NHL'94 Forums

NHL 94 Champion Edition - Greatest Teams of All-Time ROM

Sean

Forum Upload.jpg

NHL 94 Champion Edition v1.2.bin

v.1.1 posted 11/30/20, removed 12/1/20, 21 downloads.

v1.0 posted 11/30/20, removed same day, 11 downloads.

Features

• 32 Teams, representing some of the best eras of each franchise. Every franchise except for CBJ, FLA, NSH, VGK (and technically WPG/ATL I guess) appears at least once.
    • Not every team won a cup, but those who did received an overall boost, and special flair at center ice!
    • I tried to limit it to one team per era, so while yes, the Oilers probably have 3 of the Top 10 teams ever from their run in the 80s, I only put in the 1984 Oilers since their core was the same for the most part. On the contrary, the '02 Red Wings and '08 Red Wings are both in to reflect the change from Yzerman-Fedorov to Datsyuk-Zetterberg.
    • Most teams have 3 full lines, a sub, and 2 goalies. All lines are "best case scenario", just because of the limited information on older teams, I made everything the same or at the least, very close for each team as to make 1v1 play balanced.
    • No helmets? No problem! All teams from 1977 and earlier grace the ice with majestic flow!
    • To accommodate for the play styles of ole, and the endless possibilities on the ice, there's no more position locks. Forwards can play defense, and vice versa.
  • Doc Emrick takes one last gig at the legendary EASN before retiring!
  • Player cards for all starters and updated music for each team.

Thank Yous

Known Bugs

• The Sudden Death game style doesn't work in the playoffs, because of how the game treats OT compared to the Regular Season mode.
  • There were some compromises to "crash proof" the game.
    • I use the Winnipeg Freeze Bug fix that destroys the User Records, so player cards are broken.
  • Some of the logos get jacked up on the Ron Barr screen. I have no idea why. I'll try to have them a bit more smooth in my next project.
  • Some of the numbers are probably wrong. The NHL.com roster archive seems like it needs some work, but most stars and starters should be accurate.
Edited by seamor
  • Love 1
  • Thanks 2
  • Like 1

Updated with fix for Brett Hull's number, Adam Graves' player card fixed, and longer time for penalty shots.

Also, game will occasionally crash after playing an exhibition game.

@seamor

Nice job!

This is a rom that I have often thought about making, of course mine would have ended with the 1994 Rangers when the NHL cease to exist in my mind.

Here is some feedback, from my perspective.

I really didn't look at anything after the 94 Rangers.

Amazing Center Ice logos with the Stanley Cup included for Cup Winners and Historically accurate logos, especially 51 Leafs and 52 Wings.

Sponsor logo leaves something to be desired.

1930 Bruins? why not 1929 when they won the Cup?  Better Regular Season?  They also look like they are helmetless which is really cool.

51 Leafs Many numbers are wrong check my 1951 rom for accurate numbers.  Ted Kennedy and Billy Bariliko should be starting.

52 Wings Production Line is wrong.  Abel at Center and Teddy at LW.

Pave, Skov, and Leswick should be checking line.  Best ever.

56 Habs Bert Olmstead should be line 1 LW.  Kent Mosdell should be Line 2 center.

67 Hawks?  why not 61 again I'm guessing Regular Season.  Doug Mohns was a forward at this point of his career not a Dman.

Tried to stay away from ratings but Bobby Hull 55 Shot Power and 80 Speed???  

72 B's Orr played Right D and was partnered with Dallas Smith.

Line 1 Espo, Hodge, and Cashman.

I think I also have some better player cards you could steal from my roms for these teams.

80 Sabres??  Why not 75?  French Connection Lost in Finals.

No 60's Leafs Teams?

I hate the modern ice but what are you gonna do about that.

Overall incredibly good work.

• Thanks 1

56 minutes ago, CoachMac said:

@seamor

Nice job!

This is a rom that I have often thought about making, of course mine would have ended with the 1994 Rangers when the NHL cease to exist in my mind.

Here is some feedback, from my perspective.

I really didn't look at anything after the 94 Rangers.

Amazing Center Ice logos with the Stanley Cup included for Cup Winners and Historically accurate logos, especially 51 Leafs and 52 Wings.

Sponsor logo leaves something to be desired.

1930 Bruins? why not 1929 when they won the Cup?  Better Regular Season?  They also look like they are helmetless which is really cool.

51 Leafs Many numbers are wrong check my 1951 rom for accurate numbers.  Ted Kennedy and Billy Bariliko should be starting.

52 Wings Production Line is wrong.  Abel at Center and Teddy at LW.

Pave, Skov, and Leswick should be checking line.  Best ever.

56 Habs Bert Olmstead should be line 1 LW.  Kent Mosdell should be Line 2 center.

67 Hawks?  why not 61 again I'm guessing Regular Season.  Doug Mohns was a forward at this point of his career not a Dman.

Tried to stay away from ratings but Bobby Hull 55 Shot Power and 80 Speed???  

72 B's Orr played Right D and was partnered with Dallas Smith.

Line 1 Espo, Hodge, and Cashman.

I think I also have some better player cards you could steal from my roms for these teams.

80 Sabres??  Why not 75?  French Connection Lost in Finals.

No 60's Leafs Teams?

I hate the modern ice but what are you gonna do about that.

Overall incredibly good work.

Thanks! I’ll definitely make some adjustments for a v1.2, no reason not to have it be a living breathing thing. And for the team choices, a good amount of it was driven by regular season since as a Lightning fan, that’s all I had to cling to after 2019 :).

Balancing also also a big part of team choices, so unless it was the absolute only way to fit in a team (see ‘84 Nordiques, ‘06 Ottawa, ‘07 Sharks), I avoided doubling up on years as much as I could, which (along with the aforementioned strong regular season) is why I went with the ‘80 Sabres over ‘75, which already had Philly.

I’ll definitely make some changes to the lines/positions using your feedback, I tried to match-up TOI data for the modern players, but I was really left at the mercy of hockey-reference for the older teams, so it’s nice to have a proofreader of sorts!

I’ll have to bump Hull’s shot and skating for sure, I really didn’t know they were that low.

For the sponsor logo, it’s just a personal easter egg. I may change it, since obviously it doesn’t translate to a crowd outside of myself and a few close friends :).

I have Zoom Meetings all day tomorrow, so I don’t see why I can’t have a v1.2 out by tomorrow night!

Edited by seamor
I typed this up at midnight while trying to beat Mario World, so it was incoherent.

v1.2 posted!

Thanks to @CoachMac for acting as a beta tester of sorts and giving me some amazing feedback. As of a result, the following changes have been made:

• A few small line-up and ratings tweaks, while still maintaining "best case scenario" style lines. Player cards updated accordingly.
  • Every team before 1979 now is helmet-less. This should help to make the on-ice experience a bit more fun.
  • There's now no distinction between defensemen and forwards. Anyone can play anywhere!
  • The Winnipeg Freeze Fix that @Sauce dug up is now the one in the game, which means the player cards sadly won't open.
  • There's a familiar logo in the sponsor section now :)

File is attached in the first post!

20 hours ago, Europia79 said:

Looks good:  Also, the checksum at offset 18E should be DB05 (for v1.2).

Is the game crashing for you? I haven't had any issues yet, but was planning on updating it soon since Brodeur's player card is wrong, so if it is I can look into it.

• 1 month later...

This is exactly what EA should have done. A "champion edition" then again we all know EA is devoid of any original thinking. I love what you did here. I'm currently building a mini Gen game roster and this is definitely going it there. I had thought of this idea, but my version started with the 83 Islanders, and moved forward to present from there. I would have put in the 94 Canucks with Trevor Linden and Pavel Bure for sure. But this is close enough to that dream. The only thing I don't like is the score box on the lower right corner which shows the year (which isn't necessary) then letter or team like 30B 0. (1930 Boston) It really doesn't look right. It kinda looks like a number glitch actually. So ya thats my only gripe. Anyway great job though! I've posted elsewere here on potentially hacking the display settings of NHL94 to output 480i and have vertical display out. So you can see 2/3rds of the ice and all the players. Now that would be a dream game.

Is there a later version of Champ Edition coming? a 1.3