NHL'94 Forums

How to find OFFSET IDs in an edited NHL94 ROM?

SinDonuts

How can OFFSET IDs (for team selection logos, banners, etc) be found in an edited ROM? I'm editing @Sauce 's NHL2021 ROM to switch out the Seattle Kraken with my own local beer league team, the Orlando Fireants. I've made a bit of progress thanks to his (and other's) direct help, but I'd prefer to quit bugging him every time I have a Q about his ROM.

Baby steps:

NHL94-FireAnts-TacDead.png

I've used Tile Molester, TilePRO, Nose, and HxD tools to make my ROM edits. But to find specific OFFSET locations in the ROM to make graphic edits, I have no idea how to find those OFFSET IDs other than to ask Sauce each time about it.

Thanks

Sin

33 minutes ago, SinDonuts said:

How can OFFSET IDs (for team selection logos, banners, etc) be found in an edited ROM? I'm editing @Sauce 's NHL2021 ROM to switch out the Seattle Kraken with my own local beer league team, the Orlando Fireants. I've made a bit of progress thanks to his (and other's) direct help, but I'd prefer to quit bugging him every time I have a Q about his ROM.

Baby steps:

NHL94-FireAnts-TacDead.png

I've used Tile Molester, TilePRO, Nose, and HxD tools to make my ROM edits. But to find specific OFFSET locations in the ROM to make graphic edits, I have no idea how to find those OFFSET IDs other than to ask Sauce each time about it.

Thanks

Sin

You told me that you wanted to replace Seattle with your own team.  Per our IMs, I have provided you with the TM locations for center ice logo, team selection logo, team banners and home/away banners.  That's all you need to edit/update to replace one team with another unless you wish to edit player headshots.  If so, I will IM them to you now.

I changed the headshot hex pointer locations for you a couple of days ago so you're set there.  6x6 sizing in TM.  Color palette 812940.  Chose the last codec option (forgot what's it's called).  There is also a tutorial for adding/editing headshots on this site (just, forgot where it is...).  But, a simple search should uncover it.  There are also tutorials for how to do the team banners, selection logos (JKline did one) and home-away banners.

Once I IM you the headshot locations, you'll have everything you need to replace out that team to be your own.

I'm not trying to be mean when I say this but, but if you're looking for something else, you need to be more specific for folks, here, to jump in and help.

Cheers!

Edited by Sauce

I 100% appreciate all of your help. I was just asking the community on how some noob like me could identify OFFSET locations in someone else's modded ROM without their direct help.

In other words: If you got hit by a bus and got sent to the shadow realm, then could no longer offer the OFFSETs for your edited ROM, how would someone be able to find out all of those OFFSETs in your ROM? Is there some sort of tool or process a noob could use to find out these IDs?

7 minutes ago, SinDonuts said:

I 100% appreciate all of your help. I was just asking the community on how some noob like me could identify OFFSET locations in someone else's modded ROM without their direct help.

In other words: If you got hit by a bus and got sent to the shadow realm, then could no longer offer the OFFSETs for your edited ROM, how would someone be able to find out all of those OFFSETs in your ROM? Is there some sort of tool or process a noob could use to find out these IDs?

If there is nothing via search, than there is none for the 32 team rom.  There is for 30 teams and much of it, translates to the 32 team rom.  Much of what I learned came from those tutorials and playing around and having "ah-ha" moments.  There were two individuals who answered specific IM questions for me.  I will not mention them by name for their privacy but, again, I was specific to them in what I needed to know.  Other items... I posted here and some other folks addressed.  The community is great that way especially if they understand what you need to know to do your work.

Also, again, I have already given you what you asked for so I am confused on what it is you now need?  I gave you the offsets for Seattle... all of them.  You said that was the only team you wanted to edit.

There are also 2 other modders for the 32 team rom plus, some other hex geniuses around here.  If I get hit by bus, you'll be fine.  ;)

My Q is just asking how a noob modder (like me) could grab anyone's edited ROM and create a list of all the necessary OFFSET locations to be able to make their desired graphic edits without having to request the assistance of the original modder. If I have the ROM (bin) open in one of the modding tools (like TM or TilePRO etc) and find what looks like a team logo (albeit, all jumbled up), is there someway to point to the first tile in that logo and get the offset id so it doesn't looks so garbled and I can make a clean copy-pasta edit to that specific sprite?

This is what I'm requesting: How can a noob (without direct help from the original modder) figure out OFFSET ID/location/etc of an in-game graphic/sprite in an edited NHL94 ROM? What is the process or tool or etc a noob can use to gather their own list of OFFSETs for a ROM?

I'm asking these questions here in the open forum so future noobs like me don't fill up your inbox with the same Qs/requests again if they have the same ideas as me.

Edited by SinDonuts

5 minutes ago, chaos said:

did you look at this? - 

Gives you a starting point to look for the logos.

Thanks @chaos!  Those are the tutorials that I was referencing, above, as they were SUPER helpful to me when I got started.  Thanks for locating/posting them!

The issue is the list of offsets for the 32 team ROM was never posted anywhere.  So every time someone starts tinkering with the 32 team ROM, there's a lot of confusion because all of the offsets are different from the 30 team ROM!

If someone has all of the 32 team offsets, it'd be SUPER helpful to create a post like this: https://forum.nhl94.com/index.php?/topic/18386-reference-nhl95-34-team-rom-offsets/ (pat myself on the back), which mirrors the original @wboypost.

I would do it myself, but I have not done any editing in the 32 team ROM.  At least start it, and others can add in to make a comprehensive list.  

• Thanks 1