NHL'94 Forums

Swedish Elite Series games

von Ozbourne

I know what you're thinking. "But... why?"
And the answer is: Because it was there, I guess.
And besides, we have enough guys doing such great work on the 94 ROMs. I got to find some way to contribute.

The Swedish Elitserien games always intrigued me, and since my modding experiences the previous month was almost exclusively research, spreadsheet and data entry based, I figured I can tackle something quick and easy. Like a translation mod.

Mostly I'm interested in exploiting the 12-team, 44-game season in '95 for a GM-mode hockey pool, but I needed the menus to be in English first. With that out of the way, it's also a difference from the originals that is well suited to Olympic, World Championships and some Euro leagues. So, look forward to that some time.

For now, I figured I can share the translated versions. The caveat being that due to some changes in the code when when Neurostone converted it, I wasn't able to make the translations 100% accurate to the NHL games. So I had some fun with it in a google translate sort of way, while also having to get creative with some text to avoid breaking the code.

Some before and after.
Elite Series 95
image.pngimage.png

image.pngimage.png

image.pngimage.png

And Elite Series 96
image.pngimage.png

image.pngimage.png

image.pngimage.png
(I have no idea where HV71 is picking up that extra 'T')

EliteSeries 95.bin

EliteSeries 96.bin

Edited by von Ozbourme
updated rom
  • Thanks 2
  • Like 1

Had a sudden brainwave while making dinner and realized my mistake.
I was looking at text in a hex editor when I should have been at sprites in a tile editor.
[and then counted the tiles, so then I could go to the hex editor and find the arrangement code]
and lo and behold, there's the culprit.
image.png
So all I had to do was change the double 002E tile code to 0000 [well technically shifted everyone else over to fix the centering] and there we go, much better now.
image.png

On a side note:
While scrolling through the tiles and code, I stumbled on a couple of easter eggs that I thought were cool.
image.png

Neurostone apparently thought of putting their own team name bar in there a year before EA and THQ decided to add their own teams to 97 and 98.
This is found at the bottom after the All-Star teams.
No logo however, just Ottawa through Winnipeg left in there after the Swedish teams were pasted over the first 14 logos.

And right at the bottom of the hex code, just before the empty space, there was this:

image.png

Although unlike the early days when programmers had to hide their names in the code because the publisher refused to give them credit, John and Anders are credited as programming and data processing. But hey, it's fun to find stuff like this.

Edited by von Ozbourme

On 12/8/2020 at 3:12 AM, MonkeyHead said:

As a long term idea, I was thinking about making a EIHL ROM in 95. The 12 team Elitserien variant of base 95 makes that so much easier - hope you have no objections to me maybe using it in the future.

Nah that's cool. That's part of why I posted the clean translation before I started messing around with it myself.

I will offer a warning though, I didn't do anything in regards to the artwork, and I know from editing the NHL versions of 95 and 96 that the logos and team banners, etc, are not as easy to change as with wboy's 94 ROM. The good news though, is that the colour palette and tile ordering code in both games is usually directly after the specific sprite tiles themselves. So once you get familiar how they work, you can edit all of the logos to your liking.

• Thanks 1