NHL'94 Forums

HOW TO: Bring Back the Green Guy In Stands (Fix severed leg)

kingraph

One thing that has always bothered me, is that there is a severed leg in the stands in the scoreboard screen.  Second row from the bottom on the left:

nhl94_000.png

leg_wtf.png

It turns out that this appendage belongs to a guy wearing a green shirt, who was in the stands in the '92 version of the game.  Check him out right here!

NHL92_expand2_005.png

asfds.png

So this was converted to the empty chair/weird leg in NHLPA93 and kept in '94, but it turns out that the actual graphic tiles are still in the game!  So in order to correct this, all you have to do is remap two tiles:

BDEAE: Change from 0063 to 206A
BDEEE: Change from 006E to 2074

And voila!  Our friend in the green shirt returns!

nhl94_leg_000.png

• Thanks 3
  • Haha 3

I am so glad to see the Green shirt guy finally reunited with his long lost leg. But now he's the only fan without a mirrored twin on the right side of the scoreboard! What happened to his reflection - every other fan looks in the mirror and sees themselves, but the green shirt guy looks in the mirror and all he sees an empty seat.

And another thing - the Green shirt guy only has 1 leg, while the guy in the orange shirt sitting next to him has what looks like 3 legs!! Why does the orange shirt guy get to hog all the legs. Who needs 3 legs anyway, surely the orange shirt guy could spare a leg and give one of his 3 legs to the Green shirt guy!

• Haha 2

8 hours ago, Brodeur30 said:

I am so glad to see the Green shirt guy finally reunited with his long lost leg. But now he's the only fan without a mirrored twin on the right side of the scoreboard! What happened to his reflection - every other fan looks in the mirror and sees themselves, but the green shirt guy looks in the mirror and all he sees an empty seat.

And another thing - the Green shirt guy only has 1 leg, while the guy in the orange shirt sitting next to him has what looks like 3 legs!! Why does the orange shirt guy get to hog all the legs. Who needs 3 legs anyway, surely the orange shirt guy could spare a leg and give one of his 3 legs to the Green shirt guy!

I agree, the 3 legged orange guy can use a little touching up on the sprite!  Not sure if this is some goofy shared/mirror tile thing happening, or if it's just sloppy drawing.  I haven't looked into that, but maybe will because that is also now bothering me, lol.

One more interesting note, when you remove the menu, you can see the rest of the crowd sprites.  I don't believe these are shared with the in-game crowd sprite tiles, so you never see the man in yellow, or that little kid on the edge of the seat in the middle aisle.  Meaning, these tiles are never seen in game and can probably be re-used if anyone ever wanted to create a new scoreboard graphic.  Or more visible crowd sprites.  I don't think the menu ever goes away?

behind the menu.png

I THINK, the reason they removed the green guy on the left is because his arm is cutoff by the stairs.  You can see him fully in the other (hidden) sprites.  So instead of re-drawing one sprite for one guy, they probably just cut him out and never noticed the severed leg.  I guess you can also fix the severed leg with the correct empty seat tile on the right if the arm bothers you.  :lol:

• Haha 2

9 hours ago, Brodeur30 said:

every other fan looks in the mirror and sees themselves, but the green shirt guy looks in the mirror and all he sees an empty seat.

:horror: welcome to the NHL94 Twilight Zone

• Haha 1