NHL'94 Forums

ROM Stats and Oddities

3 hours ago, Premium said:

What does Aggression do?

From Kingraph's strategy site:

"Aggressiveness is a leftover attribute from ’93. Determines how likely a player is to fight.  Unsure if this does anything in ’94."

I dunno if it is true, but sounds good enough for me.

Edited by aqualizard
  • Like 1

15 hours ago, aqualizard said:

"Aggressiveness is a leftover attribute from ’93. Determines how likely a player is to fight.  Unsure if this does anything in ’94."

Off-topic, but I'm looking at the site, and I see what @kingraph listed for Agility/Speed is not what I thought.

It says:

Agility - How quickly a player stops and turns, deking ability. Also affects acceleration

Speed - How quickly a player achieves top speed (acceleration)

I thought Agility was the speed at which a player accelerates from a stationary position. Then it transitions into the player's SPEED stat

Speed is how fast a player will skate after the agility acceleration (or deceleration) - so not everyone has the same top speed. The top speed of a player is the higher of the agility/speed stat

Example: Brian Leetch has 6 agility and 3 speed: This means Brian Leetch starts skating at 6 speed but then decelerates to 3 speed over time

Example: Peter Bondra has 4 agility and 6 speed: This means Peter Bondra starts skating at 4 speed but then accelerates to 6 speed over time

EDIT: Also, I think weight affects agility speed, but not speed speed. I think there is a multiplier, where 7 weight is the average. anything lighter makes you faster, and anything heavier makes you slower. So for example, Lemieux is 10 weight, 5 agility.. I think that's the equivalent of let's say 6 weight 4 agility.

Edited by Premium
  • Thanks 1

17 hours ago, aqualizard said:

So, I always thought aggression was tied to fighting and likelihood of taking penalties (a 2-for-1 if you will).  I just ran some tests, with two teams dialed down to zero, for aggression, for each player, and still saw plenty of penalties in each game that I simmed.  So, as theorized, it appears to be carry-over and serves no purpose in '94.  

Now, checking rating is another story...
I dialed down certain players to zero and only left a couple as 4 or 5.  In each game that I simmed, those who were zero were getting the same amount of hits/checks registered as those with a 4 or 5.  In some cases, more.  In games in which I didn't tamper with checking ratings, left them "as is", I still saw guys with a 1 rating getting the same amount, if not more, than guys with a 3 or 4 rating.  It's possible that this will always be the case due to the +/- of hot/cold on certain attributes.

I used a rom which has Smozoma's hack applied. This way, I can get a checking count per player.  Not sure if that makes a difference or not as I haven't been able to test on one without the hack. 

Edited by Sauce

1 hour ago, Premium said:

Off-topic, but I'm looking at the site, and I see what @kingraph listed for Agility/Speed is not what I thought.

It says:

Agility - How quickly a player stops and turns, deking ability. Also affects acceleration

I thought Agility was the speed at which a player accelerates from a stationary position. Then it transitions into the player's SPEED stat

Speed is how fast a player will skate after the agility acceleration (or deceleration) - so not everyone has the same top speed. The top speed of a player is the higher of the agility/speed stat

Example: Brian Leetch has 6 agility and 3 speed: This means Brian Leetch starts skating at 6 speed but then decelerates to 3 speed over time

Example: Peter Bondra has 4 agility and 6 speed: This means Peter Bondra starts skating at 4 speed but then accelerates to 6 speed over time

EDIT: Also, I think weight affects agility speed, but not speed speed. I think there is a multiplier, where 7 weight is the average. anything lighter makes you faster, and anything heavier makes you slower. So for example, Lemieux is 10 weight, 5 agility.. I think that's the equivalent of let's say 6 weight 4 agility.

This is interesting and worth testing either by a side-by-side with two players or frame by frame analysis.  I still think agility is more "left/right" ability with the stick rotation and not a straightforward acceleration.  Something weird thinking about Leetch skating at 6 and decelerate to 3.  I think Leetch can turn on a dime or spin around quicker than others.  

I do agree that speed is more top speed.  No way everyone is same speed. 

5 hours ago, Premium said:

It says:

@jer_33 did a test on speed and acceleration:

I was under the impression that speed is the top speed. Agility is how fast they get to that top speed (acceleration). Agility also affects turning and how quick you can stop.

• Thanks 1
  • Like 1

Not to interrupt the discussion regarding speed/agility but I want to retract what I said earlier (couple of posts ago) about aggression.  Aggression has been confirmed to be tied to fighting tendency in NHL 93 but in NHL 94, it is most definitely tied to penalties.  Looking at stats from the 1992-93 season, players with the highest PIMs were assessed 6s and 5s on down, in the game.  So, it makes sense or why bother even having the numbers match stats?  It's not an exact science as to who will take penalties and when but it does seem likely that certain players may be prone to take more or at least, each game, if given more ice time.

I did some more sim tests and took four teams in which I made all forwards and Dmen have a zero aggressive rating.  I did notice less penalties per 5 and 7 minute period games.  There were still some but it "seemed" less than usual and I simmed 7 games.  I know it is a small sample size but seems note-worthy unless someone is able to confirm otherwise.  I also figured out why my original findings seemed to suggest there was no difference.  I missed a few players in NOSE which might have altered my findings.  Once I made four teams, with all zeros, it seemed to yield less penalties in simmed games.  

Anywho... back to "oddities"...
I think this might have been mentioned before, somewhere on this forum, but if not... Patrick Roy, for goalies with 10 or more starts, had the 8th highest rated Save % in 1992-93.  We know Goalie Defensive Awareness translates to Save %.  Three goalies have a 6 rating (Belfour, Joseph and Potvin) and they were in the top 3 in 1992-93.  There are 10 goalies with a rating of 5.  Roy is not one of them despite being 8th in the league that year.  Had he been assessed a 5, he'd have the same overall rating as Belfour (98).  The "Eagle" did win the Vezina that year so maybe the programmers didn't want two goalies who are equal in NHL94 to take away from his achievement?  Certainly, we know that Roy was a top 3 goalie, in the league, at that time, despite an off-year for regular season stats.  Or, maybe the programmers were Blackhawks fans who were bitter that the Canadiens ended up with the Cup (Roy won Conn Smyth)?  Hmmmm... lol

Anyway, seems like a good "oddity" within NHL94.

Edited by Sauce
  • Like 3

15 hours ago, Sauce said:

Not to interrupt the discussion regarding speed/agility but I want to retract what I said earlier (couple of posts ago) about aggression.  Aggression has been confirmed to be tied to fighting tendency in NHL 93 but in NHL 94, it is most definitely tied to penalties.  Looking at stats from the 1992-93 season, players with the highest PIMs were assessed 6s and 5s on down, in the game.  So, it makes sense or why bother even having the numbers match stats?  It's not an exact science as to who will take penalties and when but it does seem likely that certain players may be prone to take more or at least, each game, if given more ice time.

I did some more sim tests and took four teams in which I made all forwards and Dmen have a zero aggressive rating.  I did notice less penalties per 5 and 7 minute period games.  There were still some but it "seemed" less than usual and I simmed 7 games.  I know it is a small sample size but seems note-worthy unless someone is able to confirm otherwise.  I also figured out why my original findings seemed to suggest there was no difference.  I missed a few players in NOSE which might have altered my findings.  Once I made four teams, with all zeros, it seemed to yield less penalties in simmed games.  

Anywho... back to "oddities"...
I think this might have been mentioned before, somewhere on this forum, but if not... Patrick Roy, for goalies with 10 or more starts, had the 8th highest rated Save % in 1992-93.  We know Goalie Defensive Awareness translates to Save %.  Three goalies have a 6 rating (Belfour, Joseph and Potvin) and they were in the top 3 in 1992-93.  There are 10 goalies with a rating of 5.  Roy is not one of them despite being 8th in the league that year.  Had he been assessed a 5, he'd have the same overall rating as Belfour (98).  The "Eagle" did win the Vezina that year so maybe the programmers didn't want two goalies who are equal in NHL94 to take away from his achievement?  Certainly, we know that Roy was a top 3 goalie, in the league, at that time, despite an off-year for regular season stats.  Or, maybe the programmers were Blackhawks fans who were bitter that the Canadiens ended up with the Cup (Roy won Conn Smyth)?  Hmmmm... lol

Anyway, seems like a good "oddity" within NHL94.

Its funny that Aggression doesn't get any in-game bonuses applied to it. All the other ones (except for the Fighting stat, Spd and Agl, and Wgt of course) get bonuses. I always thought Checking is used to determine if the player will check, and thus eventually cause a PIM.

Ray Bourque has an Aggression of 2 and a checking of 6, and he's very aggressive and is always in the penalty box.

• 1 month later...