NHL'94 Forums

SNES B Playoffs

Guest BSDaemon

Guest BSDaemon

I know it's been discussed at length already in other threads, but I was really looking at the SNES B standings last night and I'd like to make a suggestion.

I propose we cut down the number of teams that make the playoffs in half. Now, before you all lose your cool and jump at my throat, let me explain.

With the exception of San Jose, there are exactly 4 teams in each conference who have played 10+ games so far. I'm willing to bet that this ratio will stay nearly the same all the way through.

Now, if the top 4 teams from each conference make the playoffs, then there are 3-4 teams in each conference that will be fighting for a playoff spot - something we should be encouraging. And then there will be the bottom of the pack, teams who seem unlikely to finish with enough games played to even be considered a contender.

Look at the real NHL standings at the end of a season. In one conference, 8 teams make it. The next 2 or 3 usually had a chance at the playoffs and really made a run for it near the end, only to fall short. And the bottom couple teams never had a chance, and were out of it long before the trade deadline even.

I think that creates a good ratio, and I think it should be something we try. If nothing else, it might encourage the 5th-8th place teams to get some more games in, and really make a push to make the playoffs. I mean, honestly, the idea of somebody making the playoffs with an 0-2 record, or even worse, an 0-0 record, is not an easy one to swallow. Let's make these people earn it!

Obviously the other GENS leagues and SNES A are probably completely different, this is just a suggestion for SNES B.

I happen to think 16 teams making the playoffs is fine for where the league is in its development (my opinion may change in the future). But I'm not a fan of teams that don't play most of the games on their schedules making it. I think a rule that says that teams that don't play at least N games during the regular season may not qualify for the playoffs is perfectly appropriate, and if fewer than 16 teams qualify, the top seeds would get first-round byes.

I happen to think 16 teams making the playoffs is fine for where the league is in its development (my opinion may change in the future). But I'm not a fan of teams that don't play most of the games on their schedules making it. I think a rule that says that teams that don't play at least N games during the regular season may not qualify for the playoffs is perfectly appropriate, and if fewer than 16 teams qualify, the top seeds would get first-round byes.
maybe they should let some of us hardcore players takeover some teams in snes league to help things get moving cause obviously alot of teams arent going to complete their games and i was told to talk to schartz but the guy is never online.

Guest BSDaemon

Um... re-read my post... thats exactly what I said.

Um... re-read my post... thats exactly what I said.

Um... No it's not. You propose cutting the number of playoff spots from 16 to 8. I said we should keep them at a max of 16, but disqualify teams if they don't play N games on their schedule (say, 35). So 16 could still make it, if everyone was playing their games like they should.

Um... No it's not. You propose cutting the number of playoff spots from 16 to 8. I said we should keep them at a max of 16, but disqualify teams if they don't play N games on their schedule (say, 35). So 16 could still make it, if everyone was playing their games like they should.

I would rather go with Daemon on this because your setting a limit like that. It's ridiculous. What if I cannot find people to play games with, such as the ones who have 0 played, what if because of those I don't meet up to the number N. I'm SOL, because you set a limit. If you're going to punish people punish the ones who didn't try. Don't allow them to play next time.

Peace!!

I would rather go with Daemon on this because your setting a limit like that. It's ridiculous. What if I cannot find people to play games with, such as the ones who have 0 played, what if because of those I don't meet up to the number N. I'm SOL, because you set a limit. If you're going to punish people punish the ones who didn't try. Don't allow them to play next time.

Peace!!

I'm more thinking of the people who didn't try and gave up FFs, not the people who did try but got DNPs. But you make a good point, I should have been more specific.

Guest BSDaemon
I happen to think 16 teams making the playoffs is fine for where the league is in its development

I disagree. I think 16 teams is fine for a league that has enough players (who complete games) to warrant having 16 players. We don't, so 16 is too much. Again, I'm basing this on current league statistics, rather then personal opinion.

I disagree. I think 16 teams is fine for a league that has enough players (who complete games) to warrant having 16 players. We don't, so 16 is too much. Again, I'm basing this on current league statistics, rather then personal opinion.

I hear what you're saying, but actually that's exactly why I would want to stay with 16. I think because it's been hard to get people to complete their games, cutting the field from 16 to 6 will make it even harder to convince the #10-20 guys to finish up with no hope of making the playoffs. The DNPs might get a lot worse.

Just one man's opinion.

Guest BSDaemon
I hear what you're saying, but actually that's exactly why I would want to stay with 16. I think because it's been hard to get people to complete their games, cutting the field from 16 to 6 will make it even harder to convince the #10-20 guys to finish up with no hope of making the playoffs. The DNPs might get a lot worse.

Just one man's opinion.

I'm thinking the opposite, that if they dont play their games they dont make playoffs, it might give them a reason to do so. and if they STILL dont play, well... then they arent in contention anyway.

In short, I don't think we should give people who don't play a playoff spot. Just imagine how slowly the playoffs will crawl if people who dont play make it in!

Guest BSDaemon
I know we disagree on the best plan, but I agree with this general sentiment whole-heartedly.

Well then, based on the current snes B league stats, youd see 8 teams per conference making the playoffs. There should always be a couple of people who DO play that dont make it, otherwise playoff races are non existant. so if you drop off the bottom 3 that dont play, and the next couple that do, it just makes sense to cut it off at 8 :blink:

I like the ideas being thrown around in here and I'm going to talk to evan about it. There 16 team playoffs were made to accomodate a larger coach roster and now that we are down to 18 in the SNES divisions I actually like to see a smaller cut-off. It's nice to be able to include as many people as possible, but last seasons playoffs was starting to get to me as I just really wanted to finally see a winner.

Guest BSDaemon

Yeah, when you have 4 teams in the playoffs who don't play their games... the playoffs will drag on and on even more then last year

Heck, even 12 teams with a bye thrown in there (as much as i hate byes)