Jump to content
NHL'94 Forums

NHL94 2021 ROM by The Sauce


Sauce
 Share

Recommended Posts

40 minutes ago, Sauce said:

VGK/WSH/WPG all freeze on the 32 team rom.  Switch to Kega Fusion and that won't happen.  You'll still see the 3s but it won't freeze.  It's a well-known issue with the expansion of the 32-team rom.  There is a way to fix it but, it disables something else.  Not worth it.  

Ahhhhh.. that's what I get for being a Gens n00b! Learn something new everyday.

Gotta say though- this modded ROM is a ton of fun and I might slowly be converting to Gens play. :lol:

Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 hours ago, Sauce said:

@denver19 For folks to help you, I think you need to provide more details then what you posted.  For starters, what emulator are you using to play the rom file?  

My apologies....I am not very familiar with emulators and downloading stuff on PC so i dont know where to start  ...i got a buddy that can help make sense of things for me 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Hi Everyone!

So, recently, I made some notable changes to my "NHL 2021 "Way too Early" ROM.  In particular, I wanted to see how close (for my own taste) I could get the player ratings distribution to mirror the original version.  It's not exact but I got pretty darn close.  Now I have a 10 page cheatsheet (file) to help me with this endeavor with blueprints on how to add and take away players and keep the distribution %s the same.  To do this, I took count of the original game's Forwards and Dmen (minus any dups who played on both ANA or FLA as well as another team) and did a side-by-side comparison.  I, also, didn't include Seattle's players in my comparison.  I wanted to see how the various attributes were laid out (0-6) in the original vs mine.  I also did the same for goalies.  In some cases, I didn't want to rate folks a 0 or 1 (speed, shot power or endurance).  So, in those 3 cases, I didn't go lower then 2.  Speed was the biggest challenge of all the attributes as Dmen, in the original, were too slow, compared to today.  But, I still got it somewhat close(r) and with forwards as well.  The other attributes were easier to match up.

Some other notable changes/updates:

*The legend is back!  Ron Barr (in color) has returned.
*Several last names were shortened (like the original game).  There is a 10 letter max to fit the names on the "goal scored window" when a goal is scored.  If you go beyond it, it extends the name off of the window which looks awkward.
*Fixed the "Other Scores" page so it now shows all 32 teams (credit: @slapshot67for the find).
*Added a couple and took away a couple players to reflect recent signings.
*Updated a couple of jersey numbers (not all have been confirmed as of 11/10/20).
*Made some graphical updates.


Cheers!

 

Edited by Sauce
  • Like 2
  • Love 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, junkfoodtony said:

Awesome work @Sauce I really appreciate all the hard work you do to provide us with updated roms with current rosters/stats. I play these roms more then I should admit lol thanks for everything man!

You're welcome!  Thanks for the kind words! 

I, too, probably play it, as well as edit it, way too much which is why I felt the need to thank my awesome (understanding) wife at the end of the game credits.  LOL

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Howdy!

For those who read my previous post (pre-edit/update), due to logistical concerns, I have decided to scrap the NHL Reverse Retro version of my NHL94 2021 "Way Too Early" rom.  The more that I worked on it, the more that I realized it wasn't going to end up as I had previously hoped.  It's a "cash grab" gimmick by the NHL that doesn't translate to our rom constraints so, I don't want to release something that is forced.  

Sorry for the false alert.  Lesson learned... never promote dinner until it is out of the oven.

Once the 2021 season begins, I'll post my "season version" rom with updated rosters.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Howdy - I will have an updated version of this rom within the next couple of days.  Some minor updates and one BIG one.  I will be removing Henrik Lundqvist.  It saddens me (as he is a fav player of mine) to pass along that he will not be playing this upcoming season due to a heart condition.  Given his age and the condition, I would not be surprised if he retires next year.  He made the announcement on his twitter account, today.

I will also take the opportunity to update Colorado pant/helmet colors as I did in the 2021 3v3 rom.  There will be some jersey number updates as well.  Maybe a new player here or there.

To come... soon...

Cheers!

  • Sad 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Sauce changed the title to NHL94 2021 ROM by The Sauce

Per my above post, I have added a new version of my NHL94 2021 rom (located in the original post on page 1).  I removed Henrik Lundqvist as he won't be playing this season as well as, Alex Steen (who was forced to retired due to back problems).  Added Anthony Duclair to the Panthers (just signed there today).

I kept Cory Schneider on the Islanders (even though he is not officially signed).  It has been rumored that he has a "hand shake" deal with the team.  Plus, Lou Lam likes to sign ex-Devils (or bring them back).

The Winnipeg Freeze bug is fixed in this new version but to do so, I had to break player cards in game mode.  Didn't seem like a big loss to me.

Lastly, Colorado now has blue pants and helmet like they will be using this season.

Cheers!

Edited by Sauce
  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Hi All!

So, I was quite wrong about Zdeno Chara re-signing with the Bruins as he signed with Washington today.  End of an era in Beantown and a mistake for the "Way Too Early" version of the rom.  Anywho, I have updated the Preseason version of the 2021 rom.  It is now uploaded in the OP.  I have updated several jersey numbers (which many have been confirmed as of late).  I added approx 50 players to this rom and have the rosters updated as of today.  I only included one PTO player as I added Mike Hoffman to the Blues.  Barring any strange happenings, he is expected to sign a 1 year/4M deal once the team can put Steen and Tarasenko on LTIR.  If any other PTO players get contracts, I will add them to my opening night/week version.  As such, this will be the last version I post until the opening week.

Injured players (Marchand, Pastrnak, Toews, Seguin, Bishop, Tarasenko, etc.) who are expected to return, this season, are still in the starting line-ups.  However, those confirmed as out for the year, are in the game but not the active lines.  So a player like Kucherov or Kelfbom, you can use in NLC mode but, you'd have to add them to the lines/d-pairings if you want him there.

If anyone notices some errors or mistakes, please let me know so I can make sure to address for the opening night/week rom.

Anywho... cheers!

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Posted too soon...had to take down the latest version as there is an issue with the player cards.  Fixing now...re-post soon...sorry about that...

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Ok...problem addressed/solved/fixed.  See two posts above for details on the latest version of this rom.  It is now available, for download, on the first page of this thread.

Cheers!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, The Dopefish said:

Boooooo, why?

Two reasons...

At the time that I did the work (which is still saved somewhere, I believe), it was unclear as to whether or not certain retro jerseys would be home or away.  As you have probably noticed, some teams have retro away vs retro home 'cause God forbid the NHL do anything with any level of consistency or order or rhyme/reason.  Anywho, I didn't want to give each team the same jersey for home and away to cover myself while we wait for the confirmation of home vs away.  For example, Carolina has a grey Whalers retro jersey that is based on the 1979 home jersey which was white.  Well, white is "away" now-a-days and grey would be considered "home".  However, no team has confirmed when they will wear said retro jerseys and whether it will be for a home or away game.  So, at the time, I didn't want to release something that was wrong only to do continuous corrected versions (I try to avoid that if I can).  Plus, also at the time that I did the work, the helmet and pant colors were not officially confirmed yet.  Only the actual jersey colors/design.  Now we know, for example, Dallas (when retro) will wear white pants, helmets and gloves with a white jersey (SMH).  I was rumored at the time, but not yet confirmed, that they will now look like storm-troopers when they go retro.  Hopefully, they have better aim!  :)

Second reason... by time I would have had everything confirmed/official, Naples already released his rom which contains the retro jerseys.  I will not copy someone else.  He beat me to the punch and I'm cool with that as I think it's neat that he did his version that way.

So, lesson learned ... don't advertise your work until you actually have it done and ready to go.  Cheers! 

Edited by Sauce
Link to comment
Share on other sites

The Kraken only has a handful of players. If I add more, will this break the rom? Do I have to remove a few AHLers from some of the other teams to open up space on the ROM for the Kraken roster additions?

 

And, thank you Sauce for all this work. Excellent stuff. Playing non stop on my Android tablet while using an Xbox controller.

Edited by SinDonuts
Link to comment
Share on other sites

23 minutes ago, SinDonuts said:

The Kraken only has a handful of players. If I add more, will this break the rom? Do I have to remove a few AHLers from some of the other teams to open up space on the ROM for the Kraken roster additions?

 

And, thank you Sauce for all this work. Excellent stuff. Playing non stop on my Android tablet while using an Xbox controller.

Glad you like it!

I set up Seattle, that way, by design.  Next year, when they have actual/real players, I will reconfigure them to have a full roster like the other teams.  If you add player, no, it will not break the rom.  It will, however, mess up the player cards for the Dmen.  The hex pointers, for the Dmen, are numbered, for Seattle, differently then the other teams as there are less players.  For most teams, I believe that I have the pointers, for the 2 Dmen cards, as 11 and 12 (if memory serves as I'm not on my home computer now).  For Seattle, I think I had them as 7 and 8 (I can't recall at this moment).  Anywho, adding more forwards means that one of them will take over the hex pointer location for the Dmen player cards.  Now, with Seattle, I don't use player images like other team but rather, just a B&W version of the team logo.  So, if you add players, it probably won't matter much as there is no headshot for the player name displaying.  So, have at it.
Again, this will change next year, after they do the expansion draft, in which case, I will (then) update the rom structure.

As an FYI, an updated version of this rom will be posted in a week or so as the season begins.  I saw that Corey Crawford is retiring today so I will have to remove him in addition to other updates.

Cheers!

  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

23 hours ago, Sauce said:

Glad you like it!

I set up Seattle, that way, by design.  Next year, when they have actual/real players, I will reconfigure them to have a full roster like the other teams.  If you add player, no, it will not break the rom.  It will, however, mess up the player cards for the Dmen.  The hex pointers, for the Dmen, are numbered, for Seattle, differently then the other teams as there are less players.  For most teams, I believe that I have the pointers, for the 2 Dmen cards, as 11 and 12 (if memory serves as I'm not on my home computer now).  For Seattle, I think I had them as 7 and 8 (I can't recall at this moment).  Anywho, adding more forwards means that one of them will take over the hex pointer location for the Dmen player cards.  Now, with Seattle, I don't use player images like other team but rather, just a B&W version of the team logo.  So, if you add players, it probably won't matter much as there is no headshot for the player name displaying.  So, have at it.
Again, this will change next year, after they do the expansion draft, in which case, I will (then) update the rom structure.

As an FYI, an updated version of this rom will be posted in a week or so as the season begins.  I saw that Corey Crawford is retiring today so I will have to remove him in addition to other updates.

Cheers!

Thanks for your great work again! As for the Devils, since Crawford is retired, in their system they have #29 Mackenzie Blackwood as their starter, backed up by #41 Scott Wedgewood and #31 Gilles Senn.

Edited by JF31
Link to comment
Share on other sites

11 minutes ago, JF31 said:

Thanks for your great work again! As for the Devils, since Crawford is retired, in their system they have #29 Mackenzie Blackwood as their starter, backed up by #41 Scott Wedgewood and #31 Gilles Senn.

For now... and, that's how I updated my rom (yesterday) but, it remains to be seen as we still have 3-4 days 'til (official) puck-drop for teams.

Let's see what they do in the next couple of days.  They could sign a vet UFA guy like a Jimmy Howard or pick up a waiver wire guy.  Louis Domingue was just waived today and he has a history (albeit brief) with the team.  They may even swing a trade with a team like Toronto who has 3 NHL caliber goalies in Anderson, Campbell and Dell.  As it seems that Dell may be a victim of the numbers game, and would have to be waived to be put on the team's Taxi Squad, it is possible the Leafs might work with the Devils to swing a trade.  That is, rather than potentially lose him by waiving him.  Dell is not a star but is a decent back-up with plenty of NHL experience so who knows...

Thanks for the kind words... season kick-off ROM coming soon...

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Hey, just a note regarding the Winnipeg Bug fix you used. I've noticed that when using the card disabling fix, the inhibiting of saving player data also seems to inhibit saving of playoff series data.

Once completing a playoff game, when the game returns to the main menu, the "Continue Playoffs" shows Team #1 vs Team #1 instead of whatever teams you should be playing. If you ignore that and try to play the next game, it just starts a new best of 7 playoff bracket from the beginning.
Also, if you accidentally change the play mode, your Continue Playoffs option is just erased and you can't access it the play modes.

I show...
image.pngimage.pngimage.png

Anyway, not sure if you're concerned with playing playoffs in this particular build, but I figured I'd note it as I haven't seen any mention when I was looking up this fix.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, von Ozbourme said:

Hey, just a note regarding the Winnipeg Bug fix you used. I've noticed that when using the card disabling fix, the inhibiting of saving player data also seems to inhibit saving of playoff series data.

Once completing a playoff game, when the game returns to the main menu, the "Continue Playoffs" shows Team #1 vs Team #1 instead of whatever teams you should be playing. If you ignore that and try to play the next game, it just starts a new best of 7 playoff bracket from the beginning.
Also, if you accidentally change the play mode, your Continue Playoffs option is just erased and you can't access it the play modes.

I show...
image.pngimage.pngimage.png

Anyway, not sure if you're concerned with playing playoffs in this particular build, but I figured I'd note it as I haven't seen any mention when I was looking up this fix.

Noted, thanks for catching it.  I will change it back to having the freeze bug (with said disclaimer) on the season version when I next post it.  But to be honest, the rom has been downloaded nearing 300 times and this is the first it was mentioned.  My guess is, not enough people care about playoff mode.  But, I'll definitely re-set it back so if someone does, it won't hinder them.

Edited by Sauce
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Sauce said:

nearing 300 times and this is the first it was mentioned.  My guess is, not enough people care about playoff mode

Yeah, I completely figured that to be the case. Frankly I only noticed because I was referencing your ROM while working on one of my own that is intended to be geared towards the playoffs. I encountered the bug and wondered if it was just something I messed up, but it appears to be related to the card fix in general.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

V1 of my NHL94 2021 season rom has been added to this original post.

*Lines/d pairs may not accurate, in several cases, especially, for teams who have coaches who change them every five minutes.  Feel free to change them to what you'd like them to be.  The opening night players are all there for you to select.  There are some "taxi squad" folks as well (but not all).
*Injured/COVID-affected players expected/rumored to be returning during the season are in the active rosters for line changes.  If someone is confirmed as being out for the season (Kucherov, for example) they will be on the roster but inactive for anything but NLC.
*Several new players, many who are rookies, were added to this version.
*Jersey numbers were updated as of 1/13/21.
*Removed the "Way Too Early" and "Preseason" versions.

Edited by Sauce
  • Thanks 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

One thing I forgot to mention in the above post... special thanks goes to @kingraph!  He re-created the Blackhawks center ice logo as used in NHL Rewind.  While I was ok with the one that I previously had, his is better and I "borrowed it" for my latest version (posted today).  :)  We chatted about it but I wanted to give public acknowledgment.

Thanks bud!

Edited by Sauce
  • Thanks 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

×
×
  • Create New...