Pierre Pilote was way better, and more important to the organization than Hjalmarsson, Brown and Murray combined.  LOL.  But seriously, look him up.
Zhamnov is more of a Jet in terms of star years (even though he was with the Hawks longer).  His best years were in WPG.  Recommend Jim Pappin who was more important to the organization.

DAL/MIN - Brett Hull over Benn or Seguin... in a heart beat!  Hull-Modano-Lehtinen is one of the most underrated lines in all of hockey history.  They were fantastic and a HUGE reason why the Stars won the Cup in 1999.  Does anyone remember who scored the Cup clinching goal?  :)
Also, Jon Casey over Lehtonen.  Klingberg shouldn't be there over Craig Ludwig. His mullet alone should get him in.  LOL

DET - Slava Fetisov over Bergman or Goodfellow.  
Jimmy Howard - no, just no.  Hasek over him any day of the week.  Or, Mike Vernon.  Both won a Cup in DET and the latter was the Conn Smyth winner in 97.

EDM - MacTavish over Nugent-Hopkins

FLA - Pavel Bure over Horton.

MTL - Toe Blake over Lalonde.  Adding him gives you the famous "Punch Line."  Chris Chelios over Brisebois or Talbot ANIEC.  I realize that you have him on the Hawks, too, but he was equally great on both teams.  But, if you're going with one appearance per rom, then go with the Hawks.  

NYI - Turgeon should be on the Isles.  

NYR - Phil Esposito over Laprade unless you are doing the once per team thing in which case, leave him on the Bs.  Harry Howell and Brad Park over Staal or Giradi.  Howell's in the Hall of Fame and his #3 is retired by the team.  Park is also in the HoF and had his best years in NY.  He cried (rumored) when the team traded him to the Bs and he loved being a Ranger and the fans loved him.  He is a NYR legend and it is a crime that he didn't have #2 retired like Leetch (especially, as the team has two #9s and 11s retired).  Staal and Girardi will not make the HoF or have their numbers retired.  Seriously, HOWELL AND PARK.  Sincerely, ALL (or most) NYR FANS!  LOL
I'd also go with Dave Maloney (giving you both bros) and Jeff Beukeboom over Seiling and Johnson.

OTT - Emery over Tuggnutt

PHI - I'll leave that to @clockwise as that's his boys!  :)

QUE/COL  - Dan Bouchard over Varlamov AINEC. Marian and Anton Stastny over Duchene and O'Reilly.  O'Reilly is more known for his years as a Sabre or more importantly, a Blue.   All three Stastny Brother formed one of the best lines in hockey during the 80s.  They "killed it" in 1983-84.

SJS - Irbe over Niemi.  Sharks fans hated Niemi.  I realize you have Larionov on DET and Marakov on the Flames but, without those two, along with Irbe, the Sharks don't have the season they had in 1993-94.

STL - O'Reilly over Turgeon.  Also, this is where Adam Oates belongs.  Look up what Hull and Oates did together.  No brainer on this one.  I'd recommend him over Berglund any day of the week.  Also, Jordan Binnington over Allen.  The latter stinks (compared to) and the former just won them a Cup.

TOR - Joe Primeau over Ullman.  Adding him gives you the famed "Kid Line" of the 30s.  

VAN - Luongo over Markstrom but if you're doing the once per rom, leave him in FLA.  If not Lou, then Richard Brodeur.  He was their starting goaltender during the Cup appearance in 1982.

WPG/ARZ - Bobby Hull but if you're doing the once per rom, leave him in CHI.

Anywho... nice job on the spreadsheet and concept.  I think this will be a very fun rom once you go live with it! 

When you post it, please make sure to credit the folks whose rom that you "borrow."  Especially, if you're borrowing any of their existing art or work.  So, wboy, CoachMac, Clockwise, mine, Naples, Skip/Slapshot, JKline or whoever for example. 

Good luck with this project...excited to see the end result!  Cheers!

Edited by Sauce
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Sauce said:

Oh shoot... my bad...

I thought those embedded images were from your rom.  Lol.  Sorry for the confusion.  I should have read more carefully.

Your spreadsheet does have several of the “missing” players that I mentioned but is also missing several as well.  But, in the end, it’s your rom so definitely “do you” in terms of what you’d like to have in or out of the rom. 

Thank you for the kind shout out!  I look forward to your finished product!  Keep up the good work!

Absolutely! I can definitely use some of these notes on missing players from list as well as the individual lines. I was reading through it last night and was like, 'Hey I didn't include Vegas...'. I thought I was going crazy and then realized it was from the list from Halifax that you were basing it off of. To piggyback that, there is still some helpful stuff in what @halifax posted so thank you! It's just so tough trying to include guys from different eras especially not knowing about old NHL(1910s-40s). I will read through versions 1 and 2 of your notes but after a quick skim through it looks like you mentioned some missing guys such as Brett Hull on DAL/MIN. My main thing here is trying to have a guy on a single team. So Hull would be on STL instead. of DAL. Yes he won with DAL but he was also only there for 3 years. This has been BY FAR the trickiest part so far. However I will seriously consider what you've posted.

I will certainly credit anyone that has had any input in this thread but thank you for the reminder. I definitely can't do this by myself lol.

Stay tuned for more updates and my feedback to your roster suggestions. Thanks again!

1 hour ago, clockwise said:

This is already Shaping up to be the best super Ness rum and ever.

Not to take anything away from that other guy who used to do the Rams for super. Blue dad fan or something like that.

edit : Voice to text I’m on my phone

This is hilarious. I have an iPhone and when Siri messes up my voice to text I always call her a stupid b***h lol. Also doesn't help that I have a Boston accent. So who's really the stupid b***h here? LOL

Something to keep in mind, if you're doing a true "best of" rom, you should consider having certain players on multiple teams or, you are short-changing those teams.  For example...

Gretzky - Equally important on EDM and LA (even though his legacy years are in EDM).

Chelios - was awesome in MTL and CHI

Bobby Hull - HoF for CHI but he put WPG on the map.

Hasek - Known for his years in BUF but won a Cup in DET and gave OTT it's best year ever.

Belfour - Known for his lights out years in CHI but won a Cup in DAL

Sawchuk - Won Cups in DET and TOR (won the last ever Cup in TOR).

Messier - Equally important on Oiler and NY.  Winning a Cup, in EDM, without Gretzky, solidified him as a HoFer.  Winning a Cup in NY made him a house-hold name and a NY sports legend.

Brett Hull - his best years were in STL but he won a Cup in DAL (on a famed line) and in DET (albiet, a loaded team).

Roy - Equally important on MTL and COL.  Won 2 Cups with each.  Dominant for each.

Scott Neidermayer - won Cups with NJ and ANA and has his number retired for both.  

Pronger - had his best years in STL but was a Cup champion (and still an A/S) in ANA.

And that's just a few off the top of my head.  Food for thought...

The game isn't real so having a player on multiple teams won't defy human existence.  LOL

Anywho... it's your show so take the feedback in stride.  Keep up the good work!

• Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, kidswasted said:

Absolutely! I can definitely use some of these notes on missing players from list as well as the individual lines. I was reading through it last night and was like, 'Hey I didn't include Vegas...'. I thought I was going crazy and then realized it was from the list from Halifax that you were basing it off of. To piggyback that, there is still some helpful stuff in what @halifax posted so thank you! It's just so tough trying to include guys from different eras especially not knowing about old NHL(1910s-40s). I will read through versions 1 and 2 of your notes but after a quick skim through it looks like you mentioned some missing guys such as Brett Hull on DAL/MIN. My main thing here is trying to have a guy on a single team. So Hull would be on STL instead. of DAL. Yes he won with DAL but he was also only there for 3 years. This has been BY FAR the trickiest part so far. However I will seriously consider what you've posted.

I will certainly credit anyone that has had any input in this thread but thank you for the reminder. I definitely can't do this by myself lol.

Stay tuned for more updates and my feedback to your roster suggestions. Thanks again!

I would also credit anyone whose rom you work off of unless you plan to do all of the ratings, hex edits, patches, artwork, etc. yourself.  Remember, those people gave you a basis to work off of for your rom.  As much as I have re-done art and ratings, and tweaked hex codes, I still give credit to Slapshot and wboy, for their 30 and 32 team roms, as I used much of what they created.  We all borrow from someone else.

But yes, credit those who helped you in other ways too as it is the respectful thing to do.  Good call!

Edited by Sauce
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Sauce said:

I would also credit anyone whose rom you work off of unless you plan to do all of the ratings, hex edits, patches, artwork, etc. yourself.  Remember, those people gave you a basis to work off of for your rom.  As much as I have re-done art and ratings, and tweaked hex codes, I still give credit to Slapshot and wboy, for their 30 and 32 team roms, as I used much of what they created.  We all borrow from someone else.

But yes, credit those who helped you in other ways too as it is the respectful thing to do.  Good call!

Will do my friend. I know @clockwise has been nudging me to do original franchise jerseys for home and newer for away(i.e. Nordiques for home and Aves for away) so I'm sure I'll be looking for feedback on jersey color choices and stuff. I'm not exactly looking forward to the amount of work needed on the player attributes part lol. In all seriousness it will be fun though. Once this is all finalized someone can just grab what I have, make a few tweaks if they want, and produce it for Gens. I'm just trying to give some love to my SNES fam. No hate on Gens, just some love over here.

5 minutes ago, kidswasted said:

I know @clockwise has been nudging me to do original franchise jerseys for home and newer for away(i.e. Nordiques for home and Aves for away) so I'm sure I'll be looking for feedback on jersey color choices and stuff. 

http://www.trucolor.net/portfolio/national-hockey-league-franchise-colors-1917-1918-through-present/

You wont be able to match all of the RGB colors to be exact but you can get very close using this site.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, kidswasted said:

This is hilarious. I have an iPhone and when Siri messes up my voice to text I always call her a stupid b***h lol. Also doesn't help that I have a Boston accent. So who's really the stupid b***h here? LOL

6B9A71B1-D0AC-4E89-A571-B1A697E4BF68.jpeg

• Haha 1

Okay gentlemen I'm at a fork in the road. I've been debating for a while now on whether players should appear on multiple teams for this All-Time Greatest Team Rosters ROM. What are your thoughts? I'm going to tag you all as you all have been very generous with your suggestions thus far and I'd like for it to be decided on almost like a board of directors lol. I know it's 'my' ROM but I'd like to have your say in it since I'm hoping many people will play around with this ROM and it may be better than having one person's opinion and then collecting dust due to difference of opinion. Having players on multiple teams will definitely strengthen the teams but will obviously eliminate other players. Once this has been determined I will proceed down the road we select and make roster adjustments as needed. The longer I've stood my ground on one player, one team the more difficult it's been.

@clockwise @Bob Kudelski @chaos @Nhl94slapshot @smozoma @Sauce @halifax @seamor @kingraph

6 hours ago, Sauce said:

http://www.trucolor.net/portfolio/national-hockey-league-franchise-colors-1917-1918-through-present/

You wont be able to match all of the RGB colors to be exact but you can get very close using this site.

Gold mine. Wow! Thanks for sharing this!

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, kidswasted said:

Okay gentlemen I'm at a fork in the road. I've been debating for a while now on whether players should appear on multiple teams for this All-Time Greatest Team Rosters ROM. What are your thoughts? I'm going to tag you all as you all have been very generous with your suggestions thus far and I'd like for it to be decided on almost like a board of directors lol. I know it's 'my' ROM but I'd like to have your say in it since I'm hoping many people will play around with this ROM and it may be better than having one person's opinion and then collecting dust due to difference of opinion. Having players on multiple teams will definitely strengthen the teams but will obviously eliminate other players. Once this has been determined I will proceed down the road we select and make roster adjustments as needed. The longer I've stood my ground on one player, one team the more difficult it's been.

@clockwise @Bob Kudelski @chaos @Nhl94slapshot @smozoma @Sauce @halifax @seamor @kingraph

You already have my thoughts...

But seeing as I’m not the one doing the work, who gives a sh*t what I think.  Lol

My food for thought was/is that If I’m a Oilers fan, for example, I’d be annoyed if I can’t play as Messier as he helped them win five Cups.  As a Rangers fan, I wouldn’t play this without Mess as he is a legend for the franchise.  Same mindset applies to several players.  You’re doing the “best of” for each team so how do you omit some of the best players that define those franchise’s histories?  Just saying...

Doesn’t mean I’m right.  Go with your instincts.  

• Thanks 1

I might be biased but when I made the SNES WHA Rom I out guys in multiple teams. It’s a much smaller sample size but I gave those guys different rating depending on how they performed on that team. 

much like you’d give gretzky a higher rating in Edmonton vs Los Angeles. 

• Thanks 1
  • Like 1

Maybe I’m misunderstanding the concern here...

It appears to me that the hold up is due to being uncomfortable with the idea that a player such as Wayne Gretzky, for example, could go against a player such as Wayne Gretzky on another team/era.  If so, shouldn’t you also be concerned that potentially some of your players are alive and will be facing off against some players who are dead?  Or, is that more plausible?  :lol:

Sorry, couldn’t resist...  :D

• Haha 1