NHL'94 Forums

NHL94 Trade Deadline/Playoffs Edition

Sauce

Hi All,

A rom that I wanted to work on, for a while, is an update to the original/classic.  A 1994 post trade deadline roster/playoffs edition, if you will.  But, I also wanted it to have some of the look and feel of the original.  It's important to note that some other folks have had a run at this concept rom, so I am not a pioneer.  However, there are things that I wanted to do differently or, perhaps, be the first to do to the classic version.  So, below is what you need to know about this rom.

THE ROM

* This is was created using WBOY’s 30 team rom.

* It has the weight bug fix  applied to it.  I can also provide a version without it if requested (PM me).

* The rom contains the 26 teams from the 1993-94 season plus the 1993 (Campbell & Wales) and 1994 (Eastern and Western) all-star teams.

*  It has the Clockwise helmet/sprite patch AND the original goalie crease, faceoff circles and no trapezoid.  It does have coaches on the bench, officials in the penalty box area and the new red goal light graphics.  A little of the old and a little of the new.
NOTE:  If you apply the helmet/sprite patch to any rom, it automatically assigns that rom the new/modern goalie crease and trapezoid.  So, it had to be undone in this case.

SPECIAL THANKS GOES TO JKline3 WHO HELPED "RESET" THE ROM TO HAVE THE ORIGINAL RINK LAYOUT USING HIS JEDI POWERS!  He is a good soul who said he didn't want/need any credit.  Well, too bad, you're getting it.  You helped me with that particular request so that I could focus on everything else and make this happen.  Thanks homie! 

* Unlike my recent/current season roms, I didn’t use the Smozoma patch for the edit lines rating bug/3 stars fix for this rom.  I want to leave that up to folks to do themselves if they want it added in vs leave it like the original.  

* Unlike the original version, each team now has a structure of 14 forwards, 8 dmen and 2 goalies (with the exception of the all-star teams).

THE PLAYERS

* Much like my recent/current season roms, I added actual headshots of each NLC player.  None have helmets or masks on, in their portraits.  You get to see just how ugly these guys are and how bad the hair styles were back then (see Jagr, for example).  I went with images circa 1992-1995.  This was quite a chore to find these as the online images are mostly low rez scans.  I did my best to clean them up.

* Player Attributes are based off of end-of-season stats for the 1993-94 season.   I edited all 624 players in one way or another.  My 0-6 tier structure for attributes is very close to the original rom as far as distribution.  I kept a side by side comparison spreadsheet when doing edits.

* Like my modern era/current season roms, shot accuracy and pass accuracy are based on “per game” stats, not season % (as there is no season mode).  Offensive awareness is based on points per game.  Unlike my recent/current season roms, this version is strictly based on 1993-94 stats.  I didn’t do a 3 year average as I do with my modern era ROMs.

* Rosters are post-trade deadline.

* As Cam Neely and Pat Lafontaine, to name a few, didn’t play in the 1994 playoffs, due to injuries, they are not in the active line-ups if you use line changes.  They are, however, in the 5v5 NLC mode. 

* Several missing players and some rookies have been added.  A name like Nathan Lafayette may not mean much to you but to many Ranger fans he made many of our hearts stop, in the third period of game 7 of the Finals, when he “hit the post!”  He was not in the original version.

THE TEAMS

*  Teams are ranked by the order of how they finished for 1993-94.  Same goes for OFF and DEF team ratings as well as PP, PK, Home and Away.  You can review these by using EARE.

*  Lines and d-pairings are confirmed as having been used, at some point, during the final months of the 1993-94 season and/or playoffs.  A lot of research went into this detail which included watching a ton of old game footage.  Feel free to change them as you see fit.

*  While jersey layouts don't mirror the actual versions, in several cases, the colors that I used are pretty close to the official team colors.  I used two websites that provide official team RGB colors, per season, so that I could match them up (as much as possible) in NOSE.  Helmets, as mentioned earlier, are corrected due to the patch.

THE PLAYOFF BRACKETS

*  I included the playoff brackets for 1993-94.  I also created a second set of brackets that include the ten teams that didn’t make it into the playoffs.

THE ART

*  Center ice and team selection logos are the official team logos for the 1993-94 season.  Unlike the original, the center ice logos are NOT stretched to add more detail.  They are they official sized logos.

*  New title screen art.  Hmmmm... I wonder why I chose this particular image?  :)

I hope that you enjoy playing it as much as I enjoyed working on it.  It was fun to relive this special season.  If you see any mistakes, please let me know.

Cheers!

Version with 99 Minute OT (except for Playoff Mode)

NHL94 Playoff Edition.bin

Version with 10 Minute OT 

NHL94 Playoff Edition - 10 Min OT.bin

Player Ratings

NHL94 Team and Player Ratings.zip

NHL94.png

Team Matchup.png

Super Mario vs The Great One.png

BOS vs HFD.png

GOAL!.png

Edited by Sauce
Updated Screenshots
  • Thanks 10
  • Like 2

This rom was long over due, thanks for all the hard work! Nice to see my sprite patch put to use, too.

Should be a lot of fun playing with San Jose. The Leafs should be pretty beast with Killer and Gartner, too.

Any way you can upload the ratings to Google docs? Very interested to see what player rating changes were made.

Looking forward to playing some exis with this.

1 hour ago, clockwise said:

This rom was long over due, thanks for all the hard work! Nice to see my sprite patch put to use, too.

Should be a lot of fun playing with San Jose. The Leafs should be pretty beast with Killer and Gartner, too.

Any way you can upload the ratings to Google docs? Very interested to see what player rating changes were made.

Looking forward to playing some exis with this.

Thanks @clockwise!  What I can do is post the ratings spreadsheet here and if someone can put it on Google Drive, that would be cool!

Cheers!

Edited by Sauce

First impressions:

• Tampa is still more, "Electric slide," than, "Ride The Lightning," but they, lookie-here: Their top 3 now has Klima, Bradley and Savard. Fun team to skate with.
  • Anaheim is more, "Upset," than, "Mighty," deservedly so. Wanted to see if Lebeau would be their lone-gun, but his skating and shot have been reduced.
  • The fierce fish actually have teeth with the additions of Larionov and Makarov. Nice team to ice with a, pass-first play-style.
  • Boston drops off with losing Juneau and Oates' skating taking a hit. Ray-Ray also lost some juice. Neely gets a big, big boost with the weight bug fix.
  • Ottawa has life, and wheels, too. The additions of Davydov and Yashin make them a half-decent team to play with. 
  • Washington is vaulted to top-tier with the addition of Juneau. Their d-corps are bolstered heavily by being pleasantly plump, thanks to the weight-bug fix.
  • The rich get richer with Feds being the top rated forward, and I can't argue with it. My opinion is he's the best two-way forward of all time. And you did give him the skating skills he deserves, too.
  • Flames get Zalapski, which is nice, but the weight bug fix is cruel to Fleury.
  • The Pens biggest weakness becomes their biggest strength with the weight-bug fix.
  • Hull is a crackshot. Then add in Housley, along with other ratings changes, and  St. Louis is beastly.
  • The whale tail adds Pronger making them more fun to ice.
  • Main splash-screen logo got distorted when imported. This is an easy fix I can help with if you want to update the game some time down the road.

Just some impressions, not criticisms. Maybe I'll post some more stuff later, but I'm having a blast playing it!

• Thanks 2

1 hour ago, clockwise said:

First impressions:

• Tampa is still more, "Electric slide," than, "Ride The Lightning," but they, lookie-here: Their top 3 now has Klima, Bradley and Savard. Fun team to skate with.
  • Anaheim is more, "Upset," than, "Mighty," deservedly so. Wanted to see if Lebeau would be their lone-gun, but his skating and shot have been reduced.
  • The fierce fish actually have teeth with the additions of Larionov and Makarov. Nice team to ice with a, pass-first play-style.
  • Boston drops off with losing Juneau and Oates' skating taking a hit. Ray-Ray also lost some juice. Neely gets a big, big boost with the weight bug fix.
  • Ottawa has life, and wheels, too. The additions of Davydov and Yashin make them a half-decent team to play with. 
  • Washington is vaulted to top-tier with the addition of Juneau. Their d-corps are bolstered heavily by being pleasantly plump, thanks to the weight-bug fix.
  • The rich get richer with Feds being the top rated forward, and I can't argue with it. My opinion is he's the best two-way forward of all time. And you did give him the skating skills he deserves, too.
  • Flames get Zalapski, which is nice, but the weight bug fix is cruel to Fleury.
  • The Pens biggest weakness becomes their biggest strength with the weight-bug fix.
  • Hull is a crackshot. Then add in Housley, along with other ratings changes, and  St. Louis is beastly.
  • The whale tail adds Pronger making them more fun to ice.
  • Main splash-screen logo got distorted when imported. This is an easy fix I can help with if you want to update the game some time down the road.

Just some impressions, not criticisms. Maybe I'll post some more stuff later, but I'm having a blast playing it!

Nice feedback!  I appreciate it.  Believe it or not, Oates lone weakness is his skating (well, and he was soft like melted butter).  It hurt him when he was drafted.  Lebeau also wasn’t a great speedster and was a bit overrated (stats don’t lie).  Hence, why he couldn’t stick in MTL or ANA.  Ended up in the Swiss League.  He’s really known for one big year and some so-so years.  For the Ducks, in 93-94, Bob Corkum is their “gun” (if you will) as he had a good year.  Yates and Valk weren’t bad that year, either.  I’m surprised that you didn’t catch what I did to Felix Potvin.  I lowered his agility a bit as he had terrible lateral movement but great reflexes.  That’s why he stayed so far back in the net.  His glove hand (high) also became a liability In the 1994 playoffs.  Vancouver very much exposed it and then the word was out.  However, I left his glove and stick hands as 4s given his cat-like (see what I did there) reflexes.  :)

Not everyone will agree with how I rated stuff and that’s ok.  Just know, a TON of research (way too many articles and scouting reports and sources to count) went into it.  I’m open to suggestions though if enough folks agree.

If you could, please hit me up about the splash screen distortion thing.  I need a better understanding of what you mean and I’d rather do so offline.

Thanks for the positive feedback!  Hopefully, you enjoy the Flyers and that “Crazy 8s” line.  They weren’t half bad pre-Legion of Doom.  The injury to Lindros is what was the final coffin nail on their 94 playoff hopes.

Edited by Sauce
  • Like 2

Fun 1993-94 season factoid... Cam Neely only played in 49 games before suffering a season-ending injury.  At the time of injury, he had 50 goals!!!  He actually scored #50 in game #44.  Oh, what could have been!

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

9 hours ago, Sauce said:

Believe it or not, Oates lone weakness is his skating (well, and he was soft like melted butter).  It hurt him when he was drafted.  Lebeau also wasn’t a great speedster and was a bit overrated (stats don’t lie).  Hence, why he couldn’t stick in MTL or ANA.  Ended up in the Swiss League.  He’s really known for one big year and some so-so years. 

I did know that about Oates. He was my favorite player growing up because of how many games I won with him. Mostly during the Blizzard of '93 - anyone on NY, PA or NJ remembers that storm. I got marooned at my best friends house for days and was killing it with Oates. Then I became obsessed with the guy and learned everything I could about him.

He was really enigmatic during his playing days. I was actually part of a Yahoo group page in, like 2001, that had a lot of private details about his life. The place was run by a bunch of crazy stalker ladies that were in love with him.

9 hours ago, Sauce said:

I’m surprised that you didn’t catch what I did to Felix Potvin.  I lowered his agility a bit as he had terrible lateral movement but great reflexes.  That’s why he stayed so far back in the net.  His glove hand (high) also became a liability In the 1994 playoffs.  Vancouver very much exposed it and then the word was out.  However, I left his glove and stick hands as 4s given his cat-like (see what I did there) reflexes.  :)

Not everyone will agree with how I rated stuff and that’s ok.  Just know, a TON of research (way too many articles and scouting reports and sources to count) went into it.  I’m open to suggestions though if enough folks agree.

I hadn't gotten that far, yet. But very nice attention to detail there!

They're very subjective but I think you did a great job.

9 hours ago, Sauce said:

Hopefully, you enjoy the Flyers and that “Crazy 8s” line.  They weren’t half bad pre-Legion of Doom.  The injury to Lindros is what was the final coffin nail on their 94 playoff hopes.

For sure. They're solid up front with 88 & the weight-bug fix.

• Haha 1

I threw together a short summary (per) of the 26 teams, in this rom.  So, here we go...

Anaheim – No superstars on this team.  Not a lot of offense but, they have a stingy defense and a solid PK. Stephan Lebeau was a disappointment acquisition.  He was on a strong decline from the prior year as he went from 31 goals/80 points in 1992-93 to 15 goals/26 points in 1993-94.  Two years later, he was out of the NHL and playing in the Swiss League.  Bob Corkum has a good year and will provide some offense.  Just don't expect much.

Boston – 50 goals in 49 games… the line on Cam Neely and his “beast mode” season which unfortunately, ended in a season-ending injury.  The B’s had a solid team with good depth at forward and D.  Ray Bourque is still the highest rated Dman in the game at 95.  Other stud players include Adam Oates and Al Iafrate (acquired at trade deadline).  This team got hot during the playoffs, despite not having Neely and Dmitri Kvartalnov (2/3of their top line).  They beat a good Montreal team and gave a strong NJ team a bit of a challenge. Losing Joe Juneau at the trade deadline hurts but the acquisition of Iafrate and the emergence of Bryan Smolinski helps.

Buffalo – a solid team despite losing their best forward for the majority of the season.  The loss of Lafontaine hurt but the top line of Khmylev-Hawerchuk-Mogilny was solid all year.  Rookie Derek Plante had a strong debut season as well.  Besides losing Lafontaine, they also lost Craig Simpson who was a decent scorer.  Yet, they carried on and made the playoffs. The real story was Dominik Hasek.  He is the 1993-94 Vezina Trophy winner with an amazing .930 save percentage, a 1.95 goals against and a 7 shutouts (tied for league lead).  The start of his dominance in the 90s.  He has the biggest ratings increase in this rom, versus the original, as he went from a 52 to a 92.

Calgary – yes, the weight bug fix does hurt Theo Fleury’s impact on this rom but he is still a great player.  Like Boston, this team has solid forward depth and Dmen depth.  The acquisition of Zarley Zalapski and James Patrick definitely bolstered the latter.  Mike Vernon can be very "Jekyll and Hyde."  He could solid for you in the playoffs, one year, and a train wreck another.  Calgary is a solid team and had they not been upset by a hot Vancouver team, in the playoffs, they may have made a run at the Cup.

Chicago – still a solid team but not like they were the last couple of seasons.  With the weight bug fix, the legend of Jeremy Roenick changes but, he still sees a slight increase in his overall rating from the original rom so, he is still fun to play with.  The acquisition of Tony Amonte made for a solid, speedy top line that also included Roenick and Joe Murphy.  Hall of Famer Chris Chelios is joined by allstar Gary Suter on the back end so there are still some great players on this team.  Ed Belfour is still solid in goal as he was tied with Hasek for the league-led in shut-outs.  However, he was not as dominant as he was in 1990-91 or 1992-93.  He does see a big decrease in rating from 98 to 84 but the latter in nothing to sneeze at.  98 always seemed a bit too high in my opinion.

Dallas – the emergence of the superstar version of Mike Modano.  He was getting better each season and definitely upped his game in 1993-94.  Russ Courtnall must be watched as he has one of the best 2-3 step accelerations in the NHL at that time.  He can explode for several break-aways per game.  There are several offensive weapons on this team with a reliable, tough defense as well (led by Mark Tinordi and Derian Hatcher).

Detroit – MVP - Sergei Federov.  A speedy center who was one of the best defensive forwards to play the game (and not shabby offensively either).  He is tied with Mario Lemieux for highest rating in this rom at 100 due to an awesome season.  Detroit may be the most skilled team in the game with Federov, Steve Yzerman, Paul Coffey, Nick Lidstrom, Steve Chaisson, Vlad Konstantinov, Dino Ciccarelli and Slava Kozlov.  Plus, they had a rookie goalie on the rise in Chris Osgood who made Tim “Five Hole” Cheveldae expendable.  Unfortunately, a young Ozzie struggled in his first ever playoff experience.  He’d redeem himself down the road.

Edmonton – the glory years behind them as the rebuild took place.  Jason Arnott had a fantastic rookie season and was runner-up for the Calder Trophy.  Too bad his stay in Edmonton only lasted a couple of seasons.  Bill Ranford takes a notable hit in ratings due to a subpar season.  However, his D wasn’t much help to him either.  Shayne Corson and Doug Weight are the other notable forwards on this team.

Florida – Like Anaheim, there is a zero offense (other than all-star Bob Kudelski) but a lot of defense.  The Hough-Skrudland-Hull line is one of the best "shutdown lines" in 1993-94.  Brian Skrudland was one of the most underrated defensive centers in the game.  The D is solid in their own zone led by Gord Murphy.  But, 1993-94, for this team, was all about the “Beezer."  John Vanbiesbrouck had an awesome season and was the runner-up for the Vezina Trophy.  Don't expect to score many goals with this time BUT, don't expect to give up a ton either.

Hartford – The “CVS Line”.  That sums it up for offense for this team.  Cassels-Verbeek-Sanderson.  Everytime that line got broken up, it was quickly put back together. However, they lack scoring from their other lines.  Defensively, they had a young Chris Pronger who was starting to establish himself as a stud on the rise.  They also had one of the most underrated “stay at home” defensemen of all-time in Brad McCrimmon.  They also acquired a dirty, piece of garbage Dman in Bryan Marchment.  So, Pronger definitely learned from both as he went on to be a Hall of Fame Dman who was hated by players as he was dirty.

Los Angeles – “They are a finesse team.”  After a memorable run in 1992-93, the team took a major step backwards in 1993-94.  Wayne Gretzky was still the “great one” as this was his last true “Hall of Fame” season (leading the league in assists and points).  Luc Robitaille may be slow skater but he is one of the most accurate shooters in history.  Jari Kurri was getting a little long in the tooth and they lacked offensive depth and certainly Robert Lang, in 1993-94, was not a suitable number 2 center to take pressure off of Gretzky.  Guys like Alexei Zhitnik and Rob Blake were young, stud Dmen in the making.  Especially, the latter.  Kelly Hrudey was on the decline.

Montreal – the 1992-93 champs who were still a very good team.  Patrick Roy had a very solid season.  While his tenure was nearing its end in Montreal, he was still the “rock” for this team.  There’s a lot of offensive talent with Kirk Muller, Brian Bellows, Vincent Damhousse, John Leclair and Gilbert Dionne.  Plus, a then underrated two-way Dman named Eric Desjardins.  They are a balanced team despite falling flat in the 1993-94 playoffs.  

New Jersey – the start of great things to come.  They were a top 3 team in 1993-94 with the Rangers and Red Wings.  While he was already a star Dman, Scott Stevens really upped his game that year.  He was already good at offense but his defensive game became legendary starting in 1993-94. Let’s also not forget the Calder Trophy winner who would begin his Hall of Fame career in nice style – Marty Brodeur.  If not for the heroics of Mark Messier and “Matteau, Matteau, Matteau” this team may have won it all.  The Devils and Rangers played what some consider the greatest 7 game playoff series of all time.  While it ended in heart break for NJ, they redeemed themselves the next season by winning it all.

New York (Islanders) – Strong offensively, due to Pierre Turgeon, but average defensively.  Watch out for Darius Kasparaitis as he is “Ulf Samuelsson Lite.”  He’s not afraid to “tag ya.”  The rest of their D is “meh”.  Nothing special.  In fact, Ron Hextall made them seem better, in that area, then they were.  Other than the playoffs, he was pretty solid in 1993-94.

New York (Rangers) – The 1993-94 champs and the most well-rounded team (in all areas), in this rom.  They are not the most talented team (see Detroit) but had the best depth and were solid in ALL areas of the game.  Mike Richter sees a nice spike in rating from a 60 to 74 due to a very good season.  Brian Leetch got a nice bump as well (as some more speed) as he was one of the best puck-moving Dmen in the game, during that area.  The top line changed all of the time as RW was never set in stone.  Adam Graves and Mark Messier stuck together throughout the season but Steve Larmer, Alexei Kovalev and Glenn Anderson rotated in at RW (as did Mike Gartner when he was there).

Ottawa – they still suck in the game but, saw a slight improvement from the prior year.  Alexei Yashin gives gamers a legit star player (even though he was lazy in his own zone) to use.  Pretty-boy #1 draft pick, Alexandre Daigle, ended up being a bust despite having a decent rookie season.  He may be one of the biggest draft busts in history but he did (rumored) hook up with Sheryl Crow and Pam Anderson.  So, at least he has that going for him.  He did try a stab at the movie biz and failed.  As his hockey career didn’t end up being much, it would have been hard to tell this wanna-be actor to “stick to your day job.”  LOL.  Norm Maciver is pretty solid and underrated as a player.  Playing for a bad team certainly doesn’t help get you much attention but he is fairly good in this rom.

Philadelphia – Eric Lindros becomes the truth (especially with the weight bug fix).  He became the stud he was expected to be and was carrying this team until his injury killed their playoff hopes.  The “Crazy 8s” line was very good in stretches during the season.  Mikael Renberg (2/3s of the future Legion of Doom line) had a great rookie season and was a Calder Trophy finalist.  Garry Galley and Yves Racine are solid puck-moving D.  Goalie is a weakness for this time and would be until the return of Hextall (and then again, off and on, after he retires).

Pittsburgh – as Clockwise noted above, their biggest weakness becomes a strength with the weight bug fix.  There’s a bunch of big guys on this team who can carry the puck and play physical.  Watch out for the Samuelsson Twins.  Both are very solid in their own end.  "Ulfie" was very intimidating to play against as he was big and physical and a bit dirty (knee hits and face washes).  Mario Lemieux missed a chunk of the season but made it back for the playoffs.  He put up typical "Super Mario" numbers which is why he is tied for highest rated player in the game.  During his absence, Jaromir Jagr, Ron Francis and Kevin Stevens held down the fort.  As did star Dman Larry Murphy.  But, don’t forget/sleep on all-star winger Joe Mullen who has a fantastic year.  This is an awesome team who unfortunately, ran into a hot Capitals team in the playoffs.

Quebec – definitely a step backwards, from the previous season, for this team.  Largely due to Ron Hextall leaving and the team being forced to use Stephane Fiset who was not a suitable replacement.  The loss of Owen Nolan, after only five games in, also hurt.  Joe Sakic and Mats Sundin had solid years.  A young Dman named Adam Foote would become one of the more solid defenders in the game but that was still a couple of years away AND, in another country/state.  The franchise glory years would be “to come” but not as the Nordiques.

San Jose – a “Cinderella story” or a “David and Goliath” story, in 1993-94.  The eighth seed taking on the best team in the West (Detroit) and beating them in the playoffs.  Then, nearly doing the same to a solid Maples Leafs team.  Had Johan Garpenlov not hit the post, in overtime of game 6, they would have knocked off the Leafs.  However, he did hit the post, Mike Gartner ends up scoring and tying up the series.  Game 7 goes the Leafs way, as the Sharks ran out of gas, and that was "all she wrote."  Arturs Irbe was great in 1993-94 and really helped carry this team at times.  Sergei Makarov and Igor Larionov are fantastic forwards with tons of chemistry from their days of being part of the famed "KLM line" with Vladimir Krutov.  Don’t “sleep” on this team.

St.Louis – they lack forward depth which is why they constantly broke up the line of Shanahan-Janney-Hull which was always solid together.  Brett Hull had several centers in 1993-94 including Jim Montgomery which was not ideal.  However, Hull and Brandon Shanahan had awesome seasons as each had 50 or more goals.  Kevin Miller had a solid season and was often paired with Shanahan and Janney.  Shanny and Janney had great chemistry which made what would happen come next (post 93-94 season) more tragic… Shanny had an affair with and then stole Janney’s wife (Google it).  The lack of scoring depth did them in during the playoffs when they got swept in round 1 by Dallas.  The team has some solid offensive Dmen with Steve Duchesne and Phil Housley although neither is great in their own zone (especially the latter).  Cujo (Curtis Joseph) is one of the most underrated goalies in the 90s.  He just never got the credit he deserved despite putting up some great number.

Tampa Bay – Brian Bradley is a somewhat underrated center and would be an all-star for the second straight season.  Petr Klima and Denis Savard are also solid forwards to use.  There isn’t much on the defensive side to write home about.  Although, Chris Joseph is decent.  Goaltending was an issue, in 1993-94, as well.  However, Daren Puppa would end up being strong in net, for the team, in the late 90s.  1993-94 was just not their year.

Toronto – definitely a strong team.  The acquisition of Mike Gartner further strengthened a great core of stud forwards led by Doug Gilmour.  Dave Andreychuk (despite his slow skating), Wendel Clark (who was very accurate in 93-94) and Nikolai Borschevsky are all great in the game.  The team D is very solid and they had an exciting young goalie known as “Felix the Cat.”  

Vancouver – the defending Western Champs.  While not as good a team as the Rangers, Devils and Red Wings, they are pretty well-balanced.  Led by super-stud winger, Pavel Bure, this team was fun to watch in the 1994 playoffs.  Kirk MacLean, while average during the regular season was solid throughout the playoffs and played a big part in why they made it to the Cup finals.  Jyrki Lumme and Jeff Brown and both solid in the back end and Trevor Linden was a great leader, and solid center, for this team.

Washington – Skilled forwards (Joe Juneau, Peter Bondra and Dmitri Khristich) provide plenty of offensive punch.  The team also has a solid D core with Kevin Hatcher, Calle Johansson, Sylvian Cote and Joe Reekie.  Their weakness is in net although, Don Beaupre was solid in the playoffs in round 1 and big reason why they beat the Penguins.  He was “not so much” in round 2.

Winnipeg – What a difference a year makes.  Talk about taking a turn for the worse.  This team did and was the second worst team in the league, in 1993-94.  Losing Phil Housley to the Blues was a major hit as he played quite a role in Teemu Selanne’s rookie season for the ages.  They had no one to replace his speed and puck handling skills from the backend.  To further makes matters worse, Selanne was injured in the second half of the season.  Goaltending and D were terrible, despite the acquisition of reliable Dman Dave Manson.  Teppo Numminen was always an underrated, solid Dman but he had a terrible season (his worst) in 1993-94.  The top line of Keith Tkachuk-Alexei Zhamnov-Teemu Selanne (when healthy) is fun to watch.  They are also fun to play with in the game.

Edited by Sauce
  • Thanks 2
  • Like 1

On 7/19/2020 at 1:20 PM, PenguinFan1985 said:

Looking forward to trying this out. Thanks @Sauce

No problem...hope you have fun with it!

• Like 1

Hi All!

There was one thing that I forgot to put into this rom which was 99 minute OT.  I have re-posted the rom to include it so as to avoid ties in the playoffs.  As this is a "playoff" themed rom, it made sense to add it into the file. 

Sorry for the oversight.  Updated version is in the OP.  That was the only change that I made to the file.  Thanks for the "likes" and any positive feedback so far!

Cheers!

-Sauce

Edited by Sauce

1 hour ago, Sauce said:

Hi All!

There was one thing that I forgot to put into this rom which was 99 minute OT.  I have re-posted the rom to include it so as to avoid ties in the playoffs.  As this is a "playoff" themed rom, it made sense to add it into the file. 

Sorry for the oversight.  Updated version is in the OP.  That was the only change that I made to the file.  Thanks for the "likes" and any positive feedback so far!

Cheers!

-Sauce

So, turns out, it may not have even mattered.  I just played a playoff game that went to OT and it defaulted a 5 minute period (not 99).  So, I tested it out to see what would happen if no one scored after 5 minutes and it simply goes to another 5 min OT period.  So, all for not, I guess.  I don't even recall the last time I played "playoffs" let alone having it go to double OT.  So, my bad.

Well, seeing any most folks don't like a tie score endings anyway, at least the 99 min OT will serve a purpose for exis or whatnot.

Edited by Sauce
  • Like 1

Howdy!

A friend of mine noticed a couple of "errors" with stick hand (L vs R) so I updated the rom accordingly (it's been re-posted in the OP).  Upon doing research for another rom that I am working on, I noticed some things that I didn't have "correct", with certain players, so I made a few updates.  It was based on some scouting reports and whatnot.  So, things that I didn't catch the last time around so I figured, "since I am fixing a couple of errors, why not..."  As to what they are, I'll never tell.  ;)

But, you can always download it and see if you notice anything.  :)

This was definitely the most fun that I had putting together a rom!  Thank you to anyone who had a kind word or took the time to download it!  Hopefully, I am done working on it in any way, shape or form so I can focus on other rom projects.

Cheers!

Edited by Sauce

Thanks for this! Always a big fan of your roms. I fired up a game last night as my beloved Flames against Vancouver. Pure lit me up--seriously, he was all over the ice. I really like your roms because star players play like star players. I love details like that. Pavel Bure up against Kevin Dahl? Yeah, I'll take Bure 10 times out of 10. 

Random question(s) for you: I've always wondered if goalie rating actually make a difference in this game. Does Hasek really play different than say Craig Billington or Mike O'Neil? If you were to line up the same one timer from Cam Neely would Hasek stop it while Billington would always let it in? Also, does playing as a manual goalie sort of nullify the goalie ratings? Sorry, this is sort of a 3 headed question, but I've always been curious about goalie tendencies in this game. 

42 minutes ago, bbb777 said:

Thanks for this! Always a big fan of your roms. I fired up a game last night as my beloved Flames against Vancouver. Pure lit me up--seriously, he was all over the ice. I really like your roms because star players play like star players. I love details like that. Pavel Bure up against Kevin Dahl? Yeah, I'll take Bure 10 times out of 10. 

Random question(s) for you: I've always wondered if goalie rating actually make a difference in this game. Does Hasek really play different than say Craig Billington or Mike O'Neil? If you were to line up the same one timer from Cam Neely would Hasek stop it while Billington would always let it in? Also, does playing as a manual goalie sort of nullify the goalie ratings? Sorry, this is sort of a 3 headed question, but I've always been curious about goalie tendencies in this game. 

Thanks, I appreciate the kind words.  Make sure you have the latest version which was posted last night.  It has some good changes/updates.  Anywho...

I haven't noticed a huge difference in goalies based on ratings unless the goalie is real bad with agility.  Having a very agile goalie helps with lateral movement.  Having one with better rebound control helps with the puck "sticky" factor.  But, I can't say that when I play exis, I notice a huge difference between a goalie rated 90 vs one rated 65.  Maybe it's because I play manual and not automatic?  However, if I sim a game, I do see some difference in that the better goalies don't give up as much goals (imagine that).  As far as exis are concerned, it helps, some, to have a higher rated goalie as they have a better chance at stopping most shots that are not one-timers or done through "the move."  Probably a question better addressed by other folks here who play lots of exis or league play as I havent given it much thought.  LOL

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/23/2020 at 2:30 AM, Sauce said:

So, turns out, it may not have even mattered.  I just played a playoff game that went to OT and it defaulted a 5 minute period (not 99).  So, I tested it out to see what would happen if no one scored after 5 minutes and it simply goes to another 5 min OT period.  So, all for not, I guess.  I don't even recall the last time I played "playoffs" let alone having it go to double OT.  So, my bad.

Well, seeing any most folks don't like a tie score endings anyway, at least the 99 min OT will serve a purpose for exis or whatnot.

Hi Sauce!

I've been playing your rom for the last couple of days and is awesome, I Iove it! Thanks a lot for you effort.

Just a question, Is there an updated version of the rom without the 99 min OT?

Thanks!

43 minutes ago, Deckard said:

Hi Sauce!

I've been playing your rom for the last couple of days and is awesome, I Iove it! Thanks a lot for you effort.

Just a question, Is there an updated version of the rom without the 99 min OT?

Thanks!

Thanks!  Glad to hear that you are enjoying it!  I just added a 10 minute OT version (just like the original NHL94).  It's in the original post above.  Enjoy!

Edited by Sauce
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Sauce said:

Thanks!  Glad to hear that you are enjoying it!  I just added a 10 minute OT version (like like the original NHL94).  It's in the original post above.  Enjoy!

Wow that was fast! Thanks a lot, I really appreciate it