NHL'94 Forums

NHL94 Winter Classic Rom

Sauce

Hi everyone! 

I have created a Winter Classic ROM that contains all 26 Winter Classic teams and I have edited out the crowd to be snow around the rink.

A special thanks goes out to Slapshot67 and JKline3 who provided expertise and guidance during the process. 

The rosters have the same helmet sprite patch as my other roms.  It also has the weight bug fix. 

Only 26 teams are playable, at this time.  

NOTE:  I have no intention, at this time, of doing an Outdoor Classic or Heritage Classic rom.  This rom was plenty time-consuming and I just don’t have the time or desire right now.  Maybe one day…

Each team has all of the players from those 13 Winter Classics including the actual (confirmed) lines and d-pairs from those games.  I have also updated the jersey colors, as best as one can, and numbers. 

The attributes/ratings are based on how each player was doing from the start of the season to up to that year’s Winter Classic game.  I had a tier structure that I followed.

I have updated the music table for each team.  I also limited the “Other Scores” coding to only show these 26 teams during intermission or when you look up other scores.

Each away team is given a special outdoor stadium/location as opposed to an arena.  I made sure to select stadiums those teams have never played.  The home/host team, of course, has the name of the WC stadium, for that year, as their home location.

Buffalo, who appears twice (2008 and 2018) is listed as the away team each time.  That’s because they wore their away jerseys even though they were the home team.

I did not edit the reverse angle instant replay which still shows the crowd and arena.  While I was able to located most of the tiles, it is a lot of work and tile swapping for something that’s not a hot item.  Perhaps, that’s why no one (to my knowledge) has attempted it yet.   Anywho…

If you notice any mistakes, please let me know.  Cheers!

NHL94 Winter Classic - 5 Minute OT

NHL94 WC - 5 Min OT.bin

NHL94 Winter Classic - 60 Minute OT

NHL94 WC - 60 Min OT.bin

NHL94 WC Title Screen.png

Team Selection.png

Tonights Matchup.png

2008 WC.png

2015 WC.png

2019 WC.png

2020 WC.png

Edited by Sauce
  • Love 2

This is awesome!  Thanks so much for a ROM that puts all of the Winter Classic teams together!  One TINY thing I found is that Ryan Whitney wore #19 for the Pens, not 18.  Also, is there any way to swap the Pens and Sabres 08 uniforms?  I know you already addressed the fact that this was the odd game where the home team wore white, but when you play with the Pens as the home team, it plays the Pittsburgh organ music instead of Buffalo.  Thanks again for such an awesome project! 

20 minutes ago, brianski71 said:

This is awesome!  Thanks so much for a ROM that puts all of the Winter Classic teams together!  One TINY thing I found is that Ryan Whitney wore #19 for the Pens, not 18.  Also, is there any way to swap the Pens and Sabres 08 uniforms?  I know you already addressed the fact that this was the odd game where the home team wore white, but when you play with the Pens as the home team, it plays the Pittsburgh organ music instead of Buffalo.  Thanks again for such an awesome project! 

Good catch... I thought I had him as 19 and probably got a little trigger happy with NOSE's drop down menu of numbers.  I will make that change, gonna do a another "comb" of team numbers ot see if any others jump out.  Each time I maded a team, I did keep a list of the numbers worn and this, is an oversight (my bad).  I will re-post tonight/tomorrow morning. 

I didn't give Pittsburgh the Sabres home music because of the fact that Buffalo may not be the away team each time and technically, Pittsburgh is home (much like the Rangers) as Buffalo wore away jerseys in both match-ups.  They were the only team that did.  Pittsburgh music isn't as recognizable as "Sabre Dance" so I figure it is generic enough to use without giving distinction to Pittsburgh.

As for swapping the jerseys, sorry, I will not be doing that for reasons I already mentioned.  I did it this way, by design, so that two away jerseys are not facing off at the same time if Buffalo is the home team.  Doesn't look good - way too much white.  You are certainly welcome to do so, yourself, using NOSE.  It's pretty simple to do and that way, you can have such a version on your computer (for your own personal use).

Thanks for checking out the rom and bringing Whit's number to my attention.  An update will be posted within the next 24 hours.  Cheers!

Edited by Sauce

2 minutes ago, brianski71 said:

Fair enough...there's a method to your madness and I certainly won't be the one to tell you to change it!  Thanks again for all your hard work!  This thing is awesome, and I'll be sinking some time into playing it! 

There's always a method to my madness - LOL.  I have tons of cheatsheets and spreadsheets, for each rom, to determine how I do things and where.  And, there is always a method to the concept(s) themselves.  

I'm glad you like it and appreciate the kind words.  I will post an update once the file is fixed.  Cheers!

17 minutes ago, brianski71 said:

Sounds good!  Don't want you to think I was nit picking, just noticed the wrong number right away.  Haha

Not at all... I appreciate the catch.  I just did a quick survey of the teams and there aren't any other numbers, that are incorrect, jumping out at me.  That said, I'll post it again, very soon, and if anyone catches another number(s) that is off, please let me know.

• 1 year later...
  • 2 months later...

Hi!

Been working on an updated version of this ROM.  I added Minnesota and St. Louis from this year's matchup as well as some other bits and pieces (including new title screen)...

...updating and cleaning up some graphical stuff, at the moment, and I anticipate having it posted by end of this week (if not sooner).  Coming soon...

NHL94 WC Title Screen.png

Team Selection.png

STL vs MIN.png

Edited by Sauce
Updated one of the images
  • Love 2
  • Like 1

Hi!  Per my recent post (above), I have now posted new/updated versions of my Winter Classic ROM. 

There are 5 minute OT and 60 minute OT versions.  With the former, after 5 minutes, you can challenge your opponent to a shootout in that particular mode (just like real life).

What else is new/updated?

• Added the 2022 Winter Classic teams (STL vs MIN).
  • All 650 players have been updated using an updated attributes tier structure.  It is slightly different versus when I edited these players back in 2020.
  • Approx. 90% of the NLC headshots have been updated with the remaining 10% "cleaned up" to some extent.  With players who have been in multiple WCs, I, for the most part, used different images to show an age progression as well as document what they looked like as the years went by.
  • "Cleaned up" a couple of the Team Selection logos.
  • Several Team Rankings have been updated.
  • Updated the music table for STL and MIN.
  • This time around, I removed the kid pounding on the glass.  It appears that this time, I did it correctly (I hope, as it was a little tricky).  
  • Updated the 2012 Rangers uniforms to be off-white/cream colored instead of white.
  • Updated the 2017 Blackhawks away equipment to be a black helmet instead of white.

For more details regarding this ROM and what to know, please review the notes in the original post.

If you notice any mistakes, please let me know.

Edited by Sauce
Updated notes
  • Thanks 1