NHL'94 Forums

NHL Jam '21

Sean

BOOMSHAKALAKA!

Untitled-1.jpg

NHL Jam 21 v1.4.bin

v 1.4 said to never exist 11/20/20, released 11/16/20.

v 1.3 released 11/12/20, removed 11/16/20, 30 downloads.

v 1.2 released 11/11/20, removed 11/12/20, 17 downloads.

v 1.1 Released 11/5/20, removed 11/11/20, 35 downloads.

v 1.0 Released 11/4/20, removed 11/5/20, 23 downloads.

Features

• Fast-paced, arcade-stick friendly, 2 on 2 action!
  • 32 playable teams, with the Soviet Union acting as a placeholder for the eventual Seattle Kraken team. They're a pretty tough squad to beat since I just took the 5 best players from the Red Army team's history, so every player is 90+, and if they get hot, it's a tough match-up. Makarov, Kharlamov, and Tretiak make up their main group.
  • Play through an 8 team playoff bracket, and then take on the Soviets at the very end to see if you have what it takes to be a champion!
  • Like in NBA Jam TE, each team has 4 active skaters (and a goalie).
  • The 0:00 Periods that take you straight to OT are in the game as the Sudden Death option in period length.
  • This game is 100% mostly crash proof in normal play, which I think is somewhat nice for a 32 team and 2 on 2 ROM. No need to rush around to choose teams, or skip over the match-up screen anymore, which is nice (especially when it goes on my arcade stand).
  • I tried to make the game feel arcadey, so the even-teams style from the normal 2 on 2 ROMs is out the window, and hot/cold is on. This also allows for handicapping if you're playing against someone worse than you (usually better than for me though :)), and also gives each team/player a fun identity.
  • I pumped this baby full of goofs, gags, and easter eggs. Some are just silly player cards, alternate jerseys, or graphics, but others may require a little bit of line editing to find...

Required Thank Yous

• @smozoma was a big help in hunting down a lot of the hex values that needed to be changed, and answered a lot of my questions along the way. SmozROM and EARE also are always a big help on a project like this!
  • @slapshot67 made the 32-team ROM base, which makes this possible in the first place.
  • @Sauce's 2020 Playoff ROM was the working base for this since I had been slowly chipping away at it since summer, so a lot of the graphics were already there for me!

Known Bugs

• The Sudden Death game style doesn't work in the playoffs, because of how the game treats OT compared to the Regular Season mode.
  • There were some compromises to crash proof the game.
    • The Player Cards screen on the in-game menu will crash the game. It has been changed to "DON'T OPEN", just to make sure it's avoided.
    • Names show up twice on the main menu, because of the way that the Winnipeg Freeze Bug had to be stopped. Couldn't get rid of one without getting rid of the other either.
    • Noted hockey expert Lazlow Holmes will not tell you who is hot or cold, since the game would sometimes try to pick player slots that didn't exist, crashing the game. The bonuses are still on, and you see them under the player image, just he won't tell you.
  • Some of the center ice logos (Chicago and Ottawa come to mind) could be better.

If you find anything at all, such as a bugged player card, incorrect number, or just want to complain, let me know.

Edited by seamor
  • Like 7

I plan on doing multiple versions of this, whether it's with historic duos, the World Junior Championship rosters, or just something completely different altogether, so please let me know how I can improve on this base for better gameplay and just general experience.

12 hours ago, DeterminedApathy said:

I think the Tuukka Rask photo is my favorite.

That's one of my favorites too!

Glad to hear someone else is enjoying the ROM, it's been an idea I've had for a long time. I love 2 on 2 and 3 on 3, and figured 2 on 2 would be perfect for to try my hand at since I'm currently building an arcade stand for my house.

OK, having looked through the lineups, I definitely appreciate the easter eggs. I don't want to name specific ones and spoil it for anyone else, though.

That said, I'm curiousĀ about the one in Montreal. Or more specifically,Ā how you arrived at putting him in Montreal. BecauseĀ I totally get why you would put him in here somewhere.

Oh, andĀ I should point out that trying to edit lines with line changes on crashes the game but that probably shouldn't have surprised me with the roster setups, haha.

36 minutes ago, DeterminedApathy said:

That said, I'm curiousĀ about the one in Montreal. Or more specifically,Ā how you arrived at putting him in Montreal. BecauseĀ I totally get why you would put him in here somewhere.

This is why.

37 minutes ago, DeterminedApathy said:

Oh, andĀ I should point out that trying to edit lines with line changes on crashes the game but that probably shouldn't have surprised me with the roster setups, hah

Thanks for letting me know, I'll have a 1.1 out soon!

@seamor
Use this link to resolve the crashing.Ā  It's what I used on my 3on3 roms.Ā  It works.Ā  And while I don't mind you using my/slapshots rom, please take my wife's name out of the "thank you" credits on your future versions.Ā  That my easter egg, to my wife, for all of her patience when I do my work.

https://forum.nhl94.com/index.php?/topic/11608-how-to-prevent-2on2-roms-from-crashing-in-edit-lines/

4 minutes ago, Sauce said:

@seamor
Use this link, below to resolve the crashing.Ā  It's what I used on my 3on3 roms.Ā  It works.Ā  And while I don't mind you using my/slapshots rom, please take my wife's name out of the "thank you" credits on your future versions.Ā  That my easter egg, to my wife, for all of her patience when I do my work.

Congrats on your rom... there are a lot of 2v2 fans on this site who should be grinning now.
Ā 

Ā 

Ā 

1 minute ago, Sauce said:

@seamor
Use this link to resolve the crashing.Ā  It's what I used on my 3on3 roms.Ā  It works.

I just dug up the solution you sent me via PM to fix line change crashing and added it to that thread.

2 minutes ago, Sauce said:

And while I don't mind you using my/slapshots rom, please take my wife's name out of the "thank you" credits on your future versions.Ā 

No problem, easy fix!

5 hours ago, seamor said:

This is why.

OK, that makes sense. I hadn't seen that in so long that I forgot about it.

Would you be open to suggestions for more easter egg players for v1.1? That was half the fun for me, outside of playing it.

Edited by DeterminedApathy

11 hours ago, DeterminedApathy said:

OK, that makes sense. I hadn't seen that in so long that I forgot about it.

Would you be open to suggestions for more easter egg players for v1.1? That was half the fun for me, outside of playing it.

PM'ed you, reply to me with any ideas! I'm also making a few more spin-offs since this is actually a project for a PiCade I'm building, so even if they don't go in here, they'll see daylight eventually!

Edited by seamor

Just now, UltraMagnus said:

@seamorJust a quick question...how do you get the default to be only 2 players? Considering for the NHL95 versions of games. If your okay with it.Ā 

When editing lines in NOSE, set everyone except the G, LW, and C to HEX 0, leaving the spot empty. If you'd like to send over a ROM via PM, I can try to get the edit lines and player card limit stuff working to make it as crash proof as possible.

• Thanks 1

Ā 

5 minutes ago, seamor said:

When editing lines in NOSE, set everyone except the G, LW, and C to HEX 0, leaving the spot empty. If you'd like to send over a ROM via PM, I can try to get the edit lines and player card limit stuff working to make it as crash proof as possible.

Ā 

NHL 21(95).bin

@UltraMagnus 2 on 2 as the default won't work in 95 for me, since it seems like it reads player cards differently than 94, so it crashes immediately on the start up screen. This might help, try finding a similar HEX sequence to ones I describe in here. I'm not familiar with 95's inner workings. but feel free to PM me here or on Discord if any questions arise!

Ā 

Just now, UltraMagnus said:

@seamorĀ nothing was attached unless you didnt. lol.

I didn't attach any files. There should be a forum post embedded, if it isn't, just look at my how to limit player cards post in GENS hacking.

1 minute ago, seamor said:

@UltraMagnus 2 on 2 as the default won't work in 95 for me, since it seems like it reads player cards differently than 94, so it crashes immediately on the start up screen. This might help, try finding a similar HEX sequence to ones I describe in here. I'm not familiar with 95's inner workings. but feel free to PM me here or on Discord if any questions arise!

Ā 

Appreciate the try.Ā :thumbs_up:

Ill check it out to see if I can figure it out. Either way. Ive started to come up with some of the logos for the Fantasy Rom.Ā 

• Like 1

• Sean changed the title to NHL Jam 21 - 2 on 2!

Hi all,

Small quality of life update released today.

You'll find preset line combinations and a few small graphical tweaks.

It's available via the top post in the thread.

Currently play testing the next ROM in the series...

Edited by seamor

Hey @seamorthis ROM looks/sounds f**king fun as s**t. UnfortunatelyĀ (for me) I'm not really a gens player anymore and stick mostly to what i know, which these days is snes. So, uh, er, hmm, i guess my question is how many unique likes/subs/notifications do i need to round-up for your youtube channel in order to get you to f**k around and make a version ofĀ this for snes also? I'm only f**king around (for the most part), but just out of curiosity, do you mess around with snes ROMs ever also? Either way, nice work on this one. I'm looking forward to seeingĀ it in action.

DanK

13 hours ago, DanK said:

Hey @seamorthis ROM looks/sounds f**king fun as s**t. UnfortunatelyĀ (for me) I'm not really a gens player anymore and stick mostly to what i know, which these days is snes. So, uh, er, hmm, i guess my question is how many unique likes/subs/notifications do i need to round-up for your youtube channel in order to get you to f**k around and make a version ofĀ this for snes also? I'm only f**king around (for the most part), but just out of curiosity, do you mess around with snes ROMs ever also? Either way, nice work on this one. I'm looking forward to seeingĀ it in action.

DanK

I feel you, I was a SNES guy myself until I started hacking/playing online in draft leagues and such.

I thought about doing this on SNES because the sound/intro screen would've fit better on my arcade stand, but in all honesty, I just can't figure out how to hack it for the life of me, at least to the extent I am able to on Genesis. There's also no way to get things like 32 teams or custom logos as far as I know, which is a big turn off for me.

Happy to hear you like it though, I have another one coming out at some point this week!

• Like 1

v1.3 uploaded, this will be the finalĀ  penultimate update to this version. Removed one hidden player to avoid repetitiveness (similar to one already in the game, and one in the next ROM), and fixed Calgary's pants.

There will probably be a v2.0 at some point in the season.

Edited by seamor