NHL 2021 by naples39


Recommended Posts

1.1 update:
-Rosters as of February 14
-Some ratings updates
-New title screen

ivzxO7G.png

Okay, 1.0 release is ready!

The usuals:
-Updated rosters, logos, graphics, and player portraits for all NLC starters
-clockwise sprite hack, smoz 3-stars hack, weight bug fix, and speed burst set to 75% of original rom
-Several graphic hacks for crease, benches, goal light, faceoff boxes, etc...

Unique to this year:
-All teams are using reverse retro jerseys to replace their away/light or home/dark as applicable! (see screen shots)
-COL, MIN, and WPG with special anniversary center ice logos
-Players who are out long term but may return at some point (Toews, Kucherov, Tarasenko...) are on the roster but on the bench. Players out for year (Klefbom) removed from roster.

All feedback always welcome! I do not plan on doing constant updates, but may do a quick 1.01 update for bugs (and/or if Dubois is traded in the next few days)

 

5qofkrB.png8x2ZgeJ.pngVFnGYUV.pngRHFcuH7.pngl8geoOr.png6qp0aT1.pngxg7BZ4i.png

nhl 2021 by naples39 12-4 beta.bin

NHL 2021 by naples39.zip

NHL 2021 by naples39 1.1.bin

Edited by naples39
  • Like 1
  • Love 2
  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Just noticed that the game freezes when you choose Anaheim or Washington for some playoffs. You can't go from one top to the other when you are choosing your team. Don't remember how to fix that, must be by changing the playoffs tree with nose I guess? 

I tried the rom with an emulator on my snes mini.

Edited by mitch13
Link to post
Share on other sites
27 minutes ago, mitch13 said:

Just noticed that the game freezes when you choose Anaheim or Washington for some playoffs. You can't go from one top to the other when you are choosing your team. Don't remember how to fix that, must be by changing the playoffs tree with nose I guess? 

I tried the rom with an emulator on my snes mini.

Add the 32nd team to the Playoff tree, in NOSE, and it won't freeze.  Or, in EARE, make it so there are only 31 teams in the playoff possibilities.

  • Love 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 2 weeks later...

Love it, as always!  Thanks so much!  I absolutely love the idea of having a version with the reverse retro uniforms!  Just a SMALL change I noticed...apparently the Penguins are wearing their white helmets with their reverse retros after all (boo).  NHL 21 just recently made this change.  Any chance this version sticks around as an alternate version once I'm assuming you switch the jerseys back to the teams' "regular" ones?  Also, (a pipe dream, since I'm totally ignorant as to how to do such things) any chance we could see the teams' reverse retro logos on the menu screens to go with such a version? That'd be awesome.  

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 12/23/2020 at 3:01 PM, brianski71 said:

Love it, as always!  Thanks so much!  I absolutely love the idea of having a version with the reverse retro uniforms!  Just a SMALL change I noticed...apparently the Penguins are wearing their white helmets with their reverse retros after all (boo).  NHL 21 just recently made this change.  Any chance this version sticks around as an alternate version once I'm assuming you switch the jerseys back to the teams' "regular" ones?  Also, (a pipe dream, since I'm totally ignorant as to how to do such things) any chance we could see the teams' reverse retro logos on the menu screens to go with such a version? That'd be awesome.  

I will update the jerseys when the season starts. I was using screen shots from NHL21 as a guide for pants and helmets, but will verify everything for the 1.0 release.

I will probably not do a normal version and a reverse retro jersey version, or have retro logos. I like having the reverse retro jerseys this year to mix things up and make this year's ROM unique, and I don't have the interest or time to maintain parallel versions.

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 4 weeks later...
On 12/24/2020 at 10:53 PM, naples39 said:

I will update the jerseys when the season starts. I was using screen shots from NHL21 as a guide for pants and helmets, but will verify everything for the 1.0 release.

I will probably not do a normal version and a reverse retro jersey version, or have retro logos. I like having the reverse retro jerseys this year to mix things up and make this year's ROM unique, and I don't have the interest or time to maintain parallel versions.

Any idea when your season opener rom is begin released?

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/16/2021 at 7:05 PM, Tabs3121 said:

Any idea when your season opener rom is begin released?

I’m out of town until Wednesday, so once I get back it’s a matter of how fast I can work finalizing rosters based on opening day squads.  Hopefully just a few days.

Link to post
Share on other sites

I put this on Social media today. thanks again for your hard work and contribution to the community!

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Tabs3121 said:

Great work on the rom. Sucks that right after releasing it, one of the biggest trades in recent NHL history happens.

Shouldn't be that big a deal, although I didn't expect the trade to literally come within 12 hours LOL. I'll give it a few days to see if anyone catches a few bugs and then I'll upload a new version.

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites

Hi! With Nikita Kucherov out for the season, do you have any plans to switch out his picture for someone else at the start of the game? 

Thanks so much for all your fantastic work on your yearly mod! -Sean

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2/1/2021 at 10:43 AM, dwyersp said:

Hi! With Nikita Kucherov out for the season, do you have any plans to switch out his picture for someone else at the start of the game? 

Thanks so much for all your fantastic work on your yearly mod! -Sean

Yeah, it is pretty goofy to have Kucherov as startup pic now! I'm open to suggestions for a new pic/player.

Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, naples39 said:

Yeah, it is pretty goofy to have Kucherov as startup pic now! I'm open to suggestions for a new pic/player.

I think someone like Nathan MacKinnon would be good. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Hedman / Draisaitl / Pastrnak.

Or Kucherov. When he's out for the season, keep him as a face of NHL 21. 

Edited by DominikJagr
Link to post
Share on other sites

Great Job naples39, I love the artwork that you put into your rom hacks. I have noticed however that Patrick Marleau is listed at a Righty in your romhacks. He is a Lefty IRL, and I know modding rosters and getting the right info correct through hundreds of players is very tedious. I have fixed his hand placement in the roms that I have downloaded via Hex workshop. I just wanted to let you know that this is an on going issue in your Roms. Keep up the great work. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2/7/2021 at 7:57 PM, l o f i - poutine said:

Great Job naples39, I love the artwork that you put into your rom hacks. I have noticed however that Patrick Marleau is listed at a Righty in your romhacks. He is a Lefty IRL, and I know modding rosters and getting the right info correct through hundreds of players is very tedious. I have fixed his hand placement in the roms that I have downloaded via Hex workshop. I just wanted to let you know that this is an on going issue in your Roms. Keep up the great work. 

Thanks! I can't get possibly catch everything by myself so I appreciate the tip.

Link to post
Share on other sites

And thanks for the suggestions on new cover shot.

I'll look for a cool shot of Pasta/MacKinnon/McDavid/Hedman...someone like that, but probably the coolest shot I find will win. :)

Link to post
Share on other sites

Amazing work! 

For those who use programs like RetroPie to play these NHL94 games, here is a quick custom cover art I made for Naples39's mod. 

NHL 2021-image (6).png

 

 

 

Edited by dwyersp
larger image
  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2/16/2021 at 2:17 PM, naples39 said:

Bump for new rom upload, v1.1 with updated rosters, ratings, and a new title screen.

As a Penguins fan, I am troubled by the omission of Pierre-Olivier Joseph (Zach Trotman can be dumped), and it's Zach Aston-Reese, not Auston-Reese.  Two little nits I'm picking for what is otherwise a great ROM!

Link to post
Share on other sites
23 hours ago, The Dopefish said:

As a Penguins fan, I am troubled by the omission of Pierre-Olivier Joseph (Zach Trotman can be dumped), and it's Zach Aston-Reese, not Auston-Reese.  Two little nits I'm picking for what is otherwise a great ROM!

Thanks. I will make those changes!

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2/19/2021 at 5:06 PM, dwyersp said:

Amazing work! 

For those who use programs like RetroPie to play these NHL94 games, here is a quick custom cover art I made for Naples39's mod. 

NHL 2021-image (6).png

 

 

 

If you are using RetroArch or anything like it, you might be interested in this: https://forum.nhl94.com/index.php?/topic/20083-la-tormentas-cover-collection-work-in-progress

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

  • Who's Online   0 Members, 0 Anonymous, 11 Guests (See full list)

    There are no registered users currently online