NHL'94 Forums

[HOW TO] Limit # of Player Cards Shown on Menu & Ron Barr Screen

Sean

Hi all,

With some pretty heavy training wheels from Smozoma, we found the RAM offset that controls how many player cards scroll on the main screen, which I then turned into ammo to tackle the Ron Barr screen and stop 2 on 2 crashes.

Menu Screen

F8908 is the offset (sometimes it's a little off), and in the base ROM it'll be 06, which gives the ROM time to display an entire normal ROM's starting line-up.

For me, I'm working on a 2 on 2 hack, so this wouldn't suffice, so I had to change it to 03, which would only show the left wing, center, and goalie.

The value literally is just the amount of players you want to show. 01 is 1 (which will be just the goalie), 02 is 2, and so forth.

The way this works is pretty simple, it just counts the players who are assigned player cards in order. It's an upper limit, counting the player cards in order, as opposed to acting as a count itself like the Ron Barr screen.

It will pull whatever players are tied to player cards, so if you used EARE, I would cap it at players who had starting line-up slots so you don't get bugged cards.

Ron Barr Screen

FD4B9 is the offset, and in your original ROM, it should say something like 04 03 05 01 02 00, all of which correspond to positions.

04 is C, 03 is LW, 05 is RW, 01 is LD, 02 is RD, and 00 is G. You can't get rid of values, you just have to replace them.

Basically just put these in the order you need, and edit the hex text related to what position the game spits out when the match-up comes up. I went 04 03 00, so I had to edit the right forward to say goalie, and the left defenseman to say center, the right defenseman to say wing, and goalie stayed as is.

If you have any questions, let me know.

Edited by seamor

22 minutes ago, kingraph said:

Can you increase past 6?  

Yes, but the player card is bugged if you only use EARE, so you have to set it manually.

Also, I was wrong about positions, EARE will automatically just add the players you put in NLC to the screen, so 3 on 3 and so on will work. Post edited accordingly.

I may have misunderstood what we were trying to do until the very end.. thought we were after the team31 crash :). But this gets us a little closer, and it's cool that we can control how many players to display.

And as Raph noted, we can change this number to show more players in ROMs with bigger teams! (important to make sure every team has enough players though)

• Sean changed the title to [HOW TO] Limit # of Player Cards Shown on Menu & Ron Barr Screen
  • 1 month later...
On 11/3/2020 at 10:20 AM, seamor said:

Menu Screen

F890A is the offset (sometimes it's a little off), and in the base ROM it'll be 06, which gives the ROM time to display an entire normal ROM's starting line-up.

When I check F890A on the 32 team ROM and 30 team ROM, both come up with a value of FFFF.  Can you double check?  I'd like to try this on my next ROM.

53 minutes ago, kingraph said:

When I check F890A on the 32 team ROM and 30 team ROM, both come up with a value of FFFF.  Can you double check?  I'd like to try this on my next ROM.

@kingraph It's F8908.  I ran into the same confusion when I applied this hack to my recent 3v3 rom (which is the 32 team format).  Change the 00 06 to whatever it needs to be...

• Thanks 1

20 minutes ago, Sauce said:

@kingraph It's F8908.  I ran into the same confusion when I applied this hack to my recent 3v3 rom (which is the 32 team format).  Change the 00 06 to whatever it needs to be...

WORKED!  Latest ROM will scroll through the 12 players on each team.  So cool.

• Love 1

42 minutes ago, kingraph said:

WORKED!  Latest ROM will scroll through the 12 players on each team.  So cool.

Awesome... is this a rom that you will be posting for just league play or something that you are considering making public for all to see/use?

43 minutes ago, Sauce said:

Awesome... is this a rom that you will be posting for just league play or something that you are considering making public for all to see/use?

It's for league play (Chaos Draft League), and I'll be posting the final version tomorrow on the forums with all the descriptions of the hacks/updates.  Love this updated feature a lot.

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, kingraph said:

It's for league play (Chaos Draft League), and I'll be posting the final version tomorrow on the forums with all the descriptions of the hacks/updates.  Love this updated feature a lot.

Agreed... it's a cool find.  I only used it on my 3v3, and had to get a little creative to make it work (considering I used a D/C/W structure vs the LD/RD/LW/C/RW structure) but it worked and it's a nice touch.  Better than having the player cards freeze. 

I look forward to seeing this new direction that you've take your rom!