NHL'94 Forums

SNES Rom help

UOfootball

Hello, 

I am brand new to the emulator world. I have been playing the SNES version of '94 on Android (Samsung Note 20+) with a GameSir controller accessory. The emulator I use is Super Retro 16. It works perfectly and I would love to play with 2021 rosters and teams but can't figure it out. Any help would be greatly appreciated! 

Thanks, do you know if there is anything close to today's rosters available somewhere? It's crazy because when the original NHL '94 came out I had Sega Genesis. But I was the only one of anyone I knew that was a Genesis kid. I had to learn to play the SNES version if I wanted to play with my friends. I found this awesome community but it is mostly Sega. Go figure! 

2 hours ago, UOfootball said:

Thanks for the help everyone. Curious why the Genesis version has such a bigger following than Super Nintendo. 

It seems like there is a Canada/USA split. In Canada, everyone played NHL94 on SNES as a kid, and in the USA everyone played on the Genesis.

When I was a kid (in Ontario), my friends and I rented a SNES from the video store every few months. We never even considered renting a Genesis. I have no idea why, that's just how it was. Maybe we never got the Genesis ads so never got that "Does what Ninten-don't!" influence, and Nintendo had the cultural monopoly due to the NES (I didn't even know Sega Master System existed until just a few years ago).

So if you look at the world King of 94 ratings, the SNES ratings are almost entirely Canadians, and the Sega ratings are mostly Americans: SNES / Sega

Another thing that influences why Sega has a good update scene but SNES doesn't is simply that 20 years ago there was a guy called wboy who did a ton of great work hacking the Sega version, and created a point-and-click roster editor called NOSE. He also added more teams to the game, and figured out how to edit the graphics. So there are a lot more resources and possibilities available for hacking the Sega game, so there are more hacks for it.

• Thanks 1
  • Like 1

Wow thanks for the back story. This stuff is always so interesting to me. Maybe growing up in Alaska the Canadian SNES influence just spread our way. Fortunately I was able to re-map the controller buttons for my GameSir to replicate the SNES on the Genesis emulator. I'll admit the Sega version is does look a lot better. Cheers!