NHL'94 Forums

All-Time Greatest Team Rosters

kidswasted

31 minutes ago, clockwise said:

What if kidswasteds is able to grant life and those players will be trapped in the ROM? Trapped in the ROM to play forever.

Rink of Dreams?

• Haha 1

16 hours ago, clockwise said:

I vote no.

There are good arguments for either side. Gretz and Mess are obvious. But there are a lot of other players that could easily show up on multiple teams. 

I think I'm going to keep this within reason. I'm not going to have guys appear on every single team they played for. They would need to have played a significant amount of team and had a decent impact in their years there. For example Coffey would appear on EDM and PIT. Probably not on DET as they have other deserving D-men from over there years.

2 hours ago, halifax said:

I might be biased but when I made the SNES WHA Rom I out guys in multiple teams. It’s a much smaller sample size but I gave those guys different rating depending on how they performed on that team. 

much like you’d give gretzky a higher rating in Edmonton vs Los Angeles. 

I didn't even think of this. What a great idea having slightly different attributes  depending on that team. Now I can have Turgeon tentatively on BUF, NYI, and STL! LOL Thanks @halifax!

17 hours ago, Sauce said:

My food for thought was/is that If I’m a Oilers fan, for example, I’d be annoyed if I can’t play as Messier as he helped them win five Cups.  As a Rangers fan, I wouldn’t play this without Mess as he is a legend for the franchise.  Same mindset applies to several players.  You’re doing the “best of” for each team so how do you omit some of the best players that define those franchise’s histories?  Just saying...

Doesn’t mean I’m right.  Go with your instincts.  

Exactly! These two guys are the main reason this has been bugging me. I think I'm just going to have great players on multiple teams within reason. Thanks for your input everyone. Back to the drawing board!

16 hours ago, clockwise said:

I vote no.

There are good arguments for either side. Gretz and Mess are obvious. But there are a lot of other players that could easily show up on multiple teams. 

I think I'm going to keep this within reason. I'm not going to have guys appear on every single team they played for. They would need to have played a significant amount of team and had a decent impact in their years there. For example Coffey would appear on EDM and PIT. Probably not on DET as they have other deserving D-men from over there years.

2 hours ago, halifax said:

I might be biased but when I made the SNES WHA Rom I out guys in multiple teams. It’s a much smaller sample size but I gave those guys different rating depending on how they performed on that team. 

much like you’d give gretzky a higher rating in Edmonton vs Los Angeles. 

I didn't even think of this. What a great idea having slightly different attributes  depending on that team. Now I can have Turgeon tentatively on BUF, NYI, and STL! LOL Thanks @halifax!

17 hours ago, Sauce said:

My food for thought was/is that If I’m a Oilers fan, for example, I’d be annoyed if I can’t play as Messier as he helped them win five Cups.  As a Rangers fan, I wouldn’t play this without Mess as he is a legend for the franchise.  Same mindset applies to several players.  You’re doing the “best of” for each team so how do you omit some of the best players that define those franchise’s histories?  Just saying...

Doesn’t mean I’m right.  Go with your instincts.  

Exactly! These two guys are the main reason this has been bugging me. I think I'm just going to have great players on multiple teams within reason. Thanks for your input everyone. Back to the drawing board!

Now, you are free from the shackles of your creativity.  Go in peace and return a new man... and, return with this finished rom for Christ’s Sake!  Lol

• Haha 1

As I've been working on the rosters and lines something I was thinking about was that I was originally planning on using the regular 28-team ROM and having teams 27 and 28 be some sort of All-Star team combination.

For 28-team ROM:

• North American Vs. World All-Stars
  • Original 6 All Stars Vs. Expansion All-Stars
  • Pre-1980's Vs. Post-1980's All-Stars

If I were to use the 32-team ROM I could include the two all-star teams I was planning for the 28-team ROM as well as some combination of the newer expansion teams such as the Wild, Blue Jackets, Thrashers/new Jets, Predators, Golden Knights . I would probably just use the first four since the Golden Knights are practically brand new.  Another idea while typing this would be to use the 32-team ROM and create an A and B combination team of say, Wild/Blue Jackets, Thrashers/Predators, and still have whatever 2 all-star teams I wanted to use in the 28-team ROM. 

Otherwise I could use the 30/32-team ROM to create 4/6 all-star teams, maybe split the era's up a bit more? I don't know. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

5 hours ago, Bob Kudelski said:

Dumb questions here: is this for SNES? Are you even able to put 32 teams in the game if you wanted to? For some reason I thought the max number of teams was 28 based on the original team ROM.

Not a dumb question at all. It’s for SNES but I got lost in Gens talk whoops. 

• 2 weeks later...

It’s the busiest time of the year at work from the past few weeks through September. My updates may be a little delayed but I am still working on finalizing the roster and lines where I have some free time during the day. ANH through FLA are done but I’m not posting anything quite yet. Stay tuned buds. 

• 2 weeks later...

ANH through NJD(except MTL) are done with their rosters and lines. I'm going at a much slower pace due to busy season at work. Hoping for things to slow down in the next few weeks so I can tackle this thing.

• 1 month later...

I'm slowly getting there. Busy season is starting to slow down now that school is back in session. Rosters are finalized from ANH through QUE. Hoping to get the rest completed by the end of this week. Then I can begin working on the attributes based on CoachMac's post here:

https://forum.nhl94.com/index.php?/topic/18123-ratings-template/

The final part would be to put all of this into the ROM. I may work on jerseys and stuff like that after the initial release. I'm hoping to have this done, realistically, by end of the calendar year as this is my first ROM. I may be reaching out to some of the vets here when(not if) I run into some hurdles. :D

• 2 weeks later...

Another rough week in work. However I have completed ANH through TOR regarding the rosters and lines. I just have VAN, WSH, and WPG left to do and then I'll be able to start working on the attributes. I think this will take the longest as I have to research each player's stats during the years they were with the team they appear on, consider any accolades during these years, and compare with other players in the league during the same time period.

I'm getting there guys...I'm getting there. Stay tuned.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I was hoping to have this finished by end of year, and that might still happen, but the attributes are taking longer than expected. I was able to play a demo game between ANH and BOS which was fun. After the attributes are set up I will then need to edit lines so the game loads properly. After that I'm going to 'QA' and see how skaters and goalies play. After that I might have to tweak/nerf some attributes accordingly. 

tl;dr- It's almost done!

12 minutes ago, 77 said:

i dont know about you...

but i consider a player belonging to whatever team they played the most games for...

by those standards, i see some players on the wrong team

I decided to include players on multiple teams if necessary. Guys like Gretzky, Messier, Bure, Hawerchuk, Bobby and Brett Hull,  just to name a few. They would have slightly different stats between the two teams.

3 hours ago, kidswasted said:

I decided to include players on multiple teams if necessary. Guys like Gretzky, Messier, Bure, Hawerchuk, Bobby and Brett Hull,  just to name a few. They would have slightly different stats between the two teams.

This looks awesome, and I hope you are still taking input.

Ottawa really needs Chara to be there. He was their best Dman for years, and made a name for himself with Ottawa.

I suggest the pairings go:

Chara - Karlsson

Redden - Duchesne

Phillips - Chabot

extra: Volchenkov, York

delete: Borowiecki and Kuba

At forward, Bobby Ryan can go. He was terrible in Ottawa other than one playoff run. Replace him with Shawn MacEachern on Yashin's wing. He averaged 25-30 goals and 50 points over about 5 seasons playing with yashin. Speedy, good shot.

Also, would put Pageau in. He's local and was beloved. Had a couple playoff hat tricks. 

For lines, I'd go:

Heatley - Spezza - Alfredsson

Hossa - Yashin - Stone

McEachern - Fisher - Havlat

extras: Bonk, Arvedson, Neil, Tkachuk, Pageau.

The hard part will be the ratings.

Edited by Bob Kudelski
more info
  • Thanks 1

18 minutes ago, Bob Kudelski said:

This looks awesome, and I hope you are still taking input.

Ottawa really needs Chara to be there. He was their best Dman for years, and made a name for himself with Ottawa.

I suggest the pairings go:

Chara - Karlsson

Redden - Duchesne

Phillips - Chabot

extra: Volchenkov, York

delete: Borowiecki and Kuba

At forward, Bobby Ryan can go. He was terrible in Ottawa other than one playoff run. Replace him with Shawn MacEachern on Yashin's wing. He averaged 25-30 goals and 50 points over about 5 seasons playing with yashin. Speedy, good shot.

The hard part will be the ratings.

Thanks for your input. I'll see what I can do. You make some very valid points here. Stay tuned. I'm almost there.

2 minutes ago, kidswasted said:

Thanks for your input. I'll see what I can do. You make some very valid points here. Stay tuned. I'm almost there.

Thanks, I actually just updated my post above. I have lines suggestions. Also think Pageau should be there. Maybe not Turris.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 12/22/2020 at 1:40 PM, Bob Kudelski said:

Thanks, I actually just updated my post above. I have lines suggestions. Also think Pageau should be there. Maybe not Turris.

All set! I've updated the OTT rosters. I'm onto NYR alphabetically for setting the attributes for forwards. Goalies are already done. Once F's are done it's time for D-men! With my kid finally back at daycare I finally have the time, for the first time since Xmas eve, to get this ROM done. Once attributes are completed I just need to set the lines up manually and then get the ROM ready for testing. I'm not including any custom menus or anything like that as of right now. My goal is to get the players in there for a fun ROM. Maybe I'll revisit after but will most likely need someone's help.

FINALLY got the attributes done. Holy crap that was a painstaking process. Now I need to spend this week and next week on setting the lines. Then the ROM should be ready for testing. I'm hoping to have the ROM completely finished by the end of January.

Edited by kidswasted
Typo
  • Like 2

Everything is done! I just need to play around see if I need to adjust any attributes or find any bugs. I may or may not spend some time next week on jersey colors. I'm not sure how to change any menus or player pictures so I will probably skip both of those. I will be testing all of next week with a release of hopefully Friday 1/29. If any admins wish to help me test out the ROM please message me on discord. Otherwise stay tuned until the end of next week!

PS-The Panthers and Ducks have extremely abbreviated names i.e. T Slne(Teemu Selanne), S Rcn(Steve Rucchin) etc. Not sure if I'm able to fix that without some help. All other players on other teams have a first initial and full last name.

Edited by kidswasted
Typos

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

So, it's legitimately damn near a masterpiece. But,,, Brett Hull being left off the EXPANSION TEAM, left me bereft. And, Anaheim player names need some work. Anyway, just a couple tiny dents on a very sexy car. Grade-A work. Thank you.

Edited by shalledwards
  • Thanks 1