NHL'94 Forums

Merging NHL94 & NHL95

UltraMagnus

Hello All,

I'm doing something that might have been attempted or not. But thought the conversation may need to be asked.

What are your thoughts of merging NHL94  and NHL95?

Using the players from 94 in 95?

Using end of period/penalties screen from 94 into 95?

Having the season mode and other features from 95-98 with but still having the game play from 94 would be ideal.

Floating doing this for a while but never got started because of how old / outdated the hardware is. 

• Like 1

That’s right. I think a lot of people prefer the players in 94 over 95 (myself included). But the game play is superior in 95, plus you have the season, stats and offseason awards.

There would be some interesting aspects, like even adding the bleeding from 93. I think it would be interesting to try melding a few seasons together to have a superior overall experience. Not sure, if you think so.

2 minutes ago, clockwise said:

Having the season mode and other features from 95-98 with but still having the game play from 94 would be ideal.

Floating doing this for a while but never got started because of how old / outdated the hardware is. 

I think taking the players from 94 and copying into 95 would be pretty easy as long as there is a match for each movement. And if so, I’ll be starting this week with that project, once I’m done updating all the logos in NBA Live 98. Great developments in that game. 

• 4 months later...

I definitely think 94 sprites are superior to 95 but of course 95 offers the stats tracking and season mode. I wouldn’t even think trying to add a season mode in 94 would be possible without a ton of knowledge of old assembler.

4 hours ago, Darrin said:

or get EA to release the source code....convert the assembly to C/C++

99% sure they don't have the source code. Source code repositories and versioning weren't a thing back then. The code was probably kept on some computer or tape backup that was lost 20 years ago.

One of my favourite games is the "Cataclysm" expansion from 2000 for the game "Homeworld." A few years ago they released a remastered version of Homeworld, but there's no Cataclysm expansion for it.. because they lost the source code.

NASA taped over the original moon landing tapes, BBC taped over the original Doctor Who tapes...

Hell I used to have my own code repository on a computer in my basement, and I have no idea if that thing works anymore or what the passwords were etc :P

• Haha 1

21 hours ago, smozoma said:

99% sure they don't have the source code. Source code repositories and versioning weren't a thing back then. The code was probably kept on some computer or tape backup that was lost 20 years ago.

One of my favourite games is the "Cataclysm" expansion from 2000 for the game "Homeworld." A few years ago they released a remastered version of Homeworld, but there's no Cataclysm expansion for it.. because they lost the source code.

NASA taped over the original moon landing tapes, BBC taped over the original Doctor Who tapes...

Hell I used to have my own code repository on a computer in my basement, and I have no idea if that thing works anymore or what the passwords were etc :P

This is true, good point lol.

• 4 weeks later...

Okay guys a small break through. I've begun playing with replacing the NHL95 sprites with NHL94 sprites and I've almost got the goalies done. It took some time to find similar spots and with everyone's knowledge and information posted thought the years has really helped. Ill be posting some screen shots/video of the game play. If all works out. Ill do the players there after. 

• Like 2

On 8/8/2020 at 8:18 PM, clockwise said:

Not at all.
However, playing '95 with '94 sprites and arena / visuals would be interesting.

And I'm sure @segathon has a patch for you to wear. 

Opinions opinions. 95 kills 94 in every way! Season play stats schedule create players plus season playoffs. Only thing cool about 94 is the fighting. Can't even trade players on 94 to keep rosters updated. Nah 95 KILLS 94 OLD TIERED ASS

6 hours ago, Engelby77 said:

Only thing cool about 94 is the fighting.

I think you're thinking of '93, which yes, totally is blown out of the water by 95 (and 94).

Edited by seamor
  • Love 1

On 1/27/2021 at 11:48 AM, seamor said:

I think you're thinking of '93, which yes, totally is blown out of the water by 95 (and 94).

No, he's not thinking, which is the problem.  This is not the first time that he crapped all over NHL94 and all because he is a butt-hurt little boy, mad that no one will build him his fantasy roms.   This pre-dates @UltraMagnus coming here and doing all of his fantastic NHL95 work.  Even after the incendiary reaction that Engelby once incited from his "NHL 94 sucks" post, he still doesn't "get it."   If you don't like the game, that's fine.  Then, go away!

He badgered me, Skip and others to do all of his custom NHL94 work requests and because he didn't get what he wanted, he craps on NHL94 on an NHL94 site.  I had to block his PMs because he is a stalker who doesn't take no or the hint.  He fails to see the irony that without this amazing game, and this awesome community, he wouldn't have a forum to complain.  

Maybe he should shut up and learn how to do the work himself!  Give back to the community!  He does absolutely nothing but wants and wants and wants.  Then, he makes such pointless, bitter posts.  Enough already!

Edited by Sauce

• 4 weeks later...
2 hours ago, UltraMagnus said:

Back to my pipe dream. :grimace: but have found all the graphics to import the 94' goalies into 95' have tested them all and everything is working pretty good. No glitching or delays. So, it is possible just alot of work. 

The mad scientist hard at work!  :)

• Like 1