NHL'94 Forums

King of 94 - V Online tournament

halifax

EDE8E4DC-2314-429E-9D94-A5304A9203D7.png

You can now register for the 5th nhl’94 world championship tournament, the King of 94! Sign up for SNES (Dec 5-6) or Sega (Dec 12-13). This is year’s tournament will be played online. There’s also a 2v2 bracket! Tag a buddy! You can register here-> https://bit.ly/2UoKkJq

Welcome to the World’s Greatest NHL’94 Tournament!

Register now for Sega Genesis or Super Nintendo for your chance to win trophies/prizes, and the title of King of ‘94! 

Due to Covid19, this year's tournament will be played online!

Please read below for additional details about registering, and check out the detailed tournament rules on our website: http://www.kingof94.ca

How do I get set up for online play?

You can follow the instructions here -> http://nhl94online.com/html/getting-started.php

What is the schedule?

1. SNES 1 V 1 Round Robin and First two rounds of the playoff bracket - Saturday, Dec.5 - 11 AM - 5 PM EST,

Remaining Rounds, Sunday, Dec. 6. 11 AM - 5 PM EST

2. SNES 2 V 2 Bracket Play - Saturday, Dec.5 - 5 PM - 9 PM EST

Sunday, Dec. 6, 5 PM - 9 PM EST (If necessary)

3. SEGA 1 V 1 Round Robin and first two round of the bracket - Saturday, Dec.12 - 11 AM - 5 PM EST,

Remaining Rounds, Sunday, Dec. 13. 11 AM - 5 PM EST

4. SEGA 2 V 2 Bracket Play - Saturday, Dec.12 - 5 PM - 9 PM EST

Sunday, Dec. 13, 5 PM - 9 PM EST (If necessary)

What is the 2 v 2 tournament?

If you registered for the 1 v 1 tournament then you can also compete in the 2 v 2 tournament. The 2 v 2 tournament is played using an edited rom with only two skaters aside. Think "NBA JAM" style of play. You pick your teammate and you play against two other players. If you don't have a teammate and still want to participate, we'll help you find someone to play with. The 2 V 2 tournament will be double-elimination bracket format. More details to come based on the number of participants.

What is the 1 V 1 tournament format?

The 1 V 1 tournament will be a round-robin followed by a bracket tournament. You are guaranteed at least 6 games. Qualifiers will compete in the King of 94 bracket. The remaining players will compete in a consolation bracket. More details to come based on the number of participants.

Can I register for both SNES and Genesis?

Yes, of course!

What are the rules?

http://www.kingof94.ca/rules.html

Any questions can be sent to:

nhl94king@gmail.com

In what ways can I contact you?

We'd love to hear from you.

https%3A%2F%2Fcdn.evbuc.com%2Fimages%2F1

• Love 1
  • Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

You can now register for the 5th nhl’94 world championship tournament, the King of 94! Sign up for SNES (Dec 5-6) or Sega (Dec 12-13). This is year’s tournament will be played online. There’s also a 2v2 bracket! Tag a buddy! You can register here-> https://bit.ly/2UoKkJq

On 10/25/2020 at 4:05 PM, LaTormenta said:

There's not a cat's chance in hell of me entering this, as I would get my ass handed to me(!), but I'd be keen to watch any live streams if it ends up being on Twitch.

There will be a Duke of 94 "consolation" bracket for those that don't move on from the round robin in case you change your mind. Its $20 CAD. which is probably like Two pounds. :)

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/13/2020 at 9:19 PM, halifax said:

There will be a Duke of 94 "consolation" bracket for those that don't move on from the round robin in case you change your mind. Its $20 CAD. which is probably like Two pounds. :)

@halifax - Apologies for the tardy response.  I have only just seen this, having just logged on for the first time in a few weeks.  For some reason, I have not been receiving email notifications (but that is an issue with my secondary account rather than this place).

I might have missed this somewhere, as I have been all over the place recently, but will this be available for online viewing?  I wouldn't mind throwing a few bucks the way of the tournament in any case if it helps towards the running of it, especially given how much I get out of the site for free. 

Next year, I plan to play a lot of online games, as by that point I will have (hopefully) mastered the art of manual goaltending and will (hopefully) not embarrass myself in round one by getting beaten by 30!

And yeah, it's about the price of a couple of pints in Manchester at the moment, so I cannot complain.  Although, post-Brexit, I will probably have to resort to foraging in the woods for food and drink!

1 hour ago, LaTormenta said:

Next year, I plan to play a lot of online games, as by that point I will have (hopefully) mastered the art of manual goaltending 

Might be the hardest thing to master, right next to pass shots. Maybe in a few years if you play consistently. 

Much as I'd like to play, I tore my rotator cuff and it's really painful to do anything with my right hand.

2 hours ago, clockwise said:

Might be the hardest thing to master, right next to pass shots. Maybe in a few years if you play consistently. 

Much as I'd like to play, I tore my rotator cuff and it's really painful to do anything with my right hand.

Okay, "mastered" might be the wrong word, rather "try not to be a complete pixelated sieve"!

And the injury sounds grim.  Hope you manage to get some R&R soon.

5 hours ago, LaTormenta said:

@halifax - Apologies for the tardy response.  I have only just seen this, having just logged on for the first time in a few weeks.  For some reason, I have not been receiving email notifications (but that is an issue with my secondary account rather than this place).

I might have missed this somewhere, as I have been all over the place recently, but will this be available for online viewing?  I wouldn't mind throwing a few bucks the way of the tournament in any case if it helps towards the running of it, especially given how much I get out of the site for free. 

Next year, I plan to play a lot of online games, as by that point I will have (hopefully) mastered the art of manual goaltending and will (hopefully) not embarrass myself in round one by getting beaten by 30!

And yeah, it's about the price of a couple of pints in Manchester at the moment, so I cannot complain.  Although, post-Brexit, I will probably have to resort to foraging in the woods for food and drink!

You'll get to play at least 8 games, against various people. So I wouldn't worry about not being practiced up or losing in the first round. Only a few guys have a shot at winning the event, but we still get a few dozen players on each system, because it's fun either way.

As for the money, we don't actually keep it, it goes to prizes(trophies this year, which we'll need to ship)

23 hours ago, LaTormenta said:

Appreciate the offer bud but I’ll pass. Tournaments  I help organize, break even or incur a net loss from a budget perspective. And I’m happy to cover those “losses” from my own pocket because this a hobby for me. Organizing, playing and commentating is a ton of fun for this event.  

looking forward to having you online bud!

• 3 weeks later...

Apologies if there is another thread for this but I just wanted to say a huge thanks to @halifax, @kingraph, @smozoma and @danTML7 for all of your hard work during the two weekends of the Ko94 V tournament. 

I suspect that I have probably missed some people here (whether visible or working behind the scenes) but you were the ones that, well, entertained me (and annoyed the hell out of my better half as I hogged the TV...) whilst watching a load of people I have never met play an almost 30 year old game on Twitch.  What a time to be alive!

I get the sense that the whole thing was a logistical nightmare for obvious reasons, so fair play for managing to get everything running (almost entirely) smoothly.  Next year, I will throw my hat into the ring, even if it ends up being more of a cameo than anything else.  Mercifully, I will get summarily binned during the round robin, so will not have to suffer the indignity of the commentators laughing their asses off at me!!!  (Not that you would do such a thing...)

Thanks again!

• Thanks 1
  • Like 2