NHL'94 Forums

NHL Pond Hockey - 4 on 4 & Outdoor ROM

Sean

Forum Upload.jpg

NHL Pond Hockey v1.0.bin

v1.0 posted 12/7/20

Features

• Outdoor hockey! Most things have been snow-ified (is that a word?), and the rink itself has an outdoor design to it.
  • The gameplay is 4 on 4, just to give it more of a spacious, pond hockey feel. There are no locked positions, so feel free to load your line-up with defensemen or forwards.
  • Every NHL team has 12 skaters, 1 goalie, and retro style graphics. Players were picked on mostly skill basis, but some fan favorites snuck in.
  • Sudden Death is back again.
  • 32nd team is the "Durham Bombers". It's just myself, family, and friends, along with a few Actua Ice Hockey 2 style knockoffs of active NHLers. They're almost entirely a sub-50 overall team, so they exist to provide a bit more of a challenge in solo play. This was originally a companion ROM to another I was planning on doing where you play with them through various tournaments and upgrade the line-up over time, I just don't have the time or energy to really do that justice right now. Probably in a few weeks.

Thank you to...

• @TheTome's Ball Hockey ROM served as the inspiration and a working reference for this, I don't know if he's around anymore, but it was helpful nonetheless!
  • @slapshot67 and @smozoma answered a lot of my dumb questions along the way.
  • @Sauce's 32-team ROM was again my working base for ratings here. A few changes for arcadey-ness, team balancing, and players I thought deserved (or didn't deserve) a bump.

Known Bugs

• Player cards will not open on account of Winnipeg Freeze Bug fix that was used to set up the game.
  • The kid who bangs on the glass is still in the game. I cannot find his sprite for the life of me.
  • One of the referee pop-ups looks like the abominable snowman.
  • Don't play with penalties on. I just didn't set up PP and PK lines, since I really don't like them that much (and who the hell calls penalties in pond hockey?).

Plans Moving Forward

• Fix any issues that people point out to me moving forward.
  • Try to create a solo campaign ROM by January.
  • Make a roller hockey version of both ROMs when spring/summer comes around (perhaps 3 on 3 just to differentiate).
  • Yearly updates could be fun (especially once Seattle comes around).
Edited by seamor
  • Thanks 1
  • Like 1
  • Wow 1

Looks nice!

Would be cool if there were some graphics glitch hack that would cause static on the screen, which would look like snow falling :). Nothing comes to mind though.

Great work. I feel I missed the reference on not Ron Barr, but it's funny nonetheless.

although... since it's pond hockey, might I offer this?
I may have been inspired to edit this into the NHA 1910 ROM from... I want to say Coach Mac made it?

Edited by von Ozbourme
  • Like 2

8 hours ago, CoachMac said:

Throwback players and teams?

I might do something like that at some point. Doing this with ‘94 Rosters seems like an obvious choice, but other historic seasons jump out as well. 

This actually started out as a throwback roster ROM, with best/fan favorites for each team, but I was having a hard time capturing a certain arcadeyness for it. 

6 hours ago, smozoma said:

Would be cool if there were some graphics glitch hack that would cause static on the screen, which would look like snow falling :). Nothing comes to mind though.

I could try putting it where the old crowd tiles were, since they move during play, just not over the ice. 

5 hours ago, von Ozbourme said:

Great work. I feel I missed the reference on not Ron Barr, but it's funny nonetheless.

I may have been inspired to edit this into the NHA 1910 ROM from... I want to say Coach Mac made it?

Could you PM me the ROM so I could take a look? That seems like it’d be perfect over the no zamboni approach I took. 
I think that ROM is by @Jkline3.

Can you release other versions of Pond Hockey ? ...Like 1on1, 2on2, 3on3 ?  Would that be fairly easy ?  ...Or would it be too time consuming ?

At first, I was little perplexed at no penalties, but now that I think about it... I think you are right... It makes a more fair matchup in online games, i guess ? (by removing RNG)

Also, how did you choose the rosters ?  ...because it wasn't that long ago that Mike Ribeiro played for the Nashville Preadators...

...he's one of my favorites because of his amazing stick handling & sic shoot-out goals !

1 hour ago, Europia79 said:

Can you release other versions of Pond Hockey ? ...Like 1on1, 2on2, 3on3 ?  Would that be fairly easy ?  ...Or would it be too time consuming ?

I would be easyish, and I thought about it a little bit, but decided against it since I already do the NHL Jam stuff for 2 on 2, Sauce does 3 on3 (and I'm planning on making a roller hockey ROM in 3 on 3 style too), so I figured I'd just make this its own thing.

2 hours ago, Europia79 said:

At first, I was little perplexed at no penalties, but now that I think about it... I think you are right... It makes a more fair matchup in online games, i guess ? (by removing RNG)

Penalties are kind of annoying when playing, and quite honestly don't add much to the game for me (other than the b-check), and getting them to work properly in a non-5 on 5 ROM is a bit of a hassle, so this has been my golden opportunity to 86 them :)

2 hours ago, Europia79 said:

Also, how did you choose the rosters ?

12 best and/or fan favorite skaters and goalie on each NHL teams active roster.

18 hours ago, von Ozbourme said:

That is awesome! Could you send that to me too?

Hello Seamor, I did the tedious task of converting your rom to 3 on 3...I used the forward positions, no defencemen, do you want me to post the resulted rom here as it is your rom and thought I ask you first.  Feel free to pm me if you want me to pm a 3 on 3 version of your rom by me.  Great work by the way!! Cheers!!

42 minutes ago, I got the puck said:

Hello Seamor, I did the tedious task of converting your rom to 3 on 3...I used the forward positions, no defencemen, do you want me to post the resulted rom here as it is your rom and thought I ask you first.  Feel free to pm me if you want me to pm a 3 on 3 version of your rom by me.  Great work by the way!! Cheers!!

Sounds like fun, feel free to share here. Did you use the line change hack to make the edit lines screen work? I can do that for you at some point in the next few days if you’d like. 
I’m gonna do a full 3 v 3 style ROM for my roller hockey project come warmer times (thinking something NHL Street), but I have a few things to get done prior to that. 

Hey there, no seamore i don't think I have done the line change hack.  I did this quickly, the lines may not be perfect but it looks good.  Anyway, it's a good try and a way for me to contribute here since I have got many many goodies on this site.  feel free for you or anyone to work on it.  I was glad to do it.  So here it is...hope you like it

NHL Pond Hockey v1.0 3 on 3.bin

• 2 weeks later...

hey there, These are variants of the rom made by Seamor and all the graphics is from him. Thank you Seamor to allow me to do variants as a Xmas present from me to all the nhl 94 community.

Still 4 on 4 hockey.  NHL Legends on the pond and for those habs fans out there, Le Canadien sur le lac\ Habs on the pond.   NHL legends is complete with the top 50 players that ever played in the NHL. 8 teams of 6 players plus the top 8 goalers ever.  For the Canadiens all the greats are here and some alumnis....( yeah, I know why Dave Morissette but then again why not?)   

All of these can be subject to debate of course.  I only did my best and wanted to share this with the community.  If you wanna change the lineups, players, do like me.  I picked up NOSE four months ago and it changed the way I play, mod and see the game.  It can do anything except I wish they could do graphics because I really sucked at that and I am not patient on how to do it.  So if you wanna change something, graphics or rosters, you can do it, if of course Seamor agrees and perhaps post an improved version here.

Happy XMas to all the nhl 94 community and let's hope for a better safer 2021

Le Canadien sur le lac.bin NHL Legends on the pond.bin

• Thanks 1
  • Like 1

18 hours ago, I got the puck said:

hey there, These are variants of the rom made by Seamor and all the graphics is from him. Thank you Seamor to allow me to do variants as a Xmas present from me to all the nhl 94 community.

Still 4 on 4 hockey.  NHL Legends on the pond and for those habs fans out there, Le Canadien sur le lac\ Habs on the pond.   NHL legends is complete with the top 50 players that ever played in the NHL. 8 teams of 6 players plus the top 8 goalers ever.  For the Canadiens all the greats are here and some alumnis....( yeah, I know why Dave Morissette but then again why not?)   

All of these can be subject to debate of course.  I only did my best and wanted to share this with the community.  If you wanna change the lineups, players, do like me.  I picked up NOSE four months ago and it changed the way I play, mod and see the game.  It can do anything except I wish they could do graphics because I really sucked at that and I am not patient on how to do it.  So if you wanna change something, graphics or rosters, you can do it, if of course Seamor agrees and perhaps post an improved version here.

Happy XMas to all the nhl 94 community and let's hope for a better safer 2021

Le Canadien sur le lac.bin 2 MB · 12 downloads NHL Legends on the pond.bin 2 MB · 15 downloads

Love to see people using the outdoor template. Nice work!

• Thanks 1

pretty boring confined xmas eve so I turn the heat a bit and created another variation of Seamor's fantastic outdoor rom.  This time is the Worlds on the pond.  

3 on 3 action with the 6 countries contenders for the world's supremacy (you know who they are)based on Quanthockey.com's all time points leader per country.

Couple of notes:

-Went for Marty instead of Roy in canada's goal

-Choose Tretiak because he's the greatest russian goaler ever.

-Put Jim Craig for US as he helped to get the 1980 olympic US gold

- I only did the rosters, uniforms and team names...the rest is Seamor's great rom work.

Once again, if you want to change the rosters, use NOSE, the ea utility.  If you want to change centre ice logos and team logos for the rom, please feel free to do wso and perhaps post your results for either case right here.  It is so fun to have a real outdoor rom.  Thanks again Seamor!

Worlds on the pond.bin

• Like 1

OK I am on a roll here, xmas is not that boring but I got the time to do something that was never done before here.  A rom on the USA-Canada Rivalry for Ladies.  Only 2 teams needed. 3 on 3 madness  9 skaters and a goalie for 3 lines per team.  All the star ladies are here.  I wonder why it has never been done before that's why I have done it.  For one, it is hockey and two, the rivalry is ferocious and thus fun to watch.  Hope you like it.

Ladies on the pond.bin

• Like 1