NHL'94 Forums

Giving this a go ASAP. Curious as to some of the rosters, considering the problems CoVid has caused sone of our Leagues over here...

Ok, utterly loving this. Played a few games as the Devils against Sheffield and Belfast, dominating in both. Noticed a few minor errors in rosters (say, #4 for the Devils being Reddick instead of Louis), but nothing I can't tweak myself, and nothing inexcusable considering you wont be familiar with the teams! Thank you.

Edited by MonkeyHead
Post-play.
  • Love 1

Seriously, for the sake of me wanting to shuffle a few lines around and adjust few positions its not worth anyone's trouble other than my own.

Edit: OK, so I tried opening the ROM in NOSE to make a few tweaks, which failed with 2 different errors. How do you edit the 95 ROM?

Edited by MonkeyHead

5 hours ago, MonkeyHead said:

Seriously, for the sake of me wanting to shuffle a few lines around and adjust few positions its not worth anyone's trouble other than my own.

Edit: OK, so I tried opening the ROM in NOSE to make a few tweaks, which failed with 2 different errors. How do you edit the 95 ROM?

Here is the Nose I use, since I updated the .ini file.

Just download this and all will be good to open. 

nose1.2b-2018.zip

Nothing leaps out at me as needing fixing - thanks!

Also, got NOSE working with the ROM. Not sure what was wrong, but now I can edit the Devils lines until my heart is content. :)

Though, now having edited lines, I have more questions... Strangely, the lines I built are not preserved accurately within the ROM. My SC1 has the wing and centre switched. Same for SC2 and CHK, with one of my D pairing in each swapped. My PP and PK lines are all over the place. Any ideas?

EDIT: solved this issue by finding and deleting a .bin file my emulator created and hid away.

Oh, also, netminder handedness is reversed. NOSE describes it as the catcher hand, but it actually describes the in game stick hand - noticed that Cardiff netminder Bowns is a left handed catch, but in game was right handed. Changing him from a leftie to a rightie in NOSE gave him a right handed stick and left handed catcher.

Edited by MonkeyHead

Thats good, to hear @MonkeyHead!!! I was playing around with mine today and didnt see anything that jumped out. However, now when you mentioned the file being hidden, that I normally delete all the save files or action files to remove any save progressed with a specific rom. Also, if you like your help would be great moving forward for those leagues if you are familiar with them. Im planning out a CHL 22 rom over the next few weeks to get the leg work going. Or if you have some suggestions on what we could do to improve the experience

Well, the biggest issue there is that there isn't going to be a CHL this year thanks to CoVid! Maybe holding off a season until one runs again so you know what teams to include... Not all the league's that supply teams are running this year either, with lots of players out on loan from shut down leagues into ones actually running - so rosters will be a bit unusual for 12 months! FWIW I do have familiarity with some of the CHL leagues (detailed knowledge of EIHL, decent knowledge of Scandinavian and Austrian teams, passing familiarity with German and Swiss teams), so might be able to offer some help there...

Ooh, also noticed an NHL95 quirk, possibly. Playing a full season, and checked out the individual leaders stats. A player I know not to be a netminder is top of the GAA list after 3 games played with 0.00. No idea how he got there! Didn't stay there long though - 2 more rounds of fixtures and he vanished.

Edited by MonkeyHead

Been playing around in NOSE a bit more, and noticed a few things while tweaking some stats (boosting some scandi and German teams, nerfing Stavenger, swapping all goalie handedness to make them correct in game, deleting a few duplicated players).

2 teams had odd data. One, Minsk I think, had all stats set to max, and sequential numbering. A squad full of 120 rated players was not fun to play against. Not knowing the team, I basically randomised the player numbers, and built them a squad similar to Neman, the other team from Belarus.

The other was Zug, who had player numbers\weights set, but all players rated at 96. I edited them into a bit of a bruiser team, as the other swiss teams are more skill based.

That was set originally for the NHL rom (Legends and Prospects). I appreciate the detail that I’ll have updated and better aligned with the correct ratings on my revised roms. 

I’ll be doing all the rooms revised in the coming weeks to give everyone an updated roster and ratings. In addition, I’ll be asking everyone what they want to see in each rom for the update. New Jersey’s, new teams, different divisional layout, etc.

I'm surprised I haven't seen this mentioned yet but there seems to be an issue with Adler Mannheim. The team logo on menus is glitched and the game freezes if it tries to show David Wolf's portrait. Is this a known side effect of there being so many more teams, like with the Winnipeg Freeze Bug in the expanded 94?

26 minutes ago, DeterminedApathy said:

I'm surprised I haven't seen this mentioned yet but there seems to be an issue with Adler Mannheim. The team logo on menus is glitched and the game freezes if it tries to show David Wolf's portrait. Is this a known side effect of there being so many more teams, like with the Winnipeg Freeze Bug in the expanded 94?

I found the issue that was going on. When I was editing the color and coloring an area, I may have colored into the palette code and caused this issue. It is only impacted on Adler. Ill see if I can fix it and re-upload the rom cleaned up.

Thank you for bringing this up.

Surprised I hadn't noticed that yet either. Possibly as in my season playthough I hadn't come across them yet. I have noticed a tiny graphical issue with Berlin EB, where a black line from the logo appears as white (on a white background), but it is no minor and momentary you have to be really looking (or playing them several times early in the season) to spot it.

Edited by MonkeyHead