NHL 94 Rewind - Complete List of Differences


Recommended Posts

Trying to catalogue all the differences... Work in Progress...

Some of the differences are shown in the "What's Different in NHL'94 Rewind?" video.

I'll refer to buttons as the XBox buttons. A=bottom, B=right, X=left, Y=top.

Startup:

  • Alexander Ovechkin splash screen instead of the original "EA" logo and "NHL Hockey 94" splash screen.
  • Credits are not shown on this splash screen like in the original, other than FMOD, Arsenal, and Empty Clip studios.

Main Menu:

  • "Profile" entry with your xbox username (haven't tried it with a 2nd account yet to see what exactly it does, how it works with 2-player...)
  • The game remembers your previous setup (teams, period length, penalties, etc)
  • "Side Art" changes the art used to fill the edges of widescreen TVs
  • "Controls" shows a static image of the controls
  • It would have been cool if they transcribed the original manual into a "Manual" or "Guide" menu item.
  • "Credits" shows the credits, instead of below the splash screen
  • "Legal" shows legal blahblah

Controller Selection Screen

  • This screen is new! It's like the one in SNES and later games. Very cool.

"Y Exit"

  • At any time you can press the Y button to bring up a menu with the options "Resume Game", "Change Side Art", "Controls", and "Exit Game".
  • Exit Game takes you back to the Main Menu of NHL 94 Rewind (not your XBox/PS OS)

Ron Barr

  • All the arenas are called EA SPORTS Arena.
  • Ron is still wrong about who is HOT or COLD. For example in a game I played, Malkin was 99 Overall (normally 93) but wasn't called HOT. Guentzel was just 75 (normally 79) and was called HOT.

Graphics:

  • I'm still undecided on whether I like their portraits or not, the particular dithering they used. I find them a little blotchy but maybe that can't be helped. Morgan Rielly looks terrible. Auston Matthews' nostrilololololos. Some look fine.
  • Players have custom skin tones. There are at least 2.

Language:

  • The game is 'localized' and displays in your language. I've seen a French(France) version in a facebook post.

Bug Fixes:

  • They fixed the weight bug.
  • They fixed the "edit lines ratings are wrong", so that the ratings you see are the real ratings of the players that game (properly reflecting the random hot/coldness of each player)

New Bugs:

  • You can sometimes duplicate player in the Edit Lines menu. For example, if you play as the Leafs (No line changes mode) and set Marner as your centre, he will be your centre, but also still be your RW! On your first shift, you'll have 2 Marners on the ice. After that the RW goes away and you're shorthanded until you set valid lines.
  • Sometimes when you pull your goalie, he doesn't leave. And then if you put the goalie back, sometimes only THEN does he leave the ice.
  • Lots of people have experienced game crashes, which I suspect are due to editing lines. Such as when getting penalties.
  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

fights? line brawls?!  goalie fights!?  70s mode with bench clearning brawls!? fan fights!?

headbutting?! intent to injure with suspensions!?

* sigh *

 

i think EA should hire smozoma as project developer for the update

 

 

Edited by 77
  • Like 3
Link to post
Share on other sites

It's kinda sad that they couldn't draw inspiration from mine or @skip/slapshot67's or @naples39's current season roms.  Especially, as that is what NHL Rewind is ...current rosters in the NHL94 skin!  Ours contain the wonderful fixes, patches or enhancements created by @smozoma, @clockwise and @slapshot67.  Fixes that improved what was already a classic.  Take those enhancements/changes, throw in the new/cool custom skin tones feature, the new controller select screen, the achievement awards and make it available for online play.  BOOM!  Instantly better than their current NHL product line.

They know of this forum/community.  So, I highly doubt they don't know of the work/roms that are being created here.  Especially, as VGK used Naples39's rom, as a GIF, on its twitter account (when they would win). 

NHL Rewind is a lazy cash-grab incentive for buying NHL21.  Color me shocked!  End rant.  :)

 

Edited by Sauce
  • Like 3
  • Love 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Sauce said:

It's kinda sad that they couldn't draw inspiration from mine or @skip/slapshot67's or @naples39's current season roms.  Especially, as that is what NHL Rewind is ...current rosters in the NHL94 skin!  Ours contain the wonderful fixes, patches or enhancements created by @smozoma, @clockwise and @slapshot67.  Fixes that improved what was already a classic.  Take those enhancements/changes, throw in the new/cool custom skin tones feature, the new controller select screen, the achievement awards and make it available for online play.  BOOM!  Instantly better than their current NHL product line.

They know of this forum/community.  So, I highly doubt they don't know of the work/roms that are being created here.  Especially, as VGK used Naples39's rom, as a GIF, on its twitter account (when they would win). 

NHL Rewind is a lazy cash-grab incentive for buying NHL21.  Color me shocked!  End rant.  :)

 

I agree, I was very surprised they wouldn't use one of the current season ROMs as a base. To me it's also obvious they had to have used a 32-team ROM as a base to work off of, so why not use one that's already set up, and give you credit?

Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, 77 said:

i want fighting

It's just a distraction if it's the way it was in 93.
Fighting in hockey video games should mean that if you win, you don't have to sit in the box but your opponent does.

I could look past all the **** EA didn't add if they just made the game playable online with quick matches, private matches, and a leaderboard.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
56 minutes ago, clockwise said:

It's just a distraction if it's the way it was in 93.
Fighting in hockey video games should mean that if you win, you don't have to sit in the box but your opponent does.

I could look past all the **** EA didn't add if they just made the game playable online with quick matches, private matches, and a leaderboard.

My thinking on this...

They've said they might add online play if there is enough demand for it. But without online play, I just don't see much demand for this game. It's a chicken/egg problem. If the game had online play, I think it would make money for them - basic initial demand will be higher, demand for the game will grow because there's a scene to participate in, and they could release new $15 updates every year.

They already have online matchmaking systems so it shouldn't be toooo hard to make it work. The one issue could be, as always, the game's internals are not coded to deal with online lag; so they either need to add modern netcode to the game somehow, or just accept that it'll have lag like the Tecmo reboot did.

Once they have that kind of self-sustaining system going, they could choose to augment the game with fighting, seasons, AI improvements...

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, chaos said:

I agree, I was very surprised they wouldn't use one of the current season ROMs as a base. To me it's also obvious they had to have used a 32-team ROM as a base to work off of, so why not use one that's already set up, and give you credit?

What really kills me is, how could they have not put the trapezoid or new goalie crease in the latest version???  The players are from 2020 but the rink is from 1994.  LAZINESS!!!

Link to post
Share on other sites

 

2 hours ago, chaos said:

I agree, I was very surprised they wouldn't use one of the current season ROMs as a base. To me it's also obvious they had to have used a 32-team ROM as a base to work off of, so why not use one that's already set up, and give you credit?

The rom they use is 33 team, and the rink graphics are all vanilla, so I think they modified their own ROM.  No Winnipeg freeze issue either.  

I'm trying to get answers for you guys!  Let's just say I'm plugged into the Empty Clip Studio guys with my questions, but they are just slammed right now.  Should they get the green light from EA to update, online play and other bugs are on the table.  It's just in EA's court now.  

  • Thanks 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, smozoma said:

My thinking on this...

They've said they might add online play if there is enough demand for it. But without online play, I just don't see much demand for this game. It's a chicken/egg problem. If the game had online play, I think it would make money for them - basic initial demand will be higher, demand for the game will grow because there's a scene to participate in, and they could release new $15 updates every year.

They already have online matchmaking systems so it shouldn't be toooo hard to make it work. The one issue could be, as always, the game's internals are not coded to deal with online lag; so they either need to add modern netcode to the game somehow, or just accept that it'll have lag like the Tecmo reboot did.

Once they have that kind of self-sustaining system going, they could choose to augment the game with fighting, seasons, AI improvements...

This is the first time I've felt like crowd funding might actually be a possibility. 

The community would need to prove to EA, by putting their money up front, that we'd pay for an updated version of the game. Not just an updated roster. 

I don't think they'd budge for under 100k.

Things like:

  • Higher resolutions so we can see the rest of the rink instead of black bars.
  • 4 lines and a roster editor.
  • team and uniform editor.
  • Matchmaking.
  • Multitap for 5 player games
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, clockwise said:

This is the first time I've felt like crowd funding might actually be a possibility. 

The community would need to prove to EA, by putting their money up front, that we'd pay for an updated version of the game. Not just an updated roster. 

I don't think they'd budge for under 100k.

Things like:

  • Higher resolutions so we can see the rest of the rink instead of black bars.
  • 4 lines and a roster editor.
  • team and uniform editor.
  • Matchmaking.
  • Multitap for 5 player games

I think EA has a 100k in petty cash. If they wanted to, they can do it.

Edited by angryjay93
Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, angryjay93 said:

I think EA has a 100k in petty cash. If they wanted to, they can do it.

100% agree.  EA's FY net revenue earnings, for 2020, was $5.5B.  

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
39 minutes ago, angryjay93 said:

I think EA has a 100k in petty cash. If they wanted to, they can do it.

The point is, there's no incentive to remake the game unless we, collectively, show we're willing to put up at least 100k with pre-orders through crowdsourcing or kickstarting it. 

If we could get several thousand people to donate $20.00 towards the campaign, EA might take it seriously. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, 77 said:

https://store.playstation.com/en-us/product/UP0006-CUSA24010_00-NHL94RPRESTANDED

does that say online play!?

 

you know this is just a rom and emulator repackage... has anyone looked at the game files yet!?  xbox or ps

We spotted that a couple of weeks ago, but the community's prevailing theory at this point is that they just took the listing for NHL '21 and reused it for this.  I seriously doubt that they could pull off 12 players simultaneously in NHL '94 Rewind.  But you never know.

Link to post
Share on other sites
19 hours ago, MonkeyHead said:

I woukd like to know why this version has no freeze bug rather a lot. How was it fixed?

I'm pretty sure the freeze bug is due to the game trying to read player records scoring data from the SRAM (battery backup) and it reads into an area beyond where it's supposed to and gets invalid data, causing it to crash. For some reason Kega handles it properly (Kega probably detects that it read where it shouldn't and returns a value of 0, whereas Gens just reads whatever is there anyway so it gets some bad data that puts the game in an infinite loop or corruption due to buffer overflow).

I tried to look into this but couldn't figure it out at first. I need to spend more time on it.

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 11/21/2020 at 9:16 AM, angryjay93 said:

I'll sign something but I'm not giving them money when they could literally just fart the amount out.

Kickstarting is akin to pre-ordering. 

On 11/20/2020 at 4:59 PM, kingraph said:

What we really need is a connection at EA that has an ear to listen.  

We can start with Sean.

Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, don16086 said:

Does Rewind play online?

No. Although on the PlayStation you can use PlayShare to share your screen and play online with someone that way (both of you must have a subscription to whatever the PlayStation equivalent of "xbox live" is)

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.