NHL'94 Forums

SNES Team Matchups

TecmoJon

We all have seen some basic matchups that people tend to default and use....

Chicago v Rangers, Boston v Pittsburgh, Philadelphia v St. Louis

These teams all have strengths and weaknesses. Does anyone have an out there matchup that they like using? Or what do you look for in picking a matchup? Fast defensemen? Heavy forward lines? 

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, seamor said:

My friends and I like San Jose VS Anaheim (embracing the suck, and also a nice Cali rivalry), and Hartford VS Quebec for maximum 90s effect.

My Missus has a tendency to play as the sharks or Hartford... When she plays as SA, I'll take Ottawa - worst goal-tending in the game. When she's Hartford, I've always found my Oilers to be a fair match up, but I also have a tendency to go for the nineties vibe with Quebec.

• Love 1

3 minutes ago, illegalsmileIV:XX said:

My Missus has a tendency to play as the sharks or Hartford... When she plays as SA, I'll take Ottawa - worst goal-tending in the game. When she's Hartford, I've always found my Oilers to be a fair match up, but I also have a tendency to go for the nineties vibe with Quebec.

Mine will only play Mutant League Hockey.

She doesn't want to hear me talk about how great Pavel Bure is for an hour.

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

21 hours ago, smozoma said:

Here's a matchup chart. generally teams which share a "band" are competitive with each other. So NYR-VAN is fair, but not NYR-BOS.

SNES_Team_List.png

This is a great chart, but the team ranks are very subjective and everyone has their own preferences. 

I'd say there's a group of two to five elite teams, five terrible (expansion) teams, and everyone else is right in between!

You could almost have a single tier from Calgary down to the Islanders.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Bob Kudelski said:

This is a great chart, but the team ranks are very subjective and everyone has their own preferences. 

I'd say there's a group of two to five elite teams, five terrible (expansion) teams, and everyone else is right in between!

That is kind of what I'm after. No one is going to willingly choose Pittsburgh v Winnipeg, but some people rightly (or very wrongly) think Dallas v Buffalo might work as a matchup. 

Is there something funky out there that might be fun? Or something unexpected that plays really nice - in my experience something like Quebec v Islanders can be a nice matchup of teams that is unexpected. 

I don't know. After several king of 94's, you see all sorts of matchups. Not too many that are crazy or unexpected.

One thing that's kinda interesting - with the exception of Ottawa, you can match up any of the Canadian teams and it will be fairly even.

• Like 1

23 hours ago, Bob Kudelski said:

I don't know. After several king of 94's, you see all sorts of matchups. Not too many that are crazy or unexpected.

One thing that's kinda interesting - with the exception of Ottawa, you can match up any of the Canadian teams and it will be fairly even.

I'll have to look into that. 

On 11/2/2020 at 3:48 PM, illegalsmileIV:XX said:

Your missus sounds like she's..........not bad. Not bad at all. The f**king WHALE rules. And I won't hear anything to the contrary

DanK

hartford-whalers.jpg

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 11/2/2020 at 3:28 PM, TecmoJon said:

We all have seen some basic matchups that people tend to default and use....

Chicago v Rangers, Boston v Pittsburgh, Philadelphia v St. Louis

These teams all have strengths and weaknesses. Does anyone have an out there matchup that they like using? Or what do you look for in picking a matchup? Fast defensemen? Heavy forward lines? 

I like to play CHI-DET and play as the Blackhawks because I'm a YUUUUUGE Blackhawks fan (esp when Roenick was 1st line at the motherfucking dot) but also because DeToilet always beats me in that matchup and I just fuuuuuucking hate myself. So it works!

DanK

• Like 1

On 11/3/2020 at 12:58 PM, Bob Kudelski said:

True and very well said, Mr. Kudelski (btw I absolutely LOVED your work when you were with Ottawa). And in my opinion the starkest example of what you just said is Dallas. Mike Modano, although he may have the teeth of a f**king horse, makes that team viable almost single-handedly. And then when you throw in the Russ "The Lesser Courtnall" Courtnall (h/t @TecmoJon), well then that collectively 67-rated bunch of fuckstains can make some goddamn noise. 

DanK

• Love 1
  • Like 1

11 hours ago, DanK said:

I like to play CHI-DET and play as the Blackhawks because I'm a YUUUUUGE Blackhawks fan (esp when Roenick was 1st line at the motherfucking dot) but also because DeToilet always beats me in that matchup and I just fuuuuuucking hate myself. So it works!

I have to be honest and say, despite all the great combinations of team match ups, Chicago-Detroit is certainly the most fun. Both teams are just in god-mode. I always play Detroit... And by "always play Detroit," I mean, EVER SINCE AUGUST CHICAGO CAN GO f**k THEMSELVES... Umm, sorry 'bout that, what I meant to say was, yeah Chicago doesn't really "gel" with me, even with Roenick... Yzerman like a ma'facka!

(Also, while I'm here, f**k DOMINIK KUBALIK TOO!)

Okay, I'm done, I'm going to lie down, for a bit... :nothing_to_say: 

• Haha 1

12 hours ago, DanK said:

The f**king WHALE rules. And I won't hear anything to the contrary

Yup, my missus is definitely good people, but "whale" is going a bit far... I mean, she likes her Pringles and Doritos, but that's just the munchies. :haha:

And, yes, what you're thinking is correct... No, she won't ever read this! :D

Edited by illegalsmileIV:XX
Grammar
  • Haha 1