NHL'94 Forums

NHL 94 Rewind

I got the puck

I think we are getting the greatest remake of a video game of all time. With online play. 

https://comicbook.com/gaming/amp/news/nhl-94-rewind-ratings-board-listing-leaks/

Surely EA cannot drop the ball / puck with this one?!

Whilst the licensing rights for the original players might have long-expired, you would think that the current arrangement with the NHL, NHLPA etc. would allow for, say, the 2020/21 rosters and teams that are already to be included in NHL '21 to also be included in NHL Rewind '94.  Given that no-one would really moan if the game were just available (i.e. it needs no particular bells and whistles adding to it), it is easy money for EA for very little effort.  £10 / £15 to be able to play it on the PS4 / PS5?  It is a no-brainer and I would probably play that more that NHL '21 when it inevitably pops through my letterbox!  Good lord, an online option... :blink:

• 2 weeks later...

Remember back then in 2014, EA marketed the NHL 94 as a Game mode as part of its Anniversary? Its also kind of ironic because fighting happens in 93 and barely happens in 94, at least you can engage fighting and other stuff in the options menu on pause in nhl 14 or play as your custom made teams. Sadly, you can not change the time length of the game. it was usually 20 minutes per period by default.

Or when EA shoehorned a NHL 94 port in NHL 06 as a ps2 exclusive that was universally unpopular?

Remember back then in 2014, EA marketed the NHL 94 as a Game mode as part of its 20th Anniversary? Its also kind of ironic because fighting happens in 93 and barely happens in 94, at least you can engage fighting and other stuff in the options menu on pause in nhl 14 or play as your custom made teams. Sadly, you can not change the time length of the game. it was usually 20 minutes per period by default.

Or remember when EA shoehorned a NHL 94 port in NHL 06 as a ps2 exclusive that was universally unpopular that you hardly see videos or screenshots on it anywhere?

Edited by bushhockeyfan

• 3 weeks later...

I'm curious... how do we feel about this?

Yes, any re-release of classic games is great. But I sort of feel like it's the big studio cashing in on something they long ago abandoned. Plus, it's clearly a desperate attempt to make people buy NHL21. I don't know I feel like I'd rather play the ROM mods. Even without all 31 teams.

4 minutes ago, tinpanalley said:

I'm curious... how do we feel about this?

Yes, any re-release of classic games is great. But I sort of feel like it's the big studio cashing in on something they long ago abandoned. Plus, it's clearly a desperate attempt to make people buy NHL21. I don't know I feel like I'd rather play the ROM mods. Even without all 31 teams.

There are different things that can happen, and they are not mutually-exclusive.

1. It creates interest in 94. People google it and find the community. They play in leagues and come to tournaments and make ROMs. Big win!
  2. People leave here to go play on their couch. Boo.
  3. People who would never play here enjoy NHL94 on their couch and their big TV. Makes no difference to us.
  4. EA's lawyers destroy us or hijack our sites and/or tournaments for infringing on a property they are now actively using.

So we hope the balance of 1 and 2 is in our favour and that 4 doesn't happen.

• Like 2

Just now, smozoma said:

There are different things that can happen, and they are not mutually-exclusive.

1. It creates interest in 94. People google it and find the community. They play in leagues and come to tournaments and make ROMs. Big win!
  2. People leave here to go play on their couch. Boo.
  3. EA's lawyers destroy us for infringing on a property they are now actively using.

And that means they could come after other years' mods as well. (But are there any really for other NHL versions? I haven't looked in along while. Would love mods for the the late 90s NHLs)
I think people who play now will continue to because we don't do it out of a lack of arcade-y hockey games, we do it because we like the old games. And they're not hard to get running. But I think the people who have a tiny soft spot for old games but only play modern consoles will see that as an easy way of playing "the old NHL" even though the sprite animation and tech is bound to not be the same.

2 minutes ago, tinpanalley said:

even though the sprite animation and tech is bound to not be the same.

It looks like it is exactly the same, they probably use an emulator and a customized ROM.

They appear to have added an extra menu screen to the game, where you assign controllers to teams (like on SNES), which is interesting. I'm not sure how they did that, if they modified the ROM or created a front-end that kicks off the game in an emulator.

1 hour ago, smozoma said:

It looks like it is exactly the same, they probably use an emulator and a customized ROM.

They appear to have added an extra menu screen to the game, where you assign controllers to teams (like on SNES), which is interesting. I'm not sure how they did that, if they modified the ROM or created a front-end that kicks off the game in an emulator.

Wonder if someone from EA was just surfing around on here undetected and really pushed for this to happen. Would be a shame if they used somebody's work on here and didn't give them proper credit. I haven't looked to see what the new rewind looks like yet, but I do hope they choose to make it available by itself on the new consoles as a small purchase download option if it's good.

Edited by PenguinFan1985

1 hour ago, PenguinFan1985 said:

Wonder if someone from EA was just surfing around on here undetected and really pushed for this to happen. Would be a shame if they used somebody's work on here and didn't give them proper credit. I haven't looked to see what the new rewind looks like yet, but I do hope they choose to make it available by itself on the new consoles as a small purchase download option if it's good.

I'm sure some of our stuff has found its way into the game, but they also seem to have expanded it to 33 teams, and the menu has a mysterious extra entry at the bottom (the scroll arrow remains even though you're at what is normally the bottom item). So they've definitely done some work. The player portraits don't match one of the 2020 ROMs I looked at recently, so I think they used their own pictures (however I didn't check the other ROM)

• Like 3

Based on the video that I saw, there’s no helmet sprite fix.  If that vid is the actual release, that’s kinda lazy to not address it.  Then again, there’s only one Lord of the Clockwise and he does not share pow... never mind.  Anywho...at least some mods, here, can celebrate that awesome patch!

Makes me wonder if the weight bug has been fixed.  Willing to bet, it has given that was the lone black eye on the original.  As it is not a secret, my guess is that EA would right that wrong.

Edited by Sauce

2 hours ago, smozoma said:

So they've definitely done some work. The player portraits don't match one of the 2020 ROMs I looked at recently, so I think they used their own pictures (however I didn't check the other ROM)

hmmmm the plot thickens....:lol:

1 hour ago, Sauce said:

Makes me wonder if the weight bug has been fixed.  Willing to bet, it has given that was the lone black eye on the original.  As it is not a secret, my guess is that EA would right that wrong.

It would have been cool if they had gotten some of the 'big names' around here involved for a test and comment type of thing. Get the professionals involved... well I look at a lot of you guys as professionals anways. :D

5 minutes ago, Tabs3121 said:

Does anybody think is rom might be working some some genesis emulator?  Therefore it could be ripped and played on a raspberry pi?

Almost certainly. I doubt EA would go to the trouble of developing a proprietary emulator (nor the trouble of getting 16 bit code running on a modern system without emulation), so the question is what emulator are they using, and how is the ROM packaged with\in it? In theory, if this suspicion is true, it could be ripped and played on any other genesis emulator, from Gens, to a RetroArch core, to a "genesis on a chip" repro console...

Edited by MonkeyHead

4 minutes ago, MonkeyHead said:

Almost certainly. I doubt EA would go to the trouble of developing a proprietary emulator (nor the trouble of getting 16 bit code running on a modern system without emulation), so the question is what emulator are they using, and how is the ROM packaged with\in it? In theory, if this suspicion is true, it could be ripped and played on any other genesis emulator, from Gens, to a RetroArch core, to a "genesis on a chip" repro console...

I hope your right. I know we get updated roms here in the forum, but something official from EA to throw on the Pi will be cool as hell.

19 hours ago, slapshot67 said:

looks like it will be just teams and players, in the gameplay video from ea, they didn't even update the ice.

https://twitter.com/EASPORTSNHL/status/1312151879376281603

Ah, good observation, they don't have the trapezoid hack.

If you mean the ice colour, I don't blame them for not changing that. The options are pure blinding white, pink, yellow, or blue-green. I'll take the original blue-green. (there's also grey, but it's darker and looks like concrete)