NHL'94 Forums

Featured line-ups [NHL 94 - 30 & 32 team ROMS]

Okay I'm stumped.
I know I've come across this before, but it was late in development that time and I didn't feel like rearranging all 30 rosters just to have a nicer player order.
BUT! now I'm playing around with a 32 team ROM and most of the rosters have three goalies, so the third stringer is getting featured in place of the third forward. Kind of dumb, but not game breaking.

What is game breaking however... I ran into an issue where one of my historically accurate rosters does not have enough players for the second defenceman pointer to actually point at anything.
So I'm getting this:
image.png
and the game freezes.

Of course I neglected to copy the information I need over to my references and I can't seem to find it again.
Anybody care to point me to what I'm missing in a manner that doesn't make me feel like a complete idiot?

5 hours ago, seamor said:

Are you resetting player cards on EARE?

For a few minutes there I did feel like an idiot,
[although admittedly most of my ROM hacking time over the past year has been spent in the '92, '93, '95 & '96 engines, with which EARE does not get along with, so I forgot most of it's usefulness]
But then I tried custom player pictures help file process and remembered how that didn't work so well for me.

[worse!]
image.png

my work around before was to just make sure I just always put the player in the default slot.

2 hours ago, kingraph said:

Not sure what you're trying to do exactly, but I wrote up how the player card table works in detail here:

Yeah I was looking through that before and it didn't seem to address the issue I'm having. The problem isn't so much the player cards but the "featured lineup" names on the main menu screen.
The NLC lineup has the correct player names on the "Ron Barr" screen, [although the #1 center is using a default player pic, probably related] but the main menu features a different set of player names. I figured out with the 30-team ROM, that this seemed to be static to which roster slot/hex offset the ROM was set to reference. My work around was to just put my desired player into that slot and move on. Unfortunately with the 32-team ROM, the featured forward group is whatever player names are in the #3-#5 slots. And If I have a team with three goalies, the game doesn't adjust to read #4-6, rather just call up the third string goalie's name with the #1 center's picture.

UPDATE: Okay, I did some more playing around and managed to figure out the EARE thing and got it to work for me.... mostly.
It just seems that for whatever reason, it reeeeeeeeaaaaaaally doesn't like that short roster in the number one slot and will not play nice no matter what I try.
So i just removed it from the list and whadayaknow, it's using the generic pics, but it stopped my freezing issues.

I guess at this point I could try adding a couple of black aces and just not put them on a line, or if all else fails, pretend the team missed photo day.

Edited by von Ozbourme

The player card table not only sets the pointers to the right pictures, but you can choose which roster spots come up on the main menu screen. It's NOT linked to the NLC line, but rather the roster spots you designate in the table.   It will look up the name and card offset.  Here's a snapshot of the spreadsheet I made for the player card sorter:

Screenshot_20201220-112429.png

My guess is that the ROM you are using has the first 3 roster spots, 00,01,02 in the beginning, which are the goalies.  If you swap 02 (3rd goalie) with another spot I think that solves your issue.  Or just remove the 3rd goalie altogether in NOSE.

Hope that clears things up a bit.  

Unfortunately I don't have the offset location of the 32 team player card table as I haven't done any work on that, but the methodology is the same.

4 hours ago, kingraph said:

My guess is that the ROM you are using has the first 3 roster spots, 00,01,02 in the beginning, which are the goalies.  If you swap 02 (3rd goalie) with another spot I think that solves your issue.  Or just remove the 3rd goalie altogether in NOSE.

Hope that clears things up a bit.  

Unfortunately I don't have the offset location of the 32 team player card table as I haven't done any work on that, but the methodology is the same.

Thanks for the graph. Actually my problem was the opposite. Using a ROM with two goalies, and adding a third was complicating matters. Luckily the EARE method is fixing the problem, it's just tedious copy/pasting and double checking the data [Like yourself, I have no pre-made references for the 32-team ROM]

47 minutes ago, von Ozbourme said:

Thanks for the graph. Actually my problem was the opposite. Using a ROM with two goalies, and adding a third was complicating matters. Luckily the EARE method is fixing the problem, it's just tedious copy/pasting and double checking the data [Like yourself, I have no pre-made references for the 32-team ROM]

Why is it a problem?  The 3 goalies become 0-2 in the hex code (where each team's pointer is located, and the forwards become 3-10 (if you have 14 fwds) and the D become 11-18 (if you have 8 dmen).  Your starting goalie is 0.  Your forwards, that have image, can be any of those who fall between 3-10, depending on how you sort them in NOSE.  Same goes for Dmen.

Using my 2019 rom as an example...image courtesy of Slapshot67 who taught me way back when...

It's fairly easy to do but the way you're doing it is making it more difficult and time consuming.  That is, unless you are a masochist and like punishing yourself.  To each, their own... lol

Example.jpg

Edited by Sauce

3 hours ago, Sauce said:

It's fairly easy to do but the way you're doing it is making it more difficult and time consuming.  That is, unless you are a masochist and like punishing yourself.  To each, their own... lol

... Maybe I am.

3 hours ago, Sauce said:

Using my 2019 rom as an example...image courtesy of Slapshot67 who taught me way back when...

Well, shhh........oot. Now that seemed to be the missing link for me. Although I realized after the fact that I also had some other issues stemming from the fact that I copy pasted groups of tiles from another old 30 team ROM that had some of the wrong players in the top five. [Some featured players were chosen based on having available pics, while they may have actually been on the second or third line skill-wise. Forgot I did that.] Add in some late nights and it just wasn't computing.
Luckily I only got six teams in before stepping away.

Fresh eyes and mind did push me to quickly make this spread sheet though. All formulas so I'm proud that I didn't do this one the hard way. Even put in the copy text for EARE and hex editor, and figure it can double as a cheat sheet to find any card image so at least it can be handy in that regard.

image.png