NHL'94 Forums

2020 Bud of the Year (Time to vote)

halifax

NHL94 Bud of the year  

63 members have voted

1. 1. 2020 NHL94 Bud of the year

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 01/01/2021 at 06:00 AM

2020 has been an amazing a year for the community. I believe it has been our GREATEST year ever! It has seen huge growth in community member, in our online presence, our social media presence,  and seen more roms being created perhaps more than any other year.

The SoChel Distancing tournament was a major success (156 registrations and nearly $5000 raised for charity) for this community . Many people that played  init are still around playing today. This resulted in the largest classic league ever (100+ registration for the first time). King of 94 was played online this year as well with 85 registrations. It has also been a great success!

NHL94 Rewind has also created massive interest in NHL94 again and I'll be looking to expand our presence/engagement on PS4 with the community that @McMikeyhas created there in the next couple of weeks. I'm hoping an online league will be the result of it.

The Bud of the year ,for me, is a good ambassador for the community and has done something extra special for the community during the past 12 months.

This year has four excellent choices for Bud of the Year. 

1. @chaos - He set up all of our online leagues for everyone throughout the last 12 months. He's worked with the Retroarch guys to help them improve their platform so that we can have a better experience with online play. He's answered many questions for people on their conenctions and set ups to help them getting up and running again.

2. @danTML7 Dan has spent the last 12 months consistently helping people on facebook with answer to their questions in our facebook group and then re-directing them to our discord where he can help them get set up online. He's created many training videos for Sega players and has run several season of OPHL in that time.

3, @Jkline3 He went off this year creating a ton of roms for Sega that have resulted in a combined 1000+ downloads. He did US college roms (Atlantic, Big Ten, ECAC, Hockey East, NCHC, WCHA, Beanpoit, Frozen Four) as well as some CHL roms (QMJHL, OHL, WHL, Memorial Cup 2020)

3. @smozoma - He starting streaming weekly Thursday games for the online classic league and spent tons of time broadcasting during Sochel and King of 94. He set up the website to allow for saved states to be recorded and stats saved for King of 94 for both SNES and Sega. He also spend a lot of time answer questions for people on our facebook page and group that are looking for help.

I know there are many others that contribute throughout the year. I picked these 4 because I think they are a cut above. However, feel free to use this thread to recognize others not listed in ways that have made your experience in the community much better.

Voting closes December 31st!

Previous Winners

2009 - @smozoma (1)

2010 - @smozoma (2)

2011 - @smozoma (3) and @dan_lizhot

2012 - @smozoma (4) and @DaDonch44

2013 - @kingraph

2014 - @chaos (1)

2015 - @McMikey

2016 - @angryjay93

2017 - @slapshot67

2018 - @chaos (2)

2019 - @chaos (3)

• Like 3

As much as I love to see some dominate winning streaks (see: Alabama football); when the system wouldn't let me pick more than one I went with @danTML7as @chaos& @smozomahave dominated this list historically (& rightfully so).

Edited by corbettkb
  • Like 1

Appreciate the stick tap, I'm very thankful to have this community to keep this amazing game chugging along. Especially thankful this year as it gave me an outlet to have something to lose my mind in rather than dwell on all of the nonsense that's been thrown our way in 2020. Thanks again!

• Love 1
  • Like 2

This is a tough vote as all these guys are amazing. @chaosknows what he does and how amazing it is for the community but for this year because of the help he has given to the little guys and the fact he hasn't even really been in the community very long and has become such a huge part of it. I gotta go with @danTML7we sometimes argue on the discord but I turn to him with all my little problems I have with NHL94. He's my bud of the year.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, The90Jacket said:

How do you vote for Halifax? 

AGREED!

I had to go with m'boy, dantml...

Besides having a tendency to go with the underdog... Out of everybody that makes this community what it is, dantml is the guy, who's YouTube channel keeps a non-online-player, like myself, up to date with tournament game play. 

Image may contain: 3 people, people sitting and indoor, text that says 'VIP SERVICE HIPBUTTLE SERVICE C TORONTO MAPLE LEAFS'

Just think how blessed we are that we have to ponder these difficult decisions.  Who would have thought that mr double fisting bulldog himself @danTML7 would enter the bathroom(the NHL94 cocoon if you will), get photoshopped into a group photo, and transform into the invaluable community multi-purpose asset that he has become.  If NHL94 was a religion, Dan would be the one to wake your ass up on a Saturday to tell you about his lord and savior, Doug Gilmour.  

I wanted to love on a few other buds along the way here that definitely deserve recognition.

image.png

While the impact may have been more localized, @LeifErikson made the Minneapolis tournament possible with his generosity.  His company AV For You was instrumental in everything having a "wow factor" at our Edge tournament, as well as being the local eyes and ears of everything, which made the event memorable.  Thanks again for everything this year for that.

@TecmoJon is another individual I saw put a lot of time into helping people during Sochel, and he personally helped me with numerous game tests.

Everyone listed is of course worthy of recognition.

Edited by Edge of '94 Midwest
  • Like 1

Ok, gotta keep it real here:

1. Halifax should be Bud of the Year.  (But I know he doesn't include himself in the running.  Which just goes to show why he should be bud of the year!  Never mind that, Bud of the Decade!)

That aside, I would have to say:

2. Chaos should be Bud of the Year.   If didn't have his finger in every pie here,  well, it would be like the NHL94 community here hits an iceberg and the whole thing goes under, quickly!

But he has won it 2 years straight.  So:

3. I am voting for @danTML7!  His Twitch streams and personality are really helping the community in much needed way, at a much needed time, with the influx of new people.

@Jkline3 and @smozoma are worthy candidates as well, of course.  Now that I think on it, we are lucky to have so many good Buds in this community, at the moment!  In fact, the "Good Apple" to "Bad Apple" ratio might be at an all time high right now, heh! ;)

Edited by aqualizard
  • Like 1

11 hours ago, illegalsmileIV:XX said:

AGREED!

I had to go with m'boy, dantml...

Besides having a tendency to go with the underdog... Out of everybody that makes this community what it is, dantml is the guy, who's YouTube channel keeps a non-online-player, like myself, up to date with tournament game play. 

@illegalsmileIV:XX, I love the love! but who are you? like what's your real name or your name on the socials? I'm glad I'm keeping you up to date a bit, and appreciate all the views. Smoz does all the "BIG TIME" games. My channel is mostly a snapshot into my leagues. But sometimes I stream other big time playas too. 

Also, you gotta click on my name above and click submit for your vote to be counted I think. Don't want to have any Georgia problems here.....

Just did some digging. Over 3500 video views on youtube and over 200 hours of twitch streaming this year... I .... have no life. lol

Edited by danTML7
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, danTML7 said:

who are you? like what's your real name or your name on the socials?

I'm not on any social media, I am on the discord, but I don't really engage, because until recently I couldn't get discord to work right. 

I don't play online tournaments, because I doubt I'm good enough... I watch the gameplay, but I'm just a console gamer and a big fan of '94, generally.

you gotta click on my name above and click submit for your vote to be counted I think.

I swear, I thought I'd done that... It's done now... I think!

I .... have no life. lol

Ah, who has this year?!

13 hours ago, danTML7 said:

Just did some digging. Over 3500 video views on youtube and over 200 hours of twitch streaming this year... I .... have no life. lol

Dan that is a social life these days with COVID.

Dan has been extremely helpful this year.  He got me all set up to host, and always seems to find time to answer my Noob questions.  He has run OHPL very well and tries to include everyone who would like to have a chance at it.  

Just give the title to all 4.  Each deserves it.  I feel a compelling argument can be made for each participant and to be honest, half of the people here wouldn't get those arguments if you don't know the person and/or, don't understand (or care about) the why.  For example, what JKline does is extremely time-consuming and generous.  Does that mean he deserves it over the others, maybe... maybe not.  This site community owes a debt of gratitude to Chaos for a multitude of reasons as we don't always see what he does behind the scenes.  Anyone who has ever edited and produced a rom owes a debt of gratitude to smozoma for problem-solving and sharing his wealth of technical knowledge.  Dan helps a lot of folks with on-boarding for league play (a popular request) and FB questions.  Each, does their part for free.  Each doesn't complain and gives of themselves.  How does one determine which is most valued?  Eye of the beholder.

(in an Oprah voice)

"You get Bud of the Year...and you get Bud of the Year...and you get Bud of the Year..."

Edited by Sauce
  • Like 1

Good points @Sauce. I look at all my votes and basically all 16 are from those who participated (or are participating) in my new OHPL league. So that's clearly important to them. And many I've also helped get their port forwarding working.

Then I look at the votes on others, and a lot of names I don't recognize. In fact, I've never associated yet with @Jkline3, one of the other nominees. Only because I don't seek out those other ROMs. But clearly with 1000+ downloads, he's definitely using NHL94 to create and spread joy to thousands of others. When I voted for @smozoma, I did so because I thought he would get the fewest votes and I really appreciate the effort he puts into going on cam all the time and streaming the BIG TIME games. I was happy to see so many others appreciate him too. And @chaos!! I've begged him repeatedly to give me more responsibilities and train me on the website because we would 100% be fucked without him or a replacement (as raph said). 

Quick shout out to @Tickenestwhose simple gifs have changed our social media game as well. Everyone loves those 10second clips. Very easy to take in and have gotten lots of reactions both on discord and twitter. Plus his SNES Cup Chase league is................. another league....... which is always good.

Edited by danTML7

1 minute ago, danTML7 said:

Good points @Sauce. I look at all my votes and basically all 16 are from those who participated (or are participating) in my new OHPL league. So that's clearly important to them. And many I've also helped get their port forwarding working.

Then I look at the votes on others, and a lot of names I don't recognize. In fact, I've never associated yet with @Jkline3, one of the other nominees. Only because I don't seek out those other ROMs. But clearly with 1000+ downloads, he's definitely using NHL94 to create and spread joy to thousands of others. When I voted for @smozoma, I did so because I thought he would get the fewest votes and I really appreciate the effort he puts into going on cam all the time and streaming the BIG TIME games. I was happy to see so many others appreciate him too. And @chaos!! I've begged him repeatedly to give me more responsibilities and train me on the website because we would 100% be fucked without him or a replacement (as raph said). 

Quick shout out to @Tickenestwhose simple gifs have changed our social media game as well. Everyone loves those 10second clips. Very easy to take in and have gotten lots of reactions both on discord and twitter. Plus his SNES Cup Chase league is................. another league....... which is always good.

It's definitely a bias thing.  I recommend/voted JKline because I create/post roms and know how significant it is to do.  It is a tremendous amount of work that most will never know about.  Hence, why so many folks keep asking for custom roms that they "could" do themselves but are too "whatever" to do so.  If it was easy and quick, everyone would do it.  But, I also know that he and I (and others) can do it because of the help/guidance we got from smozoma, king raph, coach mac, slapshot67, etc.  I also know that Chaos is a good guy and always helps folks out and does a lot of work with retroarch instructions on this site.  Extremely valueable!  So, it is definitely a bias thing and that's why all four deserve a pat on the back.

Now, go take $50 each out of petty cash!  :)

• Love 1

1 minute ago, danTML7 said:

Good points sauce. I look at all my votes and basically all 16 are from those who participated (or are participating) in my new OHPL league. So that's clearly important to them. And many I've also helped get their port forwarding working.

Learn some PHP and HTML/CSS. I would gladly give someone else more control, takes some burden off of me. I think I've asked you this before, a long time ago. This goes for anyone who is willing to help. I don't like having all the keys in my pocket, because if I'm not around, everyone is locked out.

I'd like to say I really appreciate everyone's kind words. As an engineer in my real life, it is in my DNA to fix problems, make things, and try to improve other things. I spend a lot of time trying to fix people's connections and setup, etc., because it's just in my nature. And if it can't be fixed, I try my best to figure out why and find a workaround. I have spent more time than I should with this RetroArch stuff, just because I wanted to find a better solution than what we had. I'm happy to see others having a pleasant experience because of it. 

I always say streaming is the best thing that's happened to this community. It opens more eyes to it, and the more the better. @danTML7 has done a great job not only with that, but with his tutorial videos and helping others get set up - @lego too. Their help and others, has helped lift some of the burden on me, in getting people set up and able to play online. If not for their help, I would have probably told everyone to screw it and go back to using Gens and ZSNES :). Also, @halifax and @smozoma have done a wonderful job with running the online tournaments and stream. The amount of time these guys pour into this game and community should not go unnoticed. 

Also, I know how much work goes into creating a ROM, and the guys that do this stuff deserve a ton of credit. The ROM modding scene also helps grow the community, as you can see how many people have come here to download them whether to play online or to play themselves. Guys like @Jkline3, @Sauce, @skip, @naples39, etc have helped mix the game up a little bit to make it the same 94, but different at the same time. Heck, you have to think it inspired EA to make 94 Rewind! That's an amazing accomplishment. All of those who create draft ROMs help mix up the online league space and give a twist to how we play the game.

The community is not the work of one, its the work of the whole. We have a great community here, and it's wonderful to see some new names contributing every year. I'm excited to see what else we can do to improve the community in the years to come.

2 minutes ago, chaos said:

Learn some PHP and HTML/CSS. I would gladly give someone else more control, takes some burden off of me. I think I've asked you this before, a long time ago. This goes for anyone who is willing to help. I don't like having all the keys in my pocket, because if I'm not around, everyone is locked out.

I do know HTML! I mean... I think I did about the same as you did. I was pretty well versed in it, and then CSS came out, and I said f**k that s**t. I think if we did some screenshares and had me watch what you do, I could be ready to take over some responsibilities.

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, chaos said:

I'd like to say I really appreciate everyone's kind words. As an engineer in my real life, it is in my DNA to fix problems, make things, and try to improve other things. I spend a lot of time trying to fix people's connections and setup, etc., because it's just in my nature. And if it can't be fixed, I try my best to figure out why and find a workaround. I have spent more time than I should with this RetroArch stuff, just because I wanted to find a better solution than what we had. I'm happy to see others having a pleasant experience because of it. 

I always say streaming is the best thing that's happened to this community. It opens more eyes to it, and the more the better. @danTML7 has done a great job not only with that, but with his tutorial videos and helping others get set up - @lego too. Their help and others, has helped lift some of the burden on me, in getting people set up and able to play online. If not for their help, I would have probably told everyone to screw it and go back to using Gens and ZSNES :). Also, @halifax and @smozoma have done a wonderful job with running the online tournaments and stream. The amount of time these guys pour into this game and community should not go unnoticed. 

Also, I know how much work goes into creating a ROM, and the guys that do this stuff deserve a ton of credit. The ROM modding scene also helps grow the community, as you can see how many people have come here to download them whether to play online or to play themselves. Guys like @Jkline3, @Sauce, @skip, @naples39, etc have helped mix the game up a little bit to make it the same 94, but different at the same time. Heck, you have to think it inspired EA to make 94 Rewind! That's an amazing accomplishment. All of those who create draft ROMs help mix up the online league space and give a twist to how we play the game.

The community is not the work of one, its the work of the whole. We have a great community here, and it's wonderful to see some new names contributing every year. I'm excited to see what else we can do to improve the community in the years to come.

This is great post in that I didn't even know that you do that level of work for the website.  I knew that you did certain aspects but this gives more insight to those who read it.  You certainly do your fair share to make this site work for the community.  So, thanks!

But, unfortunately, I didn't vote for you.  LOL

Edited by Sauce
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Sauce said:

This is great post in that I didn't even know that you do that level of work for the website.  I knew that you did certain aspects but this gives more insight to those who read it.  You certainly do your fair share to make this site work for the community.  So, thanks!

But, unfortunately, I didn't vote for you.  LOL

LOL its ok bud, it's not a real competition :)

• Haha 1

It's an honour just to be nominated

What I'm really liking this year is the focus on growing the game. From making the emulator easier to use, to having a read-to-go tournament every few weeks, lots of ROMs for the offline guys, and league/tournament streams to get people excited. Next year:

BestEsportsGame.jpg

• Thanks 1
  • Like 2

"What I'm really liking this year is the focus on growing the game."

Yes, yes and yes.

It's very cool that everyone's efforts are towards that goal. I haven't gotten into online play - I struggle to beat a 9-year old and an 11-year old and I had a twenty year head start on them with this game - but the online play is what is driving most of the activity. I just want to see anyone who wants their favorite league NHL'94 style to have that opportunity!

Never really interacted with @chaos or @danTML7 since I'm on the offline game side. I had to vote for @smozoma because he answered some REALLY stupid questions from me when I started trying to figure out how to do this and his patience left just enough bread crumbs to keep following the trail when it would have been really easy to give up.

• Like 1

I told this to @Uncle Sethand he doesn't believe me yet, which I can't blame him... But we're all ABOUT the same age, and about the same life cycles. We're all middle-aged white dudes (mostly), and seems like most even have 1-5 kids about the same age. Well, once the kids get a certain age, the adults like us who are just big kids at heart go back to our true love. NHL94. I think that is happening now. And I hope that some of the people we saw in KO94 stick around, and I hope that ISPs get better with latency and jitter so that lag goes away. These are my Christmas wishes for 2021.

On 12/16/2020 at 3:47 PM, danTML7 said:

I told this to @Uncle Sethand he doesn't believe me yet, which I can't blame him... But we're all ABOUT the same age, and about the same life cycles. We're all middle-aged white dudes (mostly), and seems like most even have 1-5 kids about the same age. Well, once the kids get a certain age, the adults like us who are just big kids at heart go back to our true love. NHL94. I think that is happening now. And I hope that some of the people we saw in KO94 stick around, and I hope that ISPs get better with latency and jitter so that lag goes away. These are my Christmas wishes for 2021.

There's definitely some truth to this.  But it's far easier to retain clients than try to recapture them or wait it out for yrs.  And to do that, you need to keep them interested.  And by "them" I mean your core of dedicated coaches.  See Sebe's recent remark in the other topped thread as evidence.

Edited by Uncle Seth