NHL'94 Forums

SNES Draft League Signups/Discussion Thread

annatar

After discussing with a few other people it seems like a great time to revive the SNES draft league (SDL) after a several year hiatus. This post is to indicate your interest and make suggestions or ask any questions you might have about the format.

I would like to run this starting this winter with games starting after Classic finishes. Since it will naturally take some time to form a league and run a draft, we can get the ball rolling straight away. @dangler has some experience with editing the rom and has volunteered to help out, which is great! @TecmoJon will also help out with commish duties. So thanks in advance to those buds.

Proposed format:

Classic rules: 5 minute periods, penalties on, no offsides, line changes off.

Draft: Snake draft. Meaning if you pick 1st in round 1 you go last in round 2, and so on. Everyone drafts 6F, 4D and 2 goalies. Players would be redrafted for any subsequent seasons (i.e., no keepers).

Trading: To be determined, but in the past trades had been allowed.

All teams are unique so standings and stats would be tracked on nhl94online.com site as usual, subject to approval by@chaos :)

The player pool is all the players from the classic rom. You can pick any team you want since it's a fantasy draft format. The players will be edited into your lineup. You don't have to use all of your guys but they are available as subs as needed. I believe in the past we had edited out home/road advantages to make all teams equal. I would propose doing the same here. I don't know if hot/cold ratings changes can be edited for players in SNES and I'm not sure I would want to do this anyway. To be discussed.

I'm not personally in favour of turning off penalties, or editing the duration of penalties, but am open to discussing it. 

Depending on the number of interested coaches, my preference would be to run two divisions with the potential for promotion and relegation in the future. Under this format we can still do 1 draft, but coaches would be split off into two leagues. The number of games would depend on the number of teams. SDL IV was 15 teams and 56 games which I think is on the high side. It would be at least 40 games with checkpoints.

If you're interested please respond below, and feel free to reserve a team. First come first served. We may have to cap the number of participants at some point and move people onto a waiting list, but let's see how it goes.

See you on the ice buds.

Sign-ups:

See the list below compiled by Tecmo Jon.

As of now the league is capped at 26 coaches so we are full unless people drop out. If you want to be put on a list to potentially replace anyone in future, just let me know.

Edited by annatar
  • Love 2
  • Like 1

Awesome. I’m in.

I’d like to be Ottawa but don’t really care. I guess the home/away advantages carry over to this rom? Or can they be made even across the board? Probably a question that someone like @kingraph can answer.

FWIW I think trades should be allowed for a couple days post draft. My reasoning is because you could draft a player early on but then they don’t really fit with your team makeup when all is said and done.

Big thank you to @annatar @dangler and @TecmoJon

Edited by Bob Kudelski
  • Like 1

I'd be in and take NYR if we're calling dibs.   If it were up to a vote, I'd vote for no penalties since they are random and dumb and often negate the benefits of injuring other players.  Injuring opponents should always be encouraged and rewarded.

• Haha 1

I'm definitely in, don't care on team I'll wait until later and make a selection. Couple comments on editing. I can definitely switch all the players on the teams and set lineups. I'm not aware how to edit home/away advantages or penalty time lengths but if that's desired I could probably figure it out with a little digging into it and discussions with smoz. I'm pretty sure editing is very similar to the Gens version.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, dangler said:

I'm not aware how to edit home/away advantages or penalty time lengths but if that's desired I could probably figure it out with a little digging into it and discussions with smoz. I'm pretty sure editing is very similar to the Gens version.

I feel this would be ideal if could be done, otherwise maybe we could reserve the teams with Strong/Average advantages for the weaker players to help parity. 

I'll keep this here as a an editable post on teams claimed just in case people are desperate for a specific team. Also, these are subject to future free for all if we need to adjust for home/away splits:

@annatar- commish/Anaheim

@TecmoJon- Mr. Smithers of the operation/Florida

@kidswasted- Boston

@dcicon5148- Buffalo

@Bob Kudelski- Ottawa

@Mooney- Rangers

@Triple A- Islanders

@thatdrizzle- San Jose

@dangler- rom creator/Detroit

@koke_45- Vancouver

@baberg18- Montreal

@McMarkis- New Jersey

@lego- Quebec

@Gambi- Toronto

@birdman8686- Calgary

@TheProfessor- Hartford

@Harriman/Slippery Pete - Washington

@Jammer - KO94IIsnes- Pittsburgh

@DanK- Chicago

@Decadent - St. Louis 

@Ellis - Edmonton

@Fed- Tampa

@angryjay93- Winnipeg

@skills324- Philadelphia

@stewy- Dallas

@TokenToma- Los Angeles

Edited by TecmoJon
finalized teams

10 minutes ago, TecmoJon said:

I'll keep this here as a an editable post on teams claimed just in case people are desperate for a specific team:

@annatar- commish/no preference

@TecmoJon- Mr. Smithers of the operation/Florida

@kidswasted- Boston

@dcicon5148- no preference

@Bob Kudelski- Ottawa

@Mooney- Rangers

@Triple A- Islanders

@thatdrizzle- San Jose

@dangler- no preference

@koke_45- Vancouver

@baberg18- Montreal

@McMarkis- no preference

@lego- Quebec

@Gambi- Toronto

@birdman8686- Calgary

I suggest keeping these dibs as tentative pending the editing of the rom to equal out teams.  If that can't be done, tier the teams based on the home/away advantages and align that with the draft order.  If the preferred team is in that tier then its good to go.  It looks like half the teams might be considered neutral Tier if you consider strong/weak a wash, and many folks might get their preferred team anyway.  I don't know if picking ~20+ and having a disadvantaged team would be too substantial, though. 

3 minutes ago, Mooney said:

I suggest keeping these dibs as tentative pending the editing of the rom to equal out teams.  If that can't be done, tier the teams based on the home/away advantages and align that with the draft order.  If the preferred team is in that tier then its good to go.  It looks like half the teams might be considered neutral Tier if you consider strong/weak a wash, and many folks might get their preferred team anyway.  I don't know if picking ~20+ and having a disadvantaged team would be too substantial, though. 

noted in the team selection post above that this is all pending the home/away split issue being resolved. Though if we max out the number of participants, could be a moot point in the long run as you have also mentioned. 

Great response so far! This is awesome. We have a soft cap at 26 teams and hard cap at 28 teams as I can't really imagine doing more than one draft and rom, and 28 already assumes we can take over the all star teams. I am hoping we can. There will be a slight issue with goalies as probably a couple teams will not be able to draft a backup, but I don't see that as a deal breaker. 

@TokenToma has just confirmed on discord he wants to play and will take LA if still available, @Ellis and @Decadent also confirmed that they are in (were already on the list).

Edit:

The cap will be 26 teams for this season.

Grillbit will be first one in if someone has to drop out for any reason before we start drafting, since the others had asked to be available as replacements later on. Otherwise that list will be the priority for replacements.

Looking forward to this!

Edited by annatar