NHL'94 Forums

Skate the Cup

CoachMac

In my Original 6 roms, I have been able to create a 4 team playoff bracket by blanking out the other 12 playoff spots.

I am happy with everything about it except that I would like the players to skate the Cup after winning the second playoff round.

Is this possible?

Not the most exciting way, but just a loophole I thought might work:

• Set up first round as A vs A, A vs A, B vs B, B vs B, C vs C, C vs C, D vs D, and D vs D
  • Program the 0-second periods/instant overtime hack in as an option
  • Player plays the OT, even if they lose they'll stay in because the game will recognize their selected team and keep them
  • Real games would start in Round 3, with A vs B and C vs D, where player would then be able to play with real periods

I haven't tested it since it was just an idea off the dome, but it seems like it might work.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, seamor said:

Not the most exciting way, but just a loophole I thought might work:

• Set up first round as A vs A, A vs A, B vs B, B vs B, C vs C, C vs C, D vs D, and D vs D
  • Program the 0-second periods/instant overtime hack in as an option
  • Player plays the OT, even if they lose they'll stay in because the game will recognize their selected team and keep them
  • Real games would start in Round 3, with A vs B and C vs D, where player would then be able to play with real periods

I haven't tested it since it was just an idea off the dome, but it seems like it might work.

I set up first and second round as you suggested.
When set up like this you are always the Home Team.
I went with 15 second periods, with the goalie pulled and scored an own goal in each game.
I had to play 7 games in each round so it was a little time consuming.
I got what I wanted which was 4 team playoff bracket with the Cup skated at the end.
As an added bonus the team I was controlling had no stats when you got to the real games in round 3.

2 hours ago, CoachMac said:

I set up first and second round as you suggested.
When set up like this you are always the Home Team.
I went with 15 second periods, with the goalie pulled and scored an own goal in each game.
I had to play 7 games in each round so it was a little time consuming.
I got what I wanted which was 4 team playoff bracket with the Cup skated at the end.
As an added bonus the team I was controlling had no stats when you got to the real games in round 3.

Awesome! It's not the most efficient, but if it works, it works. If your ROMs can somehow get even more immersive, I am certainly all for it.