NHL'94 Forums

Sega Genesis Mini - NHL 94 Rom (Hakchi 2CE) Issue

Hi all -- apologies if this has already been answered (I searched and couldn't find it), but I downloaded the genesis rom from this site and then installed it onto my genesis mini via Hakchi 2CE and I'm having an issue. The game loads up just fine, but controls don't work...not one button. Any idea what I can do here? Thanks so much for the help! 

This is a common issue and you are not being daft, don't worry.

You didn't mention if you are using Retroarch or something else with the system, so I will assume RA but the same point applies generally.  You just need to remap the buttons for the core in question and either apply the settings specifically to NHL '94 or for all Genesis games that you have loaded up.  I have about 12 systems installed on my GM and pretty much had to remap each core separately, which was a pain in the ass at the time but worth it now.

Here is a video from YouTube that explains how to remap buttons for use with a 6 button controller.  It will still be helpful even if you are using a 3 button controller, as the main thing is figuring how to get into the Retroarch menu from the game and then a bit of trial and error after that: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Uh6PXS7gJwc&ab_channel=PattonPlays.

The thing to note is that RA's button set-up is a bit weird.  So, you might have to experiment a bit to work out what button in the RA menu corresponds with each Genesis button.  I think, at least on mine, "Y" is "C" on mine when it probably shouldn't be.  At least with NHL '94 it is easy to test (shoot, dump the puck etc.).

Hope this helps.

Definitely recommend using RetroArch over the Mini's default emulator. The default emulator creates a weird issue where every shot is a backhand regardless of ice position and handedness.

• 8 months later...

I've been do a slow sega build the pass few weeks with Hakchi. Hockey 94 along with Larussa baseball, and a bunch of other titles doesnt play well or play at all with the in house emulator.  What I really like about Hakchi compared to lunar is all you have to do is install the module and  the segaplus gx core to the mini , thats it. After that you can launch the game from the main menu , use A button for the inhouse emulator or the start button which launches the title directly from the main menu using retroarch in the background.   Only kind of annoying thing is you have to do after playing is exit retroarch to get back to the main sega menu if you don't the power switch doesnt turn off the system. I was lucky not to have to remap anything, all my sega controllers worked out of the gate, which wasnt the case with retroarch on the psclassic.