NHL'94 Forums

Tecmo Super Bowl 3 - Editing Rosters

UltraMagnus

Hey Everyone. 

Ive been discussing with a few of the users on the site, specifically @SirPurr3 regarding updated TSB3 for Genesis. Since, there isnt an editor for SEGA, I've found a loop whole to edit the rosters through the NES/SNES editor. To do so, Ive created this step by step editing process to allow you do so yourself.

What you'll need:

• Tecmo Super Bowl Manager 2000. (Attached below)
  • A Version of TSB 3 for the genesis. (Attached below) 
  • HxD editor to make some the team name changes. (Attached below)

1. Download the 2 items, and extract the TSB3 editor and open it. Best case is to copy file first and rename it something else to keep the original file in tact. You will see why later.

2. Go to FILE and select IMPORT DATA and select your TSB3 rom.

image.png

3. At this stage it appears nothing has happened. But if you click on, EDIT, you will have the ability to DEFINE TEAMS/PLAYERS and GENERAL INFORMATION.

image.png

4. Next, select DEFINE TEAMS, and a pop window will open and select the drop down to find the team you are looking for. Lets say Oakland Raiders and select them.

image.png

5. At this point you can edit the city name, abbreviations, schedule name, and team name. Ive changed it to the LAS VEGAS RAIDERS and click APPLY. The name above will change to the new name. As you can see it has changed and than make all the changes you want and click APPLY for each team you change. Then, when finished with the team names, click OK.

image.pngimage.png

6. Next step, is to change some player names. Go to EDIT, and DEFINE PLAYERS. There will be a window that pops open and your will see the ARIZONA CARDINALS QBs. Go to the team(s) you want to change players on and following these steps. Will go to the RAIDERS. You'll see the team name is now LAS VEGAS.

• Update the names you want to see in the game. To prevent overlapping of the screen to wrap the names, which messes the screen up. Keep the play names to 16 characters (ie. Trayveon Williams would be the max letters. So, abbreviations should be used or initials where possible.) I choose DEREK CARR for this test.
  • To change their profile pic select the button DETAILS.
  • IMPORTANT to select the skin color and image you want and press OK. Click back on details if your unsure if you selected the right image.
  • Once, you've completed all the players you wanted to edit. Select OK in the bottom right.

image.png

image.png

image.png

image.png

image.png

7. MOST IMPORTANT STEP - Once your ready to save, please follow these steps to ensure everything sticks.

• Click FILE, and than EXPORT DATA
  • Find the file you would like to apply the changes to (This to make sure you keep the original in tact). Ill use the original for this. Select SAVE. 
  • Once, you click it a window will pop-up and this is important. 
  • Select AUTO, which will fill the team names, regardless if you made changes or not. Then, press NEXT. Do this for each division. This step is basically taking all your changes and applying them to the teams and players. It is important to make sure you do this everytime you make changes to the rom.
  • Once you finished all the teams to be added, click finished.

image.png

image.png

image.png

image.png

8. At this point, go to your emulator and test the game. You will see your changes applied as below with the team names and player update.

image.png

image.png

9. Some to spots where the team name hasn't changed, go into the HxD editor to make those changes to show in the game throughout.

image.png

At this point you should be set to get TSB3 experience in 2020!

Ive also attached the 2020-21 Season rom below that Ive completed with all the changes and teams, if interested. Also, Ill be doing an update of the graphics and logos, where possible.

tsbm2k-w-71update.rar Tecmo Super Bowl 3 Final Edition (U).bin HxD.rar Tecmo Super Bowl 3 '20.bin

• Love 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Like 1

Ugh 2 things. One, I couldn't get your manager to open when I Downloaded it, so I found one on another site and downloaded it there. Two, when I go to import data none of my Sega files are visible for me to select just SNES files. Not sure what I'm doing wrong.

• Like 1

Damn, this is cool. Although admittedly I really want a way to hack the old Madden games, this will be something I'd like to try.
I do have one question though, Is there a way to reduce the number of teams?
What really interests me is making a CFL version.

9 hours ago, UltraMagnus said:

The bin file is the sega version of the rom. Or it can be a md.file. 

I'll give it a try. 

So I downloaded a ROM converter SBWin 3.2.0 and took my Sega tsb1 rom which is a .gen file and converted it to a .bin file. I tried it in the manager and I can select it from import data but a get a message that reads "sorry support for that rom isn't available yet". 

9 hours ago, SirPurr3 said:

So I downloaded a ROM converter SBWin 3.2.0 and took my Sega tsb1 rom which is a .gen file and converted it to a .bin file. I tried it in the manager and I can select it from import data but a get a message that reads "sorry support for that rom isn't available yet". 

Yeah, unfortunately, the easiest way to edit the TSB 1 rom is through the HxD editor. Which is very time consuming, but possible. Ive done it before, but can't find the edited version anymore. 

• Like 1

Thanks to UltraMagnus guide, I ported the updated data from his genesis rom to a pair of TSBIII SNES roms by Fernando49 that already had logos updated.

Fernando49's roms came in two variants, one with Browns - Ravens and the other replacing those teams with Texans - Titans. I also updated Ravens and Titans which were not featured on the genesis rom, but sadly Washington Footbal Team's logo remains as Redskins, as I lack the knowledge to replace the graphic. Feel free to check them and fix my mistakes, as I'm a noob at this, so there may be some.

Tecmo Super Bowl III - Final Edition 2020 [Browns - Ravens] (Hack).smc Tecmo Super Bowl III - Final Edition 2020 [Texans - Titans] (Hack).smc

Edited by EmpireBowl
  • Love 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 11/19/2020 at 4:33 PM, UltraMagnus said:

Yeah, unfortunately, the easiest way to edit the TSB 1 rom is through the HxD editor. Which is very time consuming, but possible. Ive done it before, but can't find the edited version anymore. 

Hey so I've found the locations needed for most of the editing. They are playbook: 4CC4, offensive formations: 5104, names: 5F64, attributes: 8A0E, offensive preference: B596, and sim data: DEA8E, if anybody else is interested also. The formations were tricky because they have the 2 back set at 00 but the 3WR is 04 and 4WR is 08. The only thing I don't know how to do is the names. Do you know how to do them? I'm assuming it has to do with the pointers to make more space, which I have no clue of doing. I would really love to make an '88 version of the game. Thanks

• 1 month later...

@UltraMagnusdo you know to edit the mini helmets? i can edit the big ones cant figure out the mini. is there a way to delete them off the map? i can get parts of them deleted but not the whole helmet. on Fernando49 rom he changed the oilers helmet to the ravens, not sure if he did it with tile layer or not. 

• 2 months later...

the main problem with using the tsb2000 manager for tsb3 genesis is they drop your kickers attributes to 6-19 in their kicking stats after exporting. i know of over 20 years of using it.

Edited by kefkaroth