NHL'94 Forums

NHL 93 - Win Cup w/ ONLY Goalies Scoring

Champ Weit

I have another challenge for you Sega NHL diehards!  Win the Stanley Cup and ONLY score goals with your goaltenders in NHLPA 93.

20 minute periods with line changes OFF and penalties ON.  I’ve found it easiest to accomplish this playing as Chicago with a 1st round matchup against Tampa Bay.

I’ll give you some hints - you’re going to have to get a LOT of penalties on the face offs and by dumping the puck into the corner of the offensive zone and checking the opposing goaltender.  Don’t get too aggressive by sending two players in on the forecheck or the puck ends up in YOUR net and the delayed penalty gets wiped off the board, though!  Avoid coinciding penalties also whenever possible (unless you’re goaded into a fight and HAVE to cave someone’s face in).  The instigator penalties ARE a nice bonus!!

You have to load up your penalty box so your backup goalies are forced to join the game as regular skaters.  See how many goals you can score with LeBlanc, Hasek and Waite (or Belfour  if you swap them).

Another hint?  Before the game create a separate game with line changes ON so you can pre-edit your lines and save it to stack your most aggressive skaters (Grimson, Smith, Roenick and Marchment to name a few).  You want your most aggressive players playing the MOST minutes (unless it’s Buskas - he tends to be a liability on the ice)...

One of the MOST frustrating parts is when you get two minors called before a stoppage in play sometimes you lose a skater on the ensuing face off.  As soon as you force the next whistle (without getting called for another penalty, that is) you’ll get your third skater back on the ice.

Let me know if you’re able to accomplish THIS!  Every once in a while I lose a series (I ALWAYS play a best-of-seven).  It’s super tough!

I’ve said it before - I NEVER alter the game code.  I think that’s cheating!

Thanks!

Champ

Yes kingraph, that is the challenge!  Your goalies actually fill in as defensemen and the defensemen slot into the vacant forward positions.  One work around is setting your lineup to the specific defensemen that are temporarily out of the box - then your goalie becomes your center.  Let me know how you do!

2 hours ago, Champ Weit said:

Yes kingraph, that is the challenge!  Your goalies actually fill in as defensemen and the defensemen slot into the vacant forward positions.  One work around is setting your lineup to the specific defensemen that are temporarily out of the box - then your goalie becomes your center.  Let me know how you do!

Can you show us a screenshot of you doing this?

I don’t have a screenshot, sorry!  Currently I don’t even have a Genesis set up to be able to play - whaaat?!  
It’s annoying that the Player Stats page doesn’t even register/show the goals that your goalies score.  When your goalies register a SOG that’s saved it shows as a save in their OWN stats.  Goals scored by your goalies show as goals allowed by them.

You can look at the Scoring Summary at the end of the game - that’s the only real proof (unless you record the game).  The worst part?  Your goalies can all have hat tricks and the Pro Set 3 stars of the game show them NO LOVE - ludicrous!!

This is how ridiculous I am - I even reset the game when the opposing team scores an “own goal.”  It happens pretty often because the opposing goalie is always headed to the bench for an extra attacker and a puck will bounce off someone and trickle in...

I’ll share another secret - if nearly all of your skaters are in the penalty box (including a goalie or two) you can insert one of your penalized goalies between the pipes for a moment and it springs them out of the box!  It works with defensemen as well.

Let me know if you have any luck!  Playing Chicago against Tampa Bay is your best bet, and you’ll get some extra penalties when you use the B button to check opposing players as they’re entering your defensive zone near the blue line by causing period-ending injuries.  Remember, stack your lineup with the MOST aggressive players!!

Forcing face offs is a good thing, that’s why I leave penalties ON, including offsides - more chances to use the C button to get a quick penalty off the face off.  Whistles also allow your most aggressive players who have recently had their penalties expire back onto the ice.  At the same time, if you have a goalie on the ice as a skater and there’s a stoppage in play you’ll lose one (or more) of your few “allowed” scorers when the forwards and defensemen come out of the box to replace them...

Also, if the opposing team has a delayed penalty against them, give up the puck as quickly as you can.  You DON’T want to get coinciding penalties!!  If you’re lucky you’ll be able to get two penalties every so often on a shift.  Rack up those PIMs!

I don’t know about witchcraft PenguinFan1985, but believe me when I tell you winning Lord Stanley’s Cup by ONLY scoring goals with your goalies is tough to do!  

To give you an idea about how much I’ve been playing these Sega NHL games, I once beat Ottawa 210-0 playing as ASW with penalties, line changes and offsides ON in NHLPA 93.  No screen shot of that one either, unfortunately...

Does anyone know what the record is for goals scored in a game in NHLPA 93 and/or NHL 94?  Sega Genesis WITHOUT changing the game code!!

In a pinch towards the end of the game, don't hesitate to pull your goaltender for the extra attacker.  Sometimes even if there are available defensemen and forwards a reserve goalie (typically LeBlanc) will jump over the boards as a skater for you!

19 hours ago, Champ Weit said:

Does anyone know what the record is for goals scored in a game in NHLPA 93 and/or NHL 94?  Sega Genesis WITHOUT changing the game code!!

Records are done in the 10 minute period setting, and it's biggest blowout (net difference between goals scored and given up).  Records, and videos, can be found on the Twin Galaxies website.    

Documented list is here on the forums: https://forum.nhl94.com/index.php?/topic/12639-nhl94-world-record/&do=findComment&comment=180043

For NHL'94, the recent record is 104 (110-6).

For NHLPA'93, it's 87.  

On 10/22/2020 at 9:45 PM, Champ Weit said:

To give you an idea about how much I’ve been playing these Sega NHL games, I once beat Ottawa 210-0 playing as ASW with penalties, line changes and offsides ON in NHLPA 93.  No screen shot of that one either, unfortunately...

Since you bring up changing the game code.. The official records require you to play with original hardware.

210-0 is huge. that's 105 in 10-minute periods so if you can replicate that on video on real hardware (including showing the system being turned on), that '93 record is yours!

Hi smozoma!

I’ve only ever played any of the NHL games on my Sega Genesis with a CRT television.  I just unloaded the CRT, so I’ll have to figure out how to play on a flat screen.  We’re working on creating a work-from-home office for myself, but it’s going to HAVE to include some room for my Sega and original NES 4-bit!!  Besides my Atari 2600 from YEARS ago that I no longer have, those are the only gaming systems I’ve ever had!

I would probably have to figure out how to record it, though.  I’m all about doing things within rules and guidelines, especially if I’m trying to be the world’s best and all.  Maybe the stars were aligned or I got out on the correct side of the bed when I torched Ottawa to the tune of 210 times that one time?!  Do the game parameters matter at all?  Offsides/penalties on or off, line changes and/or anything like that?  It actually might have been EASIER to score 210 goals because Ottawa would have to rotate their 2nd (and sometimes 3rd) line into the game.  If Roenick didn’t drop the gloves 4 or 5 times (I can’t remember) maybe the total would’ve been even higher - I’ll never know...

What’s the current “verifiable” record for 20 minute periods?  One of these days I’ll be happy to try my best to destroy it.

I always prefer to play 20 minute periods.  Makes it harder in that sense!  In my opinion, it’s easier to get on a hot streak during a shorter game.

In kingraph’s post I see above, it looks like records are only kept for games with 10 minute periods?  Any particular reason?

Thanks!!

1 hour ago, Champ Weit said:

Hi smozoma!

I’ve only ever played any of the NHL games on my Sega Genesis with a CRT television.  I just unloaded the CRT, so I’ll have to figure out how to play on a flat screen.  We’re working on creating a work-from-home office for myself, but it’s going to HAVE to include some room for my Sega and original NES 4-bit!!  Besides my Atari 2600 from YEARS ago that I no longer have, those are the only gaming systems I’ve ever had!

I would probably have to figure out how to record it, though.  I’m all about doing things within rules and guidelines, especially if I’m trying to be the world’s best and all.  Maybe the stars were aligned or I got out on the correct side of the bed when I torched Ottawa to the tune of 210 times that one time?!  Do the game parameters matter at all?  Offsides/penalties on or off, line changes and/or anything like that?  It actually might have been EASIER to score 210 goals because Ottawa would have to rotate their 2nd (and sometimes 3rd) line into the game.  If Roenick didn’t drop the gloves 4 or 5 times (I can’t remember) maybe the total would’ve been even higher - I’ll never know...

What’s the current “verifiable” record for 20 minute periods?  One of these days I’ll be happy to try my best to destroy it.

I always prefer to play 20 minute periods.  Makes it harder in that sense!  In my opinion, it’s easier to get on a hot streak during a shorter game.

In kingraph’s post I see above, it looks like records are only kept for games with 10 minute periods?  Any particular reason?

Thanks!!

Hi!

For whatever reason the records on twingalaxies are based on 10 minute periods. It's quite a slog, anyway; 20 minutes would be even more of a marathon. So the record in '93 is an 87-goal differential. I suppose there's nothing stopping anyone from creating a new category (personally I would like to make a "mirror match" category so it's not All stars vs ottawa/anaheim)

The parameters are: real hardware, 10-minute periods, and that's it! You can have line changes on or of, penalties on or off, etc.

Just do'nt use the 2nd controller to pull the computer's goalie :D

For using a flat-screen TV: As long as you enable "game mode" or equivalent for the input (coax or composite/AV), you should be fine. You can get special hardware converters to go into the HDMI, but it's not necessary.

To record the video, you can use your phone or camera, then upload the file to youtube.

Thanks for the details!  Are the challenges always total goal differential?  I want to know if anyone can match my “Perfect Game” results (100 goals/game, 10 points/player AND a shutout w/ 20 minute periods) and/or individual player records, or the ULTIMATE CHALLENGE - winning the Stanley Cup in NHLPA 93 but you’re ONLY allowed to score with your goaltenders.  For a while I was working on scoring 100 goals/game with specific individual players in NHL 94 also.  Naturally, 20 minute periods.  I’ve completed probably close to 40% of the ENTIRE player database, and most of those players have probably never even come close to scoring 100 goals in their entire playing career!  I have quite a few players remaining that have the pedigree to do it with ease, but now there isn’t enough time in the day or week with building my own business and having a young family.

The Sega had to get pushed aside (at least temporarily) until my oldest can suit up and be my left winger!!!

I miss playing, but nothing can replace the time spent with family!!  I’m pretty confident I can “make the siren wail tonight” better than just about anyone!!  I’m more interested in unique and interesting challenges than just running up the score (which, for the record, I’m fully capable of doing)!!

Thanks Evan for creating this forum!  Shame on me for not being on here for the last 25+ years I’ve been playing these games!  Take care!

@Champ Weit,  you should invest some time learning to play online, if you can.  I, and a lot of others, are always looking for guys who think they are the best to play.  You may very well be good, but it's usually a humbling experience playing against some of these top guys.  I think if you can keep within 5 goals vs me, @Uncle Seth, @angryjay93, or any top player, that is a much greater challenge than scoring 100 goals vs the CPU.  

While I'm sure scoring with only goalies is a challenge, it doesn't sound particularly interesting or something I want to spend time on.  Especially '93, as the atrocious auto goalies make it quite a snoozefest.  

I will readily admit I have practically NO experience playing head-to-head at all, ESPECIALLY against the best players in the world like you guys!  I wouldn’t be surprised if I got slaughtered against any of you, because playing against live opponents is a whole heck of a lot harder than the CPU for sure!!  Head-to-head hasn’t been what I’ve been playing to keep the game interesting and fun for me.  I am severely lacking in that aspect.  A very long time ago all my friends stopped playing me - go figure!?

I want you guys to try accomplishing the “Perfect Game” with all the teams (or at LEAST a few times) like I have.  I think that’s a solid challenge, especially since you need to get your goalies and your 4th (and 5th liners, technically, considering there are usually 25 players per roster) 10 points each.  In my opinion, it’s a heck of a lot harder than you may think, especially since you have to average 2.5 points per goal...

By far the hardest part with my Stanley Cup Challenge is the fact that you have to CONTINUALLY keep the parade to the penalty box going while trying desperately to keep the puck out of your own net.  Playing a vast majority of the game 3-on-5 isn’t overly difficult by any stretch, it’s keeping your goals against low enough for when you finally get your goalies on the ice as skaters.  Yes, you have to take FULL advantage of the “atrocious auto goalies” when you can, because you’re only going to get so many chances to go on the offensive attack!

I’ll be happy to figure out how to start playing online with you guys down the road!  I want to make one simple request - DON’T take it easy on me!!  If I lose by 30 I’ll own it.  In the meantime, work on completing a couple Perfect Games and/or at least attempt my Stanley Cup Challenge.  I’ve already provided quite a few tips and tricks to make it happen!!

Take care!

Champ

• Like 1