Recommended Posts

  • Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Yes. The lack of online play is extremely disappointing. I get they have to come up with new ideas to sell the game every year. But adding in nhl’94 rewind is targeting gamers 30,40,50 year olds. We w

Skin tones work during the play, too.

Posted Images

On 10/2/2020 at 3:34 PM, smozoma said:

There are different things that can happen, and they are not mutually-exclusive.

  1. It creates interest in 94. People google it and find the community. They play in leagues and come to tournaments and make ROMs. Big win!
  2. People leave here to go play on their couch. Boo.
  3. People who would never play here enjoy NHL94 on their couch and their big TV. Makes no difference to us.
  4. EA's lawyers destroy us or hijack our sites and/or tournaments for infringing on a property they are now actively using.

So we hope the balance of 1 and 2 is in our favour and that 4 doesn't happen.

Exactly why I am here today. Thanks for this awesome site. Quick question why is there not as much love for the Sega CD version? I'm curious since it seems to be the deinfintive version of NHL '94. I did a search but I didn't see roster updates as much as I've seen with the Genesis and SNES ROMS. Just curious. 

  • Like 1
  • Love 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Was hoping they would have actually updated the game to include fighting and some new modes, like a season mode, trading/free agency, etc., but I don't want to set myself up for disappointment.

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, lilacsnarl said:

Exactly why I am here today. Thanks for this awesome site. Quick question why is there not as much love for the Sega CD version? I'm curious since it seems to be the deinfintive version of NHL '94. I did a search but I didn't see roster updates as much as I've seen with the Genesis and SNES ROMS. Just curious. 

I'm not sure! Even I've never tried the SegaCD version and I've been here almost 15 years. Few people had the SegaCD, so there's not much attachment to it, and for those whose main interest is playing online, there's no reason to play the CD version when everyone else is already playing the Genesis version. I know @Mr. T was trying to update the sounds on the CD version a few months ago, so some people are interested in it.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, lilacsnarl said:

Exactly why I am here today. Thanks for this awesome site. Quick question why is there not as much love for the Sega CD version? I'm curious since it seems to be the deinfintive version of NHL '94. I did a search but I didn't see roster updates as much as I've seen with the Genesis and SNES ROMS. Just curious. 

My best guess is that I think Sega CD emulation wasn't very far along when this site and its leagues got going back in 2005-6.  Sega CD games are also hundreds of megabytes, which isn't that big a deal these days but was back then.  Lastly, out of Genesis, SNES, and Sega CD, Sega CD had by far the lowest ownership.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Sega Genesis is still the best version. The extra video graphics and sounds on the Sega CD don't really make the gameplay any better.  Unfortunately the game slows down/lags for a split second, usually on a change of possession.   Happens a lot and it's awful. Second, it seems to me that EA reduced the effect of speed in this game -- fast guys don't have as big of a burst, breakaway speed. In addition, the CD reader (on the physical console) make some noises when loading a new crowd noise which is annoying. I was pretty disappointed in the CD version, I thought it would be Genesis with cooler sounds, but it's not as smooth!

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
30 minutes ago, kingraph said:

Sega Genesis is still the best version. The extra video graphics and sounds on the Sega CD don't really make the gameplay any better.  Unfortunately the game slows down/lags for a split second, usually on a change of possession.   Happens a lot and it's awful. Second, it seems to me that EA reduced the effect of speed in this game -- fast guys don't have as big of a burst, breakaway speed. In addition, the CD reader (on the physical console) make some noises when loading a new crowd noise which is annoying. I was pretty disappointed in the CD version, I thought it would be Genesis with cooler sounds, but it's not as smooth!

Hmm I never realized they changed the behavior of the players... makes everything else moot  :(

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, lilacsnarl said:

Hmm I never realized they changed the behavior of the players... makes everything else moot  :(

That was my impression when I played, but I can't confirm that for sure.  It'd be interesting to hear if others have the same experience.  

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
21 hours ago, Ziggy Stardust said:

Was hoping they would have actually updated the game to include fighting and some new modes, like a season mode, trading/free agency, etc., but I don't want to set myself up for disappointment.

same.

Link to post
Share on other sites
23 hours ago, Ziggy Stardust said:

Was hoping they would have actually updated the game to include fighting and some new modes, like a season mode, trading/free agency, etc., but I don't want to set myself up for disappointment.

They aren't doing anything besides updating rosters, unis and logos. Which is great for me bc now I have to work 100 hour weeks for the next 10 years so I can afford to remake it.

Thanks EA.

Link to post
Share on other sites

https://www.polygon.com/2020/10/12/21509885/nhl-94-rewind-pre-order-release-date-ps4-xbox-one

"There’s no online multiplayer in NHL ’94 Rewind, just local multiplayer, Agostini said. Aside from the updated players and additional teams, there are no extra features. This may be why it’s being offered as a pre-order incentive as opposed to a stand-alone product."

Do these idiots not realize there's a global pandemic going on right now, and you can't/shouldn't have other people in your place of living?

I am also an idiot, as I already pre-ordered 21 thinking the 94 rewind HAD to have some online capability due to the times we live in, but no, apparently EA wants us all to invite whoever to our house to play video games and get sick, cool.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Yes. The lack of online play is extremely disappointing. I get they have to come up with new ideas to sell the game every year. But adding in nhl’94 rewind is targeting gamers 30,40,50 year olds. We want to play this against the people we played the game against 27 years ago but we can’t because they live too far away. 

  • Like 3
  • Love 2
Link to post
Share on other sites

Only thing that can help me at this very moment is a triple post and super unhealthy food from Wendy’s.

Wake me when 2020 is over if Trump wins again don’t even bother.

Link to post
Share on other sites

the least we can do is copy it and distribute it illegally ...to f**k them and scum corporation ..... destroy the rich .. feed the poor ....or maybe we can bail out the airlines so the rich can travel while all of us get fucked in a perpetual lockdown

Edited by kgman
  • Love 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
47 minutes ago, clockwise said:

Only thing that can help me at this very moment is a triple post and super unhealthy food from Wendy’s.

Wake me when 2020 is over if Trump wins again don’t even bother.

hey man, at least you have Wendy's... love that stuff. Not a bad item on their menu in my opinion.

Link to post
Share on other sites
48 minutes ago, 77 said:

"Since NHL '94 Rewind is exactly as you found it from the 1990s, that also means that there is no online multiplayer function. EA said it discussed the notion at length, but it was decided to make the game a "true couch experience," just like the original. But the door isn't closed if fans truly clamor for it. "If people want to play for longer durations of time and start to ask for more features to be added, such as online multiplayer, then I think we can have those conversations as well," said Sean Ramjagsingh, EA NHL producer."

 

Maybe next year?

Link to post
Share on other sites

why doesnt someone from this site get a job at EA?

thats the only way things will get done right

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, 77 said:

why doesnt someone from this site get a job at EA?

thats the only way things will get done right

Kind of a big ask, don't you think?

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, smozoma said:

"Since NHL '94 Rewind is exactly as you found it from the 1990s, that also means that there is no online multiplayer function. EA said it discussed the notion at length, but it was decided to make the game a "true couch experience," just like the original. But the door isn't closed if fans truly clamor for it. "If people want to play for longer durations of time and start to ask for more features to be added, such as online multiplayer, then I think we can have those conversations as well," said Sean Ramjagsingh, EA NHL producer."

 

Maybe next year?

What they should do is revamp the NHL Arcade they released on the PS3/Xbox and make it with actual nhl teams instead of the mix and match idea they originally had. That game was fun and it was a lot like NBA Jam but 3 on 3 hockey.
It would be cool to have a team of 6-7 players plus a goalie for each team. Anyone else play that?

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

DO NOT GIVE EA YOUR MONEY!!!   BOYCOTT THEM!!!

 

wait til you see the eye and stick patch and weight bug fix

Edited by 77
  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
59 minutes ago, 77 said:

DO NOT GIVE EA YOUR MONEY!!!   BOYCOTT THEM!!!

 

wait til you see the eye and stick patch and weight bug fix

I believe the weight bug fix is included, let's see how they handled that.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Just to speak up because I thought I was crazy- I did have that NHL '94 on PS2- but since my PS2 has died and all my games sold, I can't pull it out again.  IIRC, it was updated rosters in what appeared to be the same game as '94 (minus some weird logos for Carolina?)  I'm glad this is more like that, than the "NHL '94 mode" a few years back.

But seriously, did they add fighting back in?

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.