NHL'94 Forums

NHL '94-ish: featuring the ideal 90's rosters *UPDATED to v1.1*

Desired display name

This is a roster hack where I've placed the best early 90's NHL players in their most fondly remembered early 90's teams. I've mostly based the rosters on the '92 to '96 era. The golden age of NHL games on the SNES.

It isn't a perfect science but every player is on only one team, no duplicates, and 100% of players have their proper jersey numbers, with no duplicates there either. Every player rating has been meticulously arranged to reflect player abilities as I remember them. The accuracy is remarkable, folks.

Hextall on the Flyers, Nedved on the Canucks, Gartner on the Capitals, LeClair on the Flyers, Amonte on the Blackhawks, Kariya on the Ducks, you get the point...

The jerseys are pretty accurate (or as close as I could get them) and the player ratings have been boosted to improve gameplay. The better players are rated around 95-100 while second liners tend to be in the 85-90 overall range. This is the 90's hockey fan ideal rom. Plenty of hidden surprises if you delve deep into the rosters.

It's a NHL '94 rom hack I made using statto's NHL '94 editing tool. So a big thanks to him for making that program many years ago.

Enjoy!

civm6Ii.pngnxllJEa.pngRiSjyRJ.png1E23Y0r.png83h5WGt.pngusS2Iyn.png0Btb26b.png

NHL '94-ish V.1.1.smc

Edited by Desired display name
  • Thanks 2
  • Like 3

I've updated the ROM. It's mostly uniform improvements & some additional text adjustments using the HEX editor. I think nostalgic hockey fans such as yourselves will really dig this one. It features many of your Hockey Night in Canada favourites, and there are many subtle nods to the NHL series on the Super Nintendo scattered throughout this ROM. I've also optimized the colours on this ROM for viewing on a Sony Trintron. 

If anyone can figure out a way to slim Ron Barr down so he looks a bit more like CBC's Ron MacLean, this would be greatly appreciated.

One roster move has been made, involving the Buffalo Sabres & the New York Islanders. Benoit Hogue has been traded for Randy Wood in order to even out the rosters a bit more. The Islanders had a very bare second line in the previous version of the game. 

Another thing I'd like to eventually do is to replace the rosters of the Wales All-Stars & Campbell All-Stars with the 1987 Edmonton Oilers & the 1989 Moscow CSKA.

Thank you & good luck players.

NHL '94-ish V.1.1.smc

g3qH79g.png

Edited by Desired display name
  • Thanks 2
  • Like 1

• Desired display name changed the title to NHL '94-ish: featuring the ideal 90's rosters *UPDATED to v1.1*
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 9 months later...
On 3/4/2021 at 3:16 AM, Desired display name said:

It isn't a perfect science but every player is on only one team, no duplicates

If you decide to do another Era-style or Greatest-style ROM, then me personally, I wouldn't mind duplicates:  It'd be really interesting seeing (for example), Wayne Gretzky on Edmonton, Los Angeles, St.Louis, & New York R.

Of course, then, you'd have instances like Jagr on like 9 different teams !!!

16 hours ago, Europia79 said:

If you decide to do another Era-style or Greatest-style ROM, then me personally, I wouldn't mind duplicates:  It'd be really interesting seeing (for example), Wayne Gretzky on Edmonton, Los Angeles, St.Louis, & New York R.

Of course, then, you'd have instances like Jagr on like 9 different teams !!!

• Like 1

• 1 year later...