NHL'94 Forums

Editing NHL94 in C++

Red

I'm working on a C++ program to manipulate NHL94. I'm having trouble reading the NHL94.bin file. Right now I am reading the file to a string (eventually I will read it to a vector array, but that is down the road), but the program stops reading when the pointer reaches a '1A' value in the file. Is there a workaround for this, or is there a better way to accomplish what I'm trying to do?

I'm working on a C++ program to manipulate NHL94. I'm having trouble reading the NHL94.bin file. Right now I am reading the file to a string (eventually I will read it to a vector array, but that is down the road), but the program stops reading when the pointer reaches a '1A' value in the file. Is there a workaround for this, or is there a better way to accomplish what I'm trying to do?

You really should create a dynamic array of bytes and not work with strings to store the ROM. Like Visual Basic (used for NOSE), you should be able to get the size of the file, resize the byte array to match, and the load the entire file into the array with only a handful of commands. Can't remember the exact syntax you need to use as I haven't used C++ in years unfortunately.

Exactly what elements of 94 are you trying to manipulate.... ???

Thanks wboy. I'll have to try it with a dynamic array. I haven't used dynamic arrays yet (I'm kind of a programming noob).

The program will only manipulate player names and attributes, & will also read (but not alter) team names.