NHL'94 Forums

NHL94 2021 ROM by The Sauce

Sauce

The V1 2021 season ROM fails to load on my Project Lunar-modded Sega Genesis Mini (regardless of whether I launch it with the M2engage, Genesis Plus GX, or PicoDrive emulators). I didn’t have this issue with the Way Too Early Edition or with last season’s ROMs.

10 hours ago, Ezxemaps said:

The V1 2021 season ROM fails to load on my Project Lunar-modded Sega Genesis Mini (regardless of whether I launch it with the M2engage, Genesis Plus GX, or PicoDrive emulators). I didn’t have this issue with the Way Too Early Edition or with last season’s ROMs.

First off, thanks for downloading it!

Second, sorry to hear the news.

I played three games with it, last night, with no problems.  It is also the same version/format as the ones that you mentioned above.  Plus, we're not seeing anyone else report that they can't play/load it either.  The only version, that I posted, with a noticable difference vs the others was the recent "Preseason Version" (now removed).  It was posted after the "Way Too Early" rom.  That one, had the freeze bug fixed but unfortunately, negatively impacted player cards and playoff mode.  But, you didn't meniton that one above so unfortunately, I believe that the issue is with your system or something that you are or aren't doing.  It's just a process of elimination theory.

Again, sorry that you are having problems.  Unfortunately, I don't use or know about Project Lunar-modded Sega Genesis Mini so I can't troubleshoot for you.  If someone else does, perhaps they can private message you to help.  

Edited by Sauce

Thank you for doing this!  So happy to be able to play NHL 94 with current rosters :)

Edit: The game is unfortunately freezing for me when I try to play an exhibition game.  I had no issues with the two previous ROMs.  I'm using Retroarch and the Genesis Plus GX core.  Any chance you can take a look?

Edited by leflur

1 hour ago, leflur said:

Thank you for doing this!  So happy to be able to play NHL 94 with current rosters :)

Edit: The game is unfortunately freezing for me when I try to play an exhibition game.  I had no issues with the two previous ROMs.  I'm using Retroarch and the Genesis Plus GX core.  Any chance you can take a look?

I use Kega Fusion and (sometimes) GENS and it works perfect for me.  Probably played around 20-25 games in the last 24 hours without any issues.  A buddy of mine downloaded it and said it works fine for him as well.  It's the same rom that I edit/post for each season.

Edited by Sauce

1 hour ago, Sauce said:

I use Kega Fusion and (sometimes) GENS and it works perfect for me.  Probably played around 20-25 games in the last 24 hours without any issues.  A buddy of mine downloaded it and said it works fine for him as well.  It's the same rom that I edit/post for each season.

Thanks! I tried another core in RetroArch and it works great.

Nice rom!

Graphics-wise, the hockey sticks with the tape is a nice touch...

Is it possible to get the big centre ice logos ala skip&slapshot... makes a huge difference aesthetically.

Good job!

Edited by profit90

On 1/15/2021 at 8:56 AM, Sauce said:

First off, thanks for downloading it!

Second, sorry to hear the news.

I played three games with it, last night, with no problems.  It is also the same version/format as the ones that you mentioned above.  Plus, we're not seeing anyone else report that they can't play/load it either.  The only version, that I posted, with a noticable difference vs the others was the recent "Preseason Version" (now removed).  It was posted after the "Way Too Early" rom.  That one, had the freeze bug fixed but unfortunately, negatively impacted player cards and playoff mode.  But, you didn't meniton that one above so unfortunately, I believe that the issue is with your system or something that you are or aren't doing.  It's just a process of elimination theory.

Again, sorry that you are having problems.  Unfortunately, I don't use or know about Project Lunar-modded Sega Genesis Mini so I can't troubleshoot for you.  If someone else does, perhaps they can private message you to help.  

I figured it out. Working now. Thanks!

12 hours ago, leflur said:

Thanks! I tried another core in RetroArch and it works great.

Which core did you use, just in case anyone else is having the same problem?

I have never had any problems with playing ROMs from this forum on my Mega Drive / Genesis Mini, as using Retroarch through a Hakchi CE build with Genesis Plus GX as the core seems to do the business. 

• Love 1

On 1/14/2021 at 1:25 PM, Sauce said:

V1 of my NHL94 2021 season rom has been added to this original post.

*Lines/d pairs may not accurate, in several cases, especially, for teams who have coaches who change them every five minutes.  Feel free to change them to what you'd like them to be.  The opening night players are all there for you to select.  There are some "taxi squad" folks as well (but not all).
*Injured/COVID-affected players expected/rumored to be returning during the season are in the active rosters for line changes.  If someone is confirmed as being out for the season (Kucherov, for example) they will be on the roster but inactive for anything but NLC.
*Several new players, many who are rookies, were added to this version.
*Jersey numbers were updated as of 1/13/21.
*Removed the "Way Too Early" and "Preseason" versions.

Thanls, @Sauce.  At least the new Leafs roster cannot repeatedly clock "too many men" minors on this!

2 hours ago, francini said:

Great job!!! It's fantastic!! Thanks from Spain!! 

Thank you for your kind words!  Glad to see that this website community continues to expand throughout Europe!

Excellent rom. Congrats.

If I could point out one thing though, injured players sometimes come on as the extra attacker or penalty shooter. For example, i was playing against tb (cpu), and kucherov (though not available in the regular game) came on to take a penalty shot for them. Same goes for extra attacker (eg, voracek (i think it was) came on as an extra attacker for philly even though he was not on any line)

1 hour ago, profit90 said:

Excellent rom. Congrats.

If I could point out one thing though, injured players sometimes come on as the extra attacker or penalty shooter. For example, i was playing against tb (cpu), and kucherov (though not available in the regular game) came on to take a penalty shot for them. Same goes for extra attacker (eg, voracek (i think it was) came on as an extra attacker for philly even though he was not on any line)

Thank you for your kind words.

Unfortunately, that is a programming logic that I cannot correct. I can assure you that I purposely removed Nikita Kucherov (for example) as an assigned extra attacker, from all lines, with NOSE, due to his LTIR status.  If the game is overriding said logic, I cannot correct it without physically removing him (which I will not do due to his popularity).  It's possible, if a player on a line or the assigned extra attacker to that line is injured, the game logic may, by default, pull in a highly rated player (active or inactive), such as Kucherov, into the game.  Just a theory...

As for Voracek, he is listed as the extra attacker for the two lines.  I programmed it, as such, in NOSE.  You can download NOSE and use it as a tool to program lines and extra attackers as you see fit.  

Cheers!

Forgot to mention I put this on social media recently when you updated it...i think at the time you were around 117 downloads...i see its up to 325 now! Great job and thanks again for your contribution to the community!

• Thanks 1

Howdy!  I was hoping to avoid doing a rom update until February, at the earliest, but this morning's trade of Dubois (CBJ) for Laine/Roslovic (WPG) is too notable to delay.  I will also add a few extra (new) players to make it a little more worth a download.

I'll have an update posted today or tomorrow (at the latest).

Cheers!

• Like 1

V2 of my 2021 rom has been posted.  Updated after the Laine/Dubois trade.  A couple of other players were added as well.  Didn't do much in terms of player ratings as we are only two weeks into the season.  That, will happen on a future rom once we get more games played.

Cheers!

• Thanks 1

So I’ve been kicking some butt with the Chicago Blackhawks on this ROM which is absolutely awesome. I want to do line changes more often & I know how to use NOSE. My question is what should I edit so my players get tired a little quicker & take longer to get to full strength.

10 minutes ago, HITTER42 said:

So I’ve been kicking some butt with the Chicago Blackhawks on this ROM which is absolutely awesome. I want to do line changes more often & I know how to use NOSE. My question is what should I edit so my players get tired a little quicker & take longer to get to full strength.

Cool, thanks for downloading it!  Glad you are doing well the Hawks.  Unfortunately, the goalies are rated low (due to expectation) but, if Lankinen keeps up his recent play (IF being the key word) then expect a nice bump in v3 whenever I update/post it.  If Suter and Kurashev end up being the real deal(s), they, too, will see a bump down the line.

Anywho...

You can apply the energy/stamina hack, to the rom, if you have a Hex Editor.  I did this with my playoff version rom for last season but, it wasn't that well received so I ended up doing one without the hack.  I chose to not use it this year's rom and just keep it as the original game's setting. 

The link below shows you how to do it.  It's pretty easy to do.  Per the steps, I recommend changing it from 0021 to 0041 or 0051.  In doing so, if you play with line changes, it will make your players get tired faster as well as the opponent's.  You'll see more frequent line changes.  You can play around with it until you reach the desired level for fatigue setting in terms of the frequency of the line changes.  

Cheers!

On 1/16/2021 at 12:26 PM, LaTormenta said:

Which core did you use, just in case anyone else is having the same problem?

I have never had any problems with playing ROMs from this forum on my Mega Drive / Genesis Mini, as using Retroarch through a Hakchi CE build with Genesis Plus GX as the core seems to do the business. 

Sorry, just saw this!  The BlastEm core worked for me.

On 1/24/2021 at 4:30 PM, Sauce said:

V2 of my 2021 rom has been posted.  Updated after the Laine/Dubois trade.  A couple of other players were added as well.  Didn't do much in terms of player ratings as we are only two weeks into the season.  That, will happen on a future rom once we get more games played.

Cheers!

Thank you!

31 minutes ago, Greg9937 said:

You have a link to installation instructions? I am computer illiterate. I have NHL94 ROM already. How do I add this? Is it a separate game?

There's nothing to install if you already have an emulator that plays roms.  If not, I recommend downloading GENS or Kega Fusion to play the rom files.  I prefer the latter but, to each, their own. 

If you have an emulator, you simply download a rom file (on page 1) to your computer.  Then, open the file in your emulator to play it.  You're not "adding" it to anything existing but rather, having separate files to play.

Hi!  Just re-posted V2 of this rom.  I didn't name it V3 as there wasn't any major transactions made since I, originally, posted it back on 1/24.  I added a few players and updated some player headshots.  I also removed Tony DeAngelo as he will not be playing for the Rangers, again, and they seem to be taking their time with, possibly, trading him. 

I have edited several player ratings to give a bump up or down, here and there.  I didn't edit the team rankings, yet, as it is still too early and many of the teams haven't played a quarter of the season yet (COVID delays and all).

If anyone catches any mistakes (player numbers, hand (L vs R), weight, etc.), please let me know.

Enjoy...cheers!

• Love 1
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
39 minutes ago, SNOHBAWL said:

Loving this mod. Just a quick question. Is it just my rom/emulator that makes the puck hitting the boards sound like a rubber ball or is that how it’s supposed to be? 

Thanks @SNOHBAWL!

It definitely makes a sound.  I'm not sure I'd compare it to a rubber ball but, you're not far off the mark.

14 minutes ago, SNOHBAWL said:

So that’s how it’s supposed to be? I’m coming from playing ‘94 on snes and it’s definitely a diff sound lol

I have never played the SNES version, and don't know the sound that you are referencing, so I can't say for certain.  There are differences between the SNES and Gen versions.  This may be one of them.  

• Like 1

Hi All!

I just posted V3 of this rom (in the OP).  I updated the ratings for a good chunk of players and finally got around to updating the team ratings, as well, to reflect how the season is going so far.

If anyone catching as mistakes, please feel free to let me know.

Cheers!

• Love 2
  • Thanks 1