NHL'94 Forums

Missed opportunity.

von Ozbourne

So I was using Demo mode to sim a game in NHL 95 [don't judge] for reasons of AI balancing I won't bother going in to.

To the point, as the game was ending, one of the players was on a breakaway and was hooked. The game ends, the three stars are awarded and that was the end.... wait what? The player that got hooked is being awarded a penalty shot? That is really weird. So I watch the inept player spin around a lot and take a feeble backhand from the face off circle that the goalie easily stops, and the game immediately kicks out to the "Continue Season" screen without letting me look at the game stats.

While this is a weird occurrence on it's own, what was really a missed opportunity was that it was a one goal game, and the player taking the penalty shot could have tied it up had he scored. I could have used my Player 1 coaching powers to pull the goalie and, if hopefully the AI doesn't miss the net, the game should have gone to overtime.

Curious if anyone else might have encountered this.

14 hours ago, von Ozbourme said:

So I was using Demo mode to sim a game in NHL 95 [don't judge] for reasons of AI balancing I won't bother going in to.

To the point, as the game was ending, one of the players was on a breakaway and was hooked. The game ends, the three stars are awarded and that was the end.... wait what? The player that got hooked is being awarded a penalty shot? That is really weird. So I watch the inept player spin around a lot and take a feeble backhand from the face off circle that the goalie easily stops, and the game immediately kicks out to the "Continue Season" screen without letting me look at the game stats.

While this is a weird occurrence on it's own, what was really a missed opportunity was that it was a one goal game, and the player taking the penalty shot could have tied it up had he scored. I could have used my Player 1 coaching powers to pull the goalie and, if hopefully the AI doesn't miss the net, the game should have gone to overtime.

Curious if anyone else might have encountered this.

This happened in 94 maybe last week or the week before to someone. They scored on the penalty shot to tie it, and the game ended anyway.

40 minutes ago, chaos said:

This happened in 94 maybe last week or the week before to someone. They scored on the penalty shot to tie it, and the game ended anyway.

Huh, well now I know.

Although now I'm imagining a scenario where:
Game 7 of the Finals. The home team is up by one in the dying minutes.
The visitors pull their goalie and press hard, gaining possession in the neutral zone.
A stretch pass springs their speedy forward on a partial break, but a home defender hauls him down and the shot attempt is denied as the attacker slides past crashing into the boards!
The ref raises his arm on the delayed call.
The last seconds on the clock count down and the home crowd erupts!
The ref points to center ice.
The home team grabs the Cup and starts skating around in literal circles!
The tripped player gets up and skates to center ice.
The home team takes the Cup back to their dressing room and pops the champagne!
The home goalie is told to get back in the net as the visiting forward prepares for a very important penalty shot.
The home team starts drinking from the Cup [this was pre-pandemic] and slurring "Weee arrre the Chaaaaampions!"
The visiting player skates in and triple dekes the goalie and scores! The game is tied! We're going to overtime!
The home team says "Nope!"
The ref shrugs and goes to get another doughnut.
The visiting team exchanges incredulous looks. A coach is heard to say "This is <redacted>! That was a <redacted> <redacted> call than Brett in '99!
The next day the paper reads "Home Team Wins!! Final Score 3-3".

• Haha 2