NHL'94 Forums

UltraMagnus

On 1/12/2021 at 1:00 PM, smozoma said:

Interesting.. I suppose if this actually worked it would be neat on an emulator where you could stretch the screen to get the proper aspect ratio.

https://www.hdretrovision.com/blog/2017/1/18/genesis-games-in-480i-too

So you'd probably look through a trace of the game for where it accesses $C00004 and change the data written there, probably to $8C83

OK you guys definitely know your stuff. I was perusing the official 1989 Megadrive/Genesis software guide and came across a few tidbits that relate to this. I took some screenshots.

It seems to me that its also possible to change the display scroll window size and dimensions. It would make sense since they would want to have the capability to render and display a vertical game (like a shooter). They mention that in the manual. Although I don't believe sega made any vertical (display) games for the genesis, although maybe they did in Japan. But such games wouldn't display properly unless paired with a wide CRT (put vertically in a cabinet) which they had back in the day for special arcade games. According to the manual, the machine renders the game (mostly) on a 512x512 square, but only 320x240 is displayed (the display window). This is to account for scrolling or moving to the right horizontally, or going up down vertically. Obviously you know this but, I wonder. You said it may only work in a emulator if its possible and that probably is true, but the hardware (from what I've read) may have been technically capable, even though they never used it. I mean everyone used a standard 4/3 display TV in 1989 so it would make sense not to bother with that feature. (480i 8x16v + vert display)

I honestly don't know enough to make total sense of it, hence I'm forwarding this info to more capable individuals.

LOL the rabbit hole deepens.

noninterlacemode.png

scrollingscreensize.png

verticaldisplayoptions.png

verticalinterlace.png

interlacemode2cell.png

• Love 1
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I will take a pastrami on rye, dab of mustard... oh wait...this is the wrong line...

lol

VERY generous of you to take requests!  Keep up the great work and contributions to this community! 

Cheers!

• Haha 1

On 1/27/2021 at 11:34 AM, Logan Clow said:

Some mods I would be interested in:
CFL mod for NFL Blitz (N64)

Modern roster updates for Major League Baseball (NES), Madden 98, and NBA Live 98 (Both SNES)

I go double on the cfl, and maybe xfl too

On 2/3/2021 at 3:05 AM, DeterminedApathy said:

XFL could be interesting but I think you'd have to combine both incarnations to have a decent number of teams. Even then I think that only comes up to 16.

What About a CFL/XFL/WFL one or a WFL & USFL one. those could be interesting

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/21/2021 at 5:38 PM, UltraMagnus said:

Maybe. Need to mod the logos. But the teams would be just the jersey numbers. 

Are you working on Coach K?  I'm trying to see a version with just the top 6 conferences based on the '20 Rosters.  Here's a NCAA version on the NBA 96 model

NCAA Live 20WSS(3)(3).bin

Thank you all for your continued input. Which is making my free time outside work difficult since these are all great projects and ideas. Just to be clear there is no peeking order here. When I complete them, I complete and post. Some have some requests that might have never been done, and will take some time do to finding the right information to mod. 

Keep providing your requests. They all will be fulfilled in some way or time. If you want to see your mods come along quicker, here is what I need directly from you.

• Images
  • The breakdown of the league you want (Teams if there is a limit, since not all roms can be expanded right now)
  • Some sort of roster breakdowns.

Below are the ones Ive begun taking on, but will be completed.

• @Hope NCAA Live - Yes this will be one I will be completing. Just found all the logos and rosters and will be completing soon.
  • @Sargon NBA Jam TE - Already in the works, found all the players, images, ratings and logos. Just need the time to put in. 
  • @jnc121978 @EmpireBowl @dunkle93NHL series (95/96/97/98) are time consuming projects, especially ones like OHL, WHL, QMJHL, World Cup. Unless, Im getting support from other members to help. I recently completed one for EIHL with @MonkeyHead @LaTormenta where they provided the rosters, ratings, jersey kits, images and I did the editing. We worked well. That is what I need for the other leagues. Since, there isnt much members who have expanded outside 94. 95 is starting to get love thanks to @smozoma @kingraph @Asher413 @Sauce @Jkline3 and others who have helped me progress. But the other years 96/97/98 will be needing some time to dive into each one. 
  • @DeterminedApathy @dunkle93 XFL/CFL/WFL rom - This is on my radar as there are alot of football games, but not many that can allow modding easily. The one I determined is NFL Primetime since Ive already modded all the logos, jerseys and the rosters are easier to do since it was the very first mod attempt I tried over 10 years ago.
  • @Tabs3121 NFL Blitz PS1 - Sorry man, but this one is a back burner as of right now. But I will get to it. Just time is all I need to get others Ive started done first.
  • @mack Triple Play Baseball - Sega -- Will have a 2021 roster update completed before opening day with the player stats as well If time permits.
  • @dunkle93 World Series Baseball - Will be getting a NCAA mod. Ive already begun it. 
  • @Nabby202099 KHL 2010 - WIll be done, but not until I can complete a base rom for all the leagues I find are interesting to do for. I've completed a KHL 2021 rom that you can find it below and provide your input for the 2010 season.
  • @Cutter The CHL rom can be done and if you can come up with the 30-34 teams you want (their year that you want represented).
  • @HITTER42 Madden 98 - Im actually working with the editor creator for this mod to speed thing up. Hold tight and it will be completed.

KHL _21 (95).png

KHL _21 (95).bin

Edited by UltraMagnus
  • Love 4
  • Thanks 3
  • Like 3

14 hours ago, UltraMagnus said:

NHL series (95/96/97/98) are time consuming projects, especially ones like OHL, WHL, QMJHL, World Cup. Unless, Im getting support from other members to help. I recently completed one for EIHL with @MonkeyHead @LaTormenta where they provided the rosters, ratings, jersey kits, images and I did the editing. We worked well. That is what I need for the other leagues. Since, there isnt much members who have expanded outside 94. 95 is starting to get love thanks to @smozoma @kingraph @Asher413 @Sauce @Jkline3 and others who have helped me progress. But the other years 96/97/98 will be needing some time to dive into each one. 

Just raising my hand, but I've actually road mapped and figured my way around most of the 96-98 engined games. Still a few holes to fill as far as code work goes, but I've gotten enough to go on to do complete graphical facelifts anyway. If you're interesting in diving into those I can save you some time by sharing my notes [just need to see about getting them into a format that doesn't use so much shorthand] and noting what I still need to figure out. [with which having a collaborator would help me out too]

• Love 1

On 3/5/2021 at 2:39 PM, Hope said:

Are you working on Coach K?  I'm trying to see a version with just the top 6 conferences based on the '20 Rosters.  Here's a NCAA version on the NBA 96 model

NCAA Live 20WSS(3)(3).bin 2 MB · 8 downloads

Where did you find this mod? Since, it has a part of my mod in it for Wichita State logo.

On 3/11/2021 at 8:51 AM, UltraMagnus said:

@Cutter The CHL rom can be done and if you can come up with the 30-34 teams you want (their year that you want represented).

I was hoping for all time teams, I can do research for you on the teams involved, I can also give u Memorial Cup Champions for 30-34 teams and u can easily look that up on hockey-reference.com or whereever... up to you

• Love 1

On 3/18/2021 at 7:47 AM, UltraMagnus said:

Either one works for me. But like I mentioned it takes time to do these. But if the person is willing to help provide the information makes these go alot faster. I personally would like the 30-34 team Memorial CUp one.

I'll figure out which ones to do, I wont do multiple Mem Cup champs from same team (as a resident of Kitchener, i know the Rangers won 2 Cups but I would have to pick one for example)

• Like 1

On 3/14/2021 at 1:13 PM, UltraMagnus said:

Where did you find this mod? Since, it has a part of my mod in it for Wichita State logo.

I can't remember where.  I believe it was somewhere on this site.

• 2 weeks later...