NHL'94 Forums

2020 SHL

Jkline3

11 minutes ago, von Ozbourme said:

I like it!
Curious, how'd you work the on-ice ad?

although, if I may... could use more umlauts.

I would love to add more umlauts but couldn't figure out a way to alter the fonts enough to pull it off - if you have any ideas I'm all ears. The way that I was calculating letter usage I could have done a couple letters but not all, IMO would have looked worse... Ultimately decided it would look more consistent without. 

Center ice is kind of a convoluted process, it's a combination of editing the team-specific tiles and the actual rink tiles. If you're really interested shoot me a DM and I'll do my best to walk through it. Wanted to try it out since on-ice ads are so much more obvious in the European leagues.

20 hours ago, Jkline3 said:

I would love to add more umlauts but couldn't figure out a way to alter the fonts enough to pull it off - if you have any ideas I'm all ears. The way that I was calculating letter usage I could have done a couple letters but not all, IMO would have looked worse... Ultimately decided it would look more consistent without.

Ah yeah that's true. Actually if I remember correctly from my playing around with the Elitserien games, they added something to the code so characters with hex numbers of 01-06 would end up being the upper and lower case versions. (Swedish only has three extra letters Å, Ä and Ö) Barring that, you'd need to adapt six special characters instead, like hyphens and underscores and stuff.
(I actually had to do something similar when I was figuring out my IIHF version of NHL96. For some reason the game menu font doesn't have a "Z". But they did have an "X" weirdly enough, so I just changed the sprite and made sure to spell CXech Republic and KaXakhstan in NOSE.)

20 hours ago, Jkline3 said:

Center ice is kind of a convoluted process, it's a combination of editing the team-specific tiles and the actual rink tiles. If you're really interested shoot me a DM and I'll do my best to walk through it. Wanted to try it out since on-ice ads are so much more obvious in the European leagues.

Hmm I think I know where you are going with that. I was actually hoping to adapt some sprites to make something for the four zone face off circles, but the best I could do was to free up four rink tiles. I did make a Skoda logo for the center ice dot using the shared All-Star team logo in '92, but if I could figure out how to have some garish advert in all five circles, that would be amazing.

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, von Ozbourme said:

(I actually had to do something similar when I was figuring out my IIHF version of NHL96. For some reason the game menu font doesn't have a "Z". But they did have an "X" weirdly enough, so I just changed the sprite and made sure to spell CXech Republic and KaXakhstan in NOSE.)

That was my plan, sadly I think I only came up with 1 free letter. Import players ruined it... I could do it with the team banners but wanted to keep things consistent. BUT, now that you mention it I didn't take caps into consideration so I might have to take another look.

49 minutes ago, von Ozbourme said:

Hmm I think I know where you are going with that. I was actually hoping to adapt some sprites to make something for the four zone face off circles, but the best I could do was to free up four rink tiles. I did make a Skoda logo for the center ice dot using the shared All-Star team logo in '92, but if I could figure out how to have some garish advert in all five circles, that would be amazing.

I edited the rink to free up a couple extras, there's just not enough tiles to do anything with the other four even if you used the same logo for all four. 

• Sad 1

22 hours ago, Jkline3 said:

I edited the rink to free up a couple extras, there's just not enough tiles to do anything with the other four even if you used the same logo for all four. 

Just remembered something that might help out.

Haven't had the chance to see if this would be useful or not, but in NHL Hockey (92) the round crease and the face off circles actually share tiles.
This may be more helpful for a guy like me who likes to go with period correct ice markings, but if you go with an un-coloured full semi circle goalie crease (like many Euro-Leagues had in the day), or go with blue backgrounded ice ads for the face off circles (maintaining the current crease shape), you might be able to free up an addition 6 tiles for ad space.

If I manage to figure something out with that, I'll post some pics.

I did an edit of the rink graphics to dumb-down some of the detail in the crowd that you probably don't notice much at full speed. Ended up with max of 37 usable tiles. Using the full center ice for a logo can take up to 20 of those and you still need to edit the tiles that make up the actual circle to match the ice color of the logo. The other faceoff circles are bigger and would eat up the other 17 quickly.

• Like 2

10 hours ago, Jkline3 said:

I did an edit of the rink graphics to dumb-down some of the detail in the crowd that you probably don't notice much at full speed. Ended up with max of 37 usable tiles. Using the full center ice for a logo can take up to 20 of those and you still need to edit the tiles that make up the actual circle to match the ice color of the logo. The other faceoff circles are bigger and would eat up the other 17 quickly.

This is pretty awesome.  Would this work with team logos, or would the increase in the center ice logo only work for a static logo?  The default center ice is just 24 tiles (6x4), would be cool to increase that size even a little bit.

If it can be done it's well beyond my capabilities. The center ice tiles are all together in the rom, in order to expand them you would have to insert those additional tiles in sequence.

I did notice that you can use the center ice tiles elsewhere on the rink surface, there is nothing that requires them to be at that particular 6x4 location. Makes for some interesting possibilities...

2020 KHLx_002.jpg

• Thanks 1

On 12/30/2020 at 11:37 PM, Jkline3 said:

That's pretty cool.
Although now I'm curious what that would look like if the other faceoff circles were also shrunk to the same size as center ice.
Weird how the addition of ads to NHL rink ice always annoyed me, and yet here I am taking an interest in defacing my games.

On 12/31/2020 at 12:41 PM, Jkline3 said:

I did notice that you can use the center ice tiles elsewhere on the rink surface, there is nothing that requires them to be at that particular 6x4 location. Makes for some interesting possibilities...

Nothing requiring that they be in a 6x4 arrangement either...

Funny, you just reminded me of of how I came across that by accident after a bad

counting error led me to paste half a logo off to the side of the ice. My reaction at the time was annoyance, and after going back to a previous save I promptly forgot all about it. Clearly that was the wrong mindset.