NHL'94 Forums

Come back

danTML7

Hey you. Yeah the one who quit a few years ago and wrote off the league for a variety of reasons previously discussed and that don't really need to be re-hashed. Okay, I'll re-hash a few:

1) gens is confusing and annoying - We are all on Retroarch now. it's not perfect, but it's easier and better and we have dedicated people who can try a bunch of stuff to fix it. 
2) people are tryhards/ assholes/ douchebags - okay lay off @Uncle Seth, but pretty much everyone else is nice and fun to play against. This season, we had enough players to have a C division, and next year if most stay, we'll be able to balance competition even more!
3) AOL IM sucks - LOL we use discord. I'm so glad I wasn't here in the days of AOL IM or I would have laughed this group into obscurity.
4) people don't play their games - @kingraph or @halifax can correct me, but I think we had like 95% league games and 100% playoff games played this last Classic. 
5) soandso's not here anymore, so I quit - be your own man. There's lots more good people here to play with. even Halifax plays online now. 
6) laaaaaaaaaaaaaaagolas - generally speaking, this keeps getting better not only because of general internet quality (like fiberoptics, and higher speeds, lower latency), but also because of chaos and other tech guys who can help with retroarch settings and computer settings to enable/disable/change things to tweak. 

Need more reasons?
1) lately we stream an average of 10 hours of high quality NHL94 action per week to various twitch channels. Okay, some is high quality, some is low, and some f**king weird dude has plastic stairs, but it's great fun to hang, drink, and chat with the other viewers.

2) There's some thing in Korea called "NHL 94 Rewind". We have no idea what it is or what system it's for, but this could be optimized for internet gameplay (unlike our original version), and could make finding and playing games all over the world easier. Or it could be a massive f**king flop. But either way, come join the party!

3) Just recently, a player named @Tickenest created an online ELO based player ranking/rating type of system. Since there may not be (m)any live tourneys for NHL94 that would qualify as official events and change rankings, an online system is a good way to find out where you rank against all the other players around North America and try to climb the ladder.

4) there's more exis available than ever, at all hours of the day. "Primetime" is still 7-11EST, but we have players who post for games as late as 5am EST, and as early as 7am EST haha. And imagine if YOU and ten others come back and post when you want exis? No more waiting for games. 

5) who the f**k is danTML anyway? Never heard of him - I'm just a guy who accidentally skipped over nhl94 in the franchise due to being poor as a kid. Owned 93, 95, 97, and then stuck with 97 for 22 years. I'm very saddened and embarrassed, but I've been in this community now for a while and I realize 97 is trash and I've played thousands of games of 94 since and I'm always learning and improving. I started a YouTube and Twitch channel to help spread the joy to others. I exi anyone and everyone and also help chaos with tech support.

6) I'm considering helping to fire up Plablegs old league as it seems like it was thoroughly enjoyed and missed.

The list could go on, but those are the main ones I can think of. I'm going to tag some names that I've seen around lately in tickenest's data that he's shared. Feel free to ignore, or wake up from your long retirement/hiatus/slumber, find us on discord and I'll help you get set up!

@Zalex @Freydey @Depch @NorthwayNative @Carse @Bigfoot @minpind @dangleisious @Fitzo @donnybrook @Sicarius @Buc @flasox24 @Wittgenstein @nahkahomo @eggink444 @orangeblack92 @da94wookiee @skoolyardpuck @Sebe_The_Legend @Snyder @ba55i5t @Bo Knows NHL94 @Skeletor @jackandjose @redbonzai @JackVandal @xdeathsbloodx @Pearate @Burntman @The Dopefish @kylewat @VintageKing @jbalicki10 @Samuel Quirion 

There is 100% I tagged someone that I probably shouldn't have, like someone who was banned or someone who died, or whatever, but I don't care. I hope you're all okay in COVID times and you'll join us all with some NHL94 self-isolation (immolation???) To anyone else reading, feel free to tag a bug or two. To you @Brutus, how much can we as the NHL94 community pay you to spam text all those cell numbers you have in your phone and get them to come back for a tourney or some exis to see if they still got it? LOL. Thanks all. 

• Love 3
  • Like 3

On 9/22/2020 at 6:18 PM, danTML7 said:

Need more reasons?
1) lately we stream an average of 10 hours of high quality NHL94 action per week to various twitch channels. Okay, some is high quality, some is low, and some f**king weird dude has plastic stairs, but it's great fun to hang, drink, and chat with the other viewers.

5) who the f**k is danTML anyway? Never heard of him - I'm just a guy who accidentally skipped over nhl94 in the franchise due to being poor as a kid. Owned 93, 95, 97, and then stuck with 97 for 22 years. I'm very saddened and embarrassed, but I've been in this community now for a while and I realize 97 is trash and I've played thousands of games of 94 since and I'm always learning and improving. I started a YouTube and Twitch channel to help spread the joy to others. I exi anyone and everyone and also help chaos with tech support.

#1: that "weird dude" with the plastic stairs has been my own personal "Property Brother" and I'll not have you besmirch that guy! He's inspired me to plastic all the stairs in my entire condo building (it's harder though, nowadays, to break into my neighbor's units undetected since everyone is working from home. Thanks for nothing, COVID!)

and #5: honestly, @danTML7 f**king rules, as does most everybody around here. I'm just a rookie (and I'm one dumb cookie), but the amount of guys in this community who are willing to raise their hands to create new ROMS, start up side leagues, help fools like me get their s**t together for online play, etc. is really f**king awesome. There is (and has been) a crazy-strong foundation of solid f**king people here, and we're adding to it more and more everyday. So to echo dan's overall point, come get involved and get f**king weird with us!

DanK

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

what is "long gone"? dead? why can't someone take a 2 year break of a 5 year break and then come back and be hardcore again? people have kids, get wives, etc.... then kids grow up, wives get boring, and they need more excitement!

• Haha 1

36 minutes ago, danTML7 said:

what is "long gone"? dead? why can't someone take a 2 year break of a 5 year break and then come back and be hardcore again? people have kids, get wives, etc.... then kids grow up, wives get boring, and they need more excitement!

No not dead but MIA.   Some people get too busy or whatever the case and lose interest.  But there's more to it IMO & from experience.  When people take time off, the addictive aspect (very strong when one's an active player)...it wears off.  That physiological urge isn't there anymore.   It can be reignited but it's just not easy to coax former players back onto the ice because the brain has changed a little.  The stimulus of even thinking about 94 doesn't excite like it does when you're active.   How many of us have played exis when asked even though we're dead tired or think we aren't in the mood?  It takes very little to bait that other guy into exiing (assuming he's an active player).  It's that switch that goes off, you have to play.  Your brain's reward center made the decision for you.  

Jack Vandal (former player) used to exi w/me nightly for 2 years.  He was a bartender at the time and we'd play after he was out of work.  There were many instances he admitted, where he'd turn down invitations to chill with hot, tipsy broads, usually guaranteed lays.  He'd make up a reason not to hang w/them just so he could exi me instead.  Other times, he'd bring the girl home w/him then wouldn't be able to resist turning on the PC to see if I was around to play.  94 was competing with sex.  He'd want his cake and eat it too, so he'd be like "I'll be back on in 45min, gotta go right now" LOL.   Now it wasn't that Jack was a jacked up stud, rich, or packed a monster schlong.  He had something these women wanted they couldn't resist.  A little bit of coke.  Their version of 94.  

So anyway, we have to keep the dedicated members engaged or at least not go too long without activity.  Just my 2 (ok about 5) cents.

Edited by Uncle Seth
  • Haha 1

5 minutes ago, Uncle Seth said:

No not dead but MIA.   Some people get too busy or whatever the case and lose interest.  But there's more to it IMO & from experience.  When people take time off, the addictive aspect (very strong when one's an active player)...it wears off.  That physiological urge isn't there anymore.   It can be reignited but it's just not easy to coax former players back onto the ice because the brain has changed a little.  The stimulus of even thinking about 94 doesn't excite like it does when you're active.   How many of us have played exis when asked even though we're dead tired or think we aren't in the mood?  It takes very little to bait that other guy into exiing (assuming he's an active player).  It's that switch that goes off, you have to play.  Your brain's reward center made the decision for you.  

Just want to point out that we've had a number of players come back from ~10-year hiatuses recently. Tickenest, scribe, skoolyardpuck, and VocallyCaged, McMarkis all played in the latest classic. I could be missing some other SNES players too since I'm not familiar with them.

15 minutes ago, smozoma said:

Just want to point out that we've had a number of players come back from ~10-year hiatuses recently. Tickenest, scribe, skoolyardpuck, and VocallyCaged, McMarkis all played in the latest classic. I could be missing some other SNES players too since I'm not familiar with them.

I know, it's amazing.  Hokkee too.  But it feels like more of the exception than the rule.  So many others still MIA.  And some who can be contacted but just don't bite on the offer.  So difficult to re-hook the fish after it's gotten away.  

Edited by Uncle Seth

28 minutes ago, Uncle Seth said:

I know, it's amazing.  Hokkee too.  But it feels like more of the exception than the rule.  So many others still MIA.  And some who can be contacted but just don't bite on the offer.  So difficult to re-hook the fish after it's gotten away.  

Whoops, how could I forget hokkee! I looked at the classic results and didn't see him.

Anyway,  I think it was a good idea to reach out and hopefully get a few people by updating them on improvements/happenings.

I'm not an online player, the missus and I have foregone having kids, she is far from boring, I'm already skating, rapidly, towards forty and I've been playing '94, for around fifteen years.

Only having found this community, less than, a week ago, I can safely say... I'm here for the long haul. :dal_skater_hand_grab:

• Love 4
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/5/2020 at 12:23 AM, smozoma said:

I also came back after a 10 year hiatus. I think my last classic season was in 2010. A bunch of things contributed to me stopping, new job commitments, girlfriend, moving etc. And there was a bit of a lull in committed SNES players at that time. I played in the Vegas tournament in 2017 and got my ass kicked by the Vancouver guys. Came back to online play for the SoChel tourney and got my ass beat again so it motivated me to get back into playing some seasons. 

Like Dan says in the post, there’s been so many improvements in the last 10 years. Retroarch seems to be working a lot better than other programs we used to use. Discord is a million times better than AIM for communication. Also adding the save states for SNES to track the stats on the website is a huge add that we never had before. I bet if more guys knew how much better it is now it wouldn’t take much convincing to get them back. I’m having a ton of fun again and happy to be back!

• Love 2

• 1 month later...

9 hours ago, Sebe_The_Legend said:

where can i see that data Tickenest put together?

If you're interested in the player ratings that Dan mentioned up above, here is my version of all-time (since Spring 2013) ELO-based player ratings.  These are (I think) based upon regular-season performance and are current through Classic Summer 2020.  Several of us put our heads together and decided that it made the most sense to give players who appeared in multiple levels different ratings for each level.  We also estimate that A level should start at ELO 1700, B at 1500, and C (or equivalent) at 1300.

Classic GENS:

https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachments/693456294501154856/763581422510145576/unknown-5.png

Classic SNES:

https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachments/240813609494511616/757987415901339718/unknown.png

@Pearate and @HABS....... I'm here all day and night and whenever for EXIS!! (that means exhibition games if you've forgotten :P)

And now apparently I'm the DUKE of NHL94 SNES, and future WINNER of Sega King Consolation bracket this weekend also. So you can play against such royalty as myself lol

why did you delete your post? accidentally @Uncle Seth. You started saying "Would be nice to see talented A coaches like Sebe & Habs come back and play regularly online again like they did years ago.  But I'm a realist, it... 

So far Sebe (Raph's teacher apparently?!) and his buds have played a ton in the last few days. Also, HABS reached out to me last night and watched some 2v2. He's hooked back in again. LET'S GOOOO

2 hours ago, danTML7 said:

So far Sebe (Raph's teacher apparently?!) 

FACT.  When I first joined, it was @Sebe_The_Legendwho took the time to repeatedly kick my ass over and over in exis, share his knowledge, and ultimately get my game up to "A".  Other two who were integral to this were @Zalexand @smozoma

EDIT:  That experience is also why I will exi against anyone who asks.  It meant a lot to me in the beginning to have an "A" level player play against me.  Almost all of them wouldn't bother.  I know I don't do it as often these days, but I really wanted to pay that experience forward.  

• Love 1
  • Like 3

31 minutes ago, kingraph said:

FACT.  When I first joined, it was @Sebe_The_Legendwho took the time to repeatedly kick my ass over and over in exis, share his knowledge, and ultimately get my game up to "A".  Other two who were integral to this were @Zalexand @smozoma

EDIT:  That experience is also why I will exi against anyone who asks.  It meant a lot to me in the beginning to have an "A" level player play against me.  Almost all of them wouldn't bother.  I know I don't do it as often these days, but I really wanted to pay that experience forward.  

@kingraph Mission Accomplished!

• Like 1

5 hours ago, danTML7 said:

why did you delete your post? accidentally @Uncle Seth. You started saying "Would be nice to see talented A coaches like Sebe & Habs come back and play regularly online again like they did years ago.  But I'm a realist, it... 

So far Sebe (Raph's teacher apparently?!) and his buds have played a ton in the last few days. Also, HABS reached out to me last night and watched some 2v2. He's hooked back in again. LET'S GOOOO

A) I like to delete and B), I felt it was a redundant statement of mine that no one wants to hear.  PS, it ended with "But I'm a realist, it ain't happening". 

Habs is a 2v2 only weirdo.  But he used to be a very good player and played in leagues.  Very much like Ice's game (remember him?) with the wild pass shots.  Probably not so much anymore as that's what happens to most when they are away from the game for years.  Sebe tried coming back too but he didn't stay long.  So yeah, it's a shame.  They're not coming back permanently, just for this tourney.

Edited by Uncle Seth

I dunno man. I'm a sticky guy. All this new streaming tech is appealing. But let's get real... soon we'll all start dying, and then we'll really have an excuse for this community dying too. Until then... EXIS?!

• Haha 1

• 1 year later...