NHL'94 Forums

The World Championships Series

von Ozbourne

Alright I said I would start posting these before this year was out and since there is just over 24 hours left, I should probably just do it.

Introducing the IIHF Hockey series.
The idea was to make each of the NHL(PA) games for Genesis into its contemporary IIHF version. Complete with period correct art style, team assets and players. Ultimately the goal was to make it look like something EA might have released back in the day.

Rosters, for the most part, have been taken from each year's World Championships. Some provisions were made in cases where say, some teams only had one goalie, so I borrowed a backup from that year's Olympic roster, or had to improvise some data because apparently no one found it important enough to record what sweater numbers the Estonian National team wore 26 years ago... what the hell eh?

I start with IIHF 94.
[Full disclosure, this is actually the third version of this game I'd made as the first was a foolish attempt to mod an original NHL94 ROM. Soon after I discovered that 30-team ROMS was a thing and made a second while I was just learning the craft and used an old Blitz league ROM to train on. I found a couple of critical errors, mainly how player cards were set up and some colour palette issues that were in the base ROM. Rather than keep polishing the dorodango, I opted to start over using my improved skills on a clean wboy 30-team ROM. I am much happier with the results]

Some features:
This game includes the top 30 international teams based on their finishing position after the 1994 World Championships.
The Ice surface has been reverted back to its original 1994 goodness.
Player ratings were a bit of a contentious issue, I opted to use as many player stats as was available in the original game and basically based everyone else off that.
Player cards are almost complete [Who knew that finding 26 year old photos of South Korean hockey players would be almost impossible?] but at least even the "default player" pics are all unique. Many starting line ups were based on who actually had a photo available.
No mind was paid to whether teams were in the "A", "B" or "C" pool as far a play offs go.
I toyed with the idea of patches like weight bug and helmet sprite, but decided to stick to the default, again for the period correct feel. Might revisit that later.

Anyway, here are some previews.
image.pngimage.png

image.pngimage.png

image.pngimage.png

Addendum for the series:
I'm going to post the "Final Cut" updates here for the entire series as they are reworked.
Again, thanks to @EagleXIII for all his help in resolving those nagging anachronisms.

image.png IIHF Hockey (91) F4.bin

image.png IIHF Hockey 92 F4.bin

image.pngInternational Hockey 93 F.bin

image.pngIIHF 93 F.bin

image.pngIIHF 94 F.bin

image.pngIIHF 94 CE F2.bin

image.pngIIHF 95 F.bin

image.pngIIHF 95 WCE F.bin

image.pngIIHF 96 F.bin

image.pngIIHF 97 F.bin

image.pngIIHF 98 F.bin

image.pngIIHF 99.bin

OR

wideload.gifIIHF 99 - [Widescreen Edition 1.2].bin

image.pngIIHF 2000 [10AE].bin

-

Edited by von Ozbourne
updated rom
  • Thanks 4
  • Like 4

On 12/31/2020 at 12:09 AM, von Ozbourme said:

Rosters, for the most part, have been taken from each year's World Championships. Some provisions were made in cases where say, some teams only had one goalie, so I borrowed a backup from that year's Olympic roster, or had to improvise some data because apparently no one found it important enough to record what sweater numbers the Estonian National team wore 26 years ago... what the hell eh?

Not much help on the South Korean player photos... :lol:

Estonia
2 Kulpin Vyacheslav D
4 Rozhkov Gennadi D
5 Toruke Andrus F
6 Trubachov Oleg D
7 Rodin Dmitri D
8 Pochinok Roman D
9 Morkovnikov Sergei F
10 Parvoja Mati F
11 Puzanov Oleg F
12 Agnevshchikov Aleksandr D
14 Korshunov Mikhail F
15 Eapost Eduard F
16 Osipenkov Igor F
17 Loginov Ivan F
18 Boikov Sergei F
19 Dmitriev Aleksandr F
21 Lebedev Valeri F
22 Sildre Olle F
23 Zakharov Anatoli F
24 Valiullin Eduard F
1 Ahi Andrus GK
20 Skvortsov Vyacheslav GK

7 hours ago, Jkline3 said:

Not much help on the South Korean player photos... :lol:

Well geez, thanks a lot eh. ;)

Where did you find Estonia's numbers though? I have about four sites that I found decent for reference and the best I could do was adapt eliteprospects' stats from 1993.
[And if you happen to have Slovakia and Kazahkstan's numbers as well...]
I'll repost an updated ROM in a bit.

Game two in the World Championship Series will be the "first" game.

Released in 1991, IIHF Hockey was sort of the North American version of EA Hockey for PAL regions. The major difference however, is that it features the top 24 international teams based on final finishing position [as opposed to the IIHF's four year aggregate ranking system] with rosters from the 1991 World Championships including the last ever Soviet team.

[Interestingly enough, it was actually easier to find roster data overall than it was for '94. I only had to improvise on half of Belgium's team numbers]

Other features include:
Not much as I mainly just gave the original game a complete asset overhaul for the international teams. Given that this was only the third game I'd ever modded, it made things easier to stick to basics.
Reinstated the old square crease as the IIHF still used that at the time.
Still based player ratings as much as I could on players that were already "featured" in NHL Hockey. I would soon learn that this would mean a lot of players with some very low stats.
Couple of Easter eggs in there that might give away my home town, but they shouldn't detract.

Not much else to say about this one, so here are some pics. Hope you guys like it.

image.pngimage.png

image.pngimage.png

image.pngimage.png

IIHF Hockey (91).bin

Edited by von Ozbourme

I've accumulated a lot of media guides and stuff over the years... Never thought those Division C things would come in useful!

Slovakia

3 Hecl Radoslav D
4 Jasečko Stanislav D
5 Smerčiak Marián D
6 Marcinko Miroslav D
7 Sekeráš Ľubomír D
8 Kledrowetz Juraj D
9 Plavucha Vlastimil F
10 Haščák Oto F
14 Pohorelec Dušan F
15 Pucher René F
17 Rusznyák Karol F
18 Šatan Miroslav F
20 Rybovič Ľubomír F
21 Jánoš Branislav F
22 Kontšek Roman F
25 Medřik Stanislav D
27 Varholík Jan D
28 Kolnik Ľubomír F
29 Daňo Jozef F
30 Paukovček Pavol F
1 Hartmann Eduard GK
2 Dragan Jaromir GK

Kazakhstan

2 Nikitin Igor D
3 Zemlyanoy Igor D
6 Fedorchenko Viktor D
7 Bystryantsev Viktor D
8 Troshchinsky Aleksei D
9 Koreshkov Yevgeni F
10 Belyayevsky Igor F
11 Kryazhev Oleg F
12 Medvedev Igor D
15 Komisarov Maksim F
18 Shafranov Konstantin F
19 Kuskov Sergei F
20 Pchelyakov Andrei F
21 Sokolov Andrei D
22 Shipulin Roman F
23 Raisky Andrei F
26 Tunikov Vadim D
27 Borodulin Mikhail F
28 Sagymbaev Erlan F
29 Filatov Anatoli F
25 Eremeev Vitali GK
30 Nabokov Yevgeni GK

3 hours ago, von Ozbourme said:

Where did you find Estonia's numbers though? I have about four sites that I found decent for reference and the best I could do was adapt eliteprospects' stats from 1993.

Let me know what your sites are, I muddled through Russian in college so that opens up a whole other side (and sites) of hockey that is more interested in the international game.

14 hours ago, Jkline3 said:

Let me know what your sites are, I muddled through Russian in college so that opens up a whole other side (and sites) of hockey that is more interested in the international game.

Damn that is helpful. I've google translated some sites, Russian, Belorussian, Ukrainian, German.. but it's definitely harder to find them when your search tends to ignore the non-English ones.

As I mentioned, eliteprospects is usually the most complete for information that I can find with most international teams. But even they are missing player numbers for quite a few teams and season stats for the players in lower tier leagues.
legendsofhockey.net has an IIHF section that is pretty decent too. Site was built in 1997 and looks like it was never updated since and they stopped adding stats in 2014, but that's not a problem when I'm only concerned with the '90s.
Beyond that, I've found some sites that specialize, like the Aussie hockey hall of fame [found some team photos that I used]. Got British team info off a scanned programme page on a UK hockey site after following a link to a Tony Hand article. Got one Ukraine team photo from a retired player's facebook page. Came across a defunct Asia hockey league site... Luckily I like the act of researching, otherwise the quest for any kind of accuracy would drive me insane.

I do find quanthockey.com is nice for stats when making player ratings, but I also find it lacking for uniform numbers and when dealing with some lower pool teams.
hockey-reference and hockeydb are typically only concerned with the North American pro ranks, and thus all but useless to me, but like you say, typical North Americans don't take as much interest in the international game as I do.

I may have to humbly PM you before I post some of my later editions...

Time for IIHF Hockey '92!

Released in 1992, this game is the first sequel in the World Championship series and features the top 24 teams based on their final placing in that year's tournaments.

Game features include:
Based on the NHL Hockey (1991) engine and fills the gap I accidentally left between 1991 [NHL Hockey ©1991] and 1993 [NHLPA Hockey '93 ©1992] oops.
[Yeah I forgot that the year indicated the time of playoffs and the Pittsburgh vs Minnesota threw me. I suppose I could have just changed first one I made, but it was already done. And I liked having the Soviets, so why the hell not make both.]
So South Korea is out, Australia is in, and to dress up the roster update, [this is '90s EA, not 2010s EA] a number of graphical changes have been made.
Also, another shout out to @Jkline3 for the help with the roster numbers. Although it's too bad that the goalie bytes are greyed out in NOSE for this ROM, so any third stringers had to stay home.

On to the previews.
image.pngimage.png

image.pngimage.png

image.pngimage.png

IIHF Hockey 92.bin

Edited by von Ozbourme
  • Thanks 1
  • Like 2

Time for the third chapter in the World Championship series.

The '93 installment ushered in a change for the EA hockey franchise. The IIHF was not a fan of the fighting in the previous games and decided to not renew their licence unless it was removed. EA opted to keep the fighting [and even took the opportunity to make it more brutal with the addition of blood spilling injuries] and continued on without the IIHF licence. This didn't affect the quality of the new game as you know who can't revoke the licence to use their name? Countries. And this time out, EA was able to licence the names of the players representing the national teams of those countries. So 1993 features a name change and part of the reason why I refer to this as the "World Championship Series" [as opposed to just "IIHF" series].

Presenting: International Hockey '93!

Game features include:
Full rosters for the top 30 teams based on finishing position in the 1993
World Championships including, for the first time, real player names to go with their sweater numbers! [some of which had to be creatively shortened due to spacing constraints. [John Vanbiesbrk sympathizes]
Ice surface updated to 1993 markings. [had to change the original centre ice logo containment circle as the lack of ellipse bugged me]
Some features were coded in before the IIHF pulled the plug and remained in the finished product, like mentions to the IIHF in the lengthy Ron Barr delivered history lessons on each team.
The bottom half of the new "EA World Championship Trophy" might look familiar to savvy fans.
The caron on the top of the SEGA "S" might be cheeky reference to a long standing IIHF sponsor.
The ability to make players bleed, just not Gretzky, because he's not in this game.

The previews:
image.pngimage.png

image.pngimage.png

image.pngimage.png

image.pngimage.png

International Hockey 93.bin

• Thanks 1
  • Like 1

Things are going to get a bit interesting for a bit. After discovering slapshot67's 32-team ROM, I realized that I didn't want to scrap the 30-team ROM I had already mostly completed, but it presented an intriguing possibility. So...

Presenting IIHF '93!
Seeing the immediate popularity of the '93 edition of EA's burgeoning franchise, the IIHF realized that they would be best to maintain their relationship with the publisher. This decision was made early enough that EA could even release a 1.5 edition for that year if they were inclined to double dip. [never!]
Some changes were even made to differentiate the two games making it appealing enough to purchase both versions.

New game features include:
With the list of teams increased to 32, all 32 ranked member nations at the time could be included in the game. So welcome 31st ranked Isreal and 32nd ranked South Africa.
For the first time, the World Men's Ice Hockey Championships logo is displayed in game. Showing the logo for the '93 A Pool tournament in Munich, Germany.
The center ice logo was standardized for all teams, opting to display the IIHF globe logo, so all games are played in the Olympiahalle in Munich.
The IIHF did negotiate to have their branding increased, even adding their primary sponsor to the jumbotron ad.
The IIHF was still not a fan of the fighting, but a compromise was made where a fighting penalty would result in a 10 minute misconduct. [since typical match penalties were too hard to manage]
The players get to carry around the IIHF championship trophy when they win the playoffs.

Lets get to the back of the box previews
image.pngimage.png

image.pngimage.png

image.pngimage.png

image.pngimage.png

IIHF 93.bin

Edited by von Ozbourme
  • Thanks 1

Okay so it's been a few days. I thought this one was done, but encountered a series of major bugs when doing the final pass, but here goes nothing.

Hot on the heals of Midway's NBA Jam - Tournament Edition, EA and the IIHF come to an agreement that results in:
image.png

Features that differentiate this game from the original IIHF 94 include:
More teams! Welcome Spain and South Korea as the total number of teams is expanded from 30 to 32!
Some graphical enhancements to emphasize highlight the involvement with the World Championships in Italy this year!
image.png
So long Ron. Hello Ron! As our partnership with Mr. Barr comes to a close, we are happy to announce that Mr. MacLean has agreed to become our new presenter! [also happy that I found out how to apply the original colour back to the photo]
image.png
Realistic branding and sponsorships. Feels like being at a real game!
[sadly, the zamboni uses some weird sorting and i was not able to reliably modify the colours]
image.png
Center ice now features some international federation logos including Canada, Finland, Russia, U.S.A, and more!
image.png
Win the IIHF World Championship trophy!
image.png
See scores from around the league!
image.png
Brought to you by!
image.png

Back of the box sales pitch aside, it should also be noted that this game is based on skip and slapshot67's original 32-team ROM. Thanks guys!
Unfortunately that also means that like 32 team roms, this game includes the Winnipeg Freeze bug. [or in this case the Ukraine Freeze bug.  ...Ukrainian from Winnipeg, always getting crapped on]
I originally tried the player card breaking "fix" to alleviate the freezing, but I noticed that it also breaks the ability to play a full playoff run. And given the emphasis on World Championships, I felt it the lesser evil to just leave it as is. So just know that when playing in Soviet game, "U" breaks game! [this only affects Ukraine and U.S.A.]

Anyways, adoing no further.

IIHF 94 Champ Ed.bin

• Thanks 2
  • Like 2

Time for the fifth year and seventh installment of the World Championships series.

1995 was a year of major change for the EA franchise. Most notably, a complete player sprite overhaul and for the first time, you can play an entire season! As in entire, as in every single bloody game. Which is kind of ironic since at the time it came out, the major North American league wasn't playing any games, and wouldn't be for a while yet.
But if you were looking for way to grind out all the free time you had from not watching hockey, you could play as one of the top 26 teams by their final IIHF placing. The IIHF still did not want fighting in the game, so like with '94, it was not included.

Selling features include:
26 teams in playoff and season modes. Plus 2 more qualifiers in Slovenia and FR Yugoslavia available in exhibition game mode only.
Change your team as you Create, Trade, Import and Deport players.
Ron MacLean stays on as pre-game host.
Team Canada and U.S.A. have stayed on, licensing their logos for center ice in their respective arenas.

Other things to note with this ROM.
Player ratings are a bit more varied in this one. I basically created an overly complicated spreadsheet formula which took into account a players stats, team ranking and division level, to come up with an overall number. This was then geared towards whatever stats seemed to fit the player. Note that this was weighted to that year's tournament, meaning that if a player over/under achieved or played a different role compared to on their club team, it would be reflected in the ratings.
It also means a much wider gap in skill level between the A and C Pool teams that would be more reflective of the actual gap in skill level between the A and C Pool teams.
Shout out to @Jkline3for the help with the player numbers.
This was based on the original NHL 95 ROM [I finished it before I found out about the wonderful work kingraph has done. [hint for the future]
Unfortunately I was not able to find out how to edit the team ratings, so those numbers will not be reflective of the actual skill level of a given team's players.
The other, and one might say more detrimental, side effect of this is that the team's rating score will basically determine how well a team performs in simmed games. Which is odd when you consider that you can trade and sign created players. I know there is a road map out there, but nothing seemed to make any difference with this, so you get stuff like China's goalie winning the MVP award, or Estonia beating Canada in the gold medal game. At least players achieve at their proper level when you actually make the AI play the games.

Anyways, on to the previews!
image.pngimage.png

image.pngimage.png

The World Championships in 1995 were held in Stockholm and Gavle, Sweden. Used these as the Conferences. Used prominent league presidents for the division names. It pained me to admit that Bunny Ahearne would have the tenure to qualify as one of the four, the anti-Canadian swine.
image.pngimage.png

image.pngimage.png

IIHF 95.bin

Edited by von Ozbourme
  • Thanks 2
  • Like 1

Been a busy week, but it's time to release the eighth installment of the World Championships series.
With last year's Championship Edition doing well, EA saw fit to return to the well, ...er, I mean, give the fans more of what they wanted.

Introducing
image.png
Features added to this game include:
More teams! [This game was based on the amazing 34 team ROM by @UltraMagnus. So much appreciation to him and his work.]
The list of teams is bumped up from 28 to 34. Please welcome Belgium, Bulgaria, Croatia, Lithuania, South Korea and Spain!
image.png

More emphasis is placed the playoff series, so now every team is selectable in playoff mode, including Slovenia and F.R. Yugoslavia from the previous game.
Season mode is officially removed as it would have only featured the top 26 teams by alphabetical order. [however there may be an easy to find Easter egg related to that]
image.png

Some other graphical enhancements made possible by the new game's configuration.
Ron MacLean is still here!
image.png

Return of some additional national team logo licensing.
image.png

Not much else to say, so here it is.

IIHF 95 WCE.bin

• Love 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Like 1

Great Job van Osbourne - it deserves a a league to be created with the 94 World Championships - Could even be used to decide the NHL94 Sega Genesis World Champion each year 

• Thanks 1

Man. What an amazing thread of work!  I love international hockey. And this some great work! I’ve plastered it all over social media. Hopefully you’ll get a lot of downloads today. 

thank you for all of this!

• Thanks 1

16 hours ago, dmm1000 said:

Great Job van Osbourne - it deserves a a league to be created with the 94 World Championships - Could even be used to decide the NHL94 Sega Genesis World Champion each year 

Except run it concurrently with the NHL playoffs so many of the best players are unable to participate.
[Although to be fair, I'll take a 60 rating player giving it 100% over a 90 rating player giving 50% {See World Cup 2016}. That's just math.]

15 hours ago, halifax said:

Man. What an amazing thread of work!  I love international hockey. And this some great work! I’ve plastered it all over social media. Hopefully you’ll get a lot of downloads today. 

thank you for all of this!

Wow. Thanks man!

5 hours ago, MonkeyHead said:

Waiting for the 2019 version, just to recreate GB's dramatic OT win against France.

That was pretty intense.
[It's funny because watching that game actually turned my son into a Great Britain fan, to the point where when we play one of these ROMs, he'll usually pick the Brits]

Actually that is probably second in my favourite games that I've watched in recent years next to Latvia vs France in 2015.
[The premise being in that game that the loser would be relegated] And Latvia led 2-0 going into the third. Midway through the final frame, France starts to push hard and their efforts pay off with a goal. All of a sudden it's 2-1. Okay, Latvia just needs to weather the storm and get through this, but momentum has swung hard in France's favour. Suddenly, the Austrian team, is feeling nervous. Austria you say? They aren't even playing in this game! Why yes, they are in the stands watching because the outcome of this game could affect them too. Turns out that all three teams were within two points in the standings with Austria in the lead. Buuuuut... if there is a split of the three points this game is worth, then things might get interesting. And interesting they get as with less than five minutes in regulation France ties it up! Now Latvia is lucky as they only need 1 point to avoid relegation, so they tell Kitty to bar the door and simply try to make it to overtime, which they do as the third period ends with no further scoring. Now Latvia is and Austria are tied, but Latvia holds the tie breaker and France is a point behind with the overtime point still up for grabs. Overtime solves nothing, so it's on to the shoot out. Now, if Latvia's Edgars Masalskis can outshine France's Cristobal Huet (both of whom were their respective team's MVPs), France will finish last, but if France wins in the shootout, there will be a three way tie at the bottom, where Austria actually gets ranked last based on tie breakers.

You can likely guess what the result of the shoot out was, but suffice to say, that was the most exciting twenty minutes of hockey I'd ever witnessed in spite of the supposedly detrimentally low skill level of each team (and in spite of the shootout) as the level of desperation to simply not lose was not only easier to get invested in than watching a pair of club teams I mostly don't care about duke it out for the Cup year after year, it's also a lot more dramatic as most people can understand that level of pride in your team. Especially since it's a lot less common to see players get traded to different countries.

Okay, it's that time again.
The IIHF series is getting another graphics and engine overall, resulting in the nicest looking game in the series to date.

Presenting the sixth main yearly installment [ninth overall] of the World Championship Series, IIHF 96!
image.pngimage.png

This one was definitely the most fun to do from an art perspective, as evidenced by the fact that I had banged out the complete graphical update in about two weeks. It's just the roster data that might have taken another two months to input...

Getting to the game features:
This game was based on the NHL 96 engine, so it features the top 26 teams [based on final standings] and no additional unranked teams due to there being no All-Star teams that year, because the lockout shortened 1995 season had no All-Star game. [Seems backwards? I know, but here we are.]

More game modes! Awesome new team selection logos!
image.pngimage.png
[I'll mention a couple bits of unfinished business right here. Due to this game not being as compatible with NOSE as the previous games, the Main Menu options window is simply inaccessible. So setting the default game setup options and match up is not something I was able to figure out. Additionally I was not able to figure out where the team ranking data was kept, so after breaking the game a bunch of times, I gave up and decided to have some fun with the rankings. I will note that the team rankings have way more to do with how a team does in simmed games than actual player ratings. It's also too bad that EARE only works with 94]

New pause menu logos! These are actually the same logos referenced in the season mode calendar too, so, went for an UI matching style there.
Also, With the removal of the pre-game preview, Ron MacLean and player cards are out, but TSN and other prominent sponsors signed on.
image.pngimage.png

New player sprites! And the return of some licenced team center ice logos.
Compete for the IIHF World Championship trophy in a single game, best of seven or full season mode!
image.pngimage.png

Win it all and get the glory. [hot damn, I just remembered how annoying editing that team photo was. more on that later]
image.pngimage.png

Don't necessarily expect this one to be very popular, but hope it's liked anyway.

IIHF 96.bin

Edited by von Ozbourme
  • Thanks 2
  • Like 1

18 hours ago, DeterminedApathy said:

Nice. 96 is one of my favorites so I've been wondering if you were going to do that one, and to what extent it was hackable. The effort is appreciated.

Thanks! I'm sure someone with more coding expertise would be able to manipulate a lot more stuff than I could, but I did find the artwork a lot easier to work with. Especially since in this one, all of the colour palette and tile order data is directly after the sprites themselves. So I basically just bounced between tile molester and hex workshop and in most cases it was pretty easy to do what I wanted to do without a lot of messing about.

The winning team photo was a bit of a headache though. Just got reminded that the tile palettes are multi-layered and for some weird reason I had to hand draw a lot of the sprite in tile molester rather than importing an image. I don't know why, but simply trying to fill in the gap in the player that the Stanley Cup used to cover would just mess up swaths of pixel colours. It would look fine in tile molester, but playing the ROM would show the grey shadows changed to bright blue or some other weird thing. Took me about three hours and twelve iterations just to stop that same nonsense from happening in 97 [spoiler alert]. I think if I weren't trying to change the trophy sprite and just had to edit the giant list of palette data it wouldn't have been a problem, but we can't have that now can we?

• 2 weeks later...

I absolutely love this series of romhacks. Keep up the great work! '91 and '94 CE are my personal favorites. I play these on a MegaEverdriveX3 in my office, and I love the attention to detail of the sprite work. I would love to play the '93 romhacks, but for some reason '93 romhacks are not able to play on a native Sega Genesis (BlackScreen). I am aware that it is a known issue, and I've been looking into how to fix that via Google, and playing around with the Hex code, but no luck. I am able to play the '93 games via emulator (Gens), but I cannot emphasize how much I would love to play '93 romhacks on a native Sega. 

• Thanks 1